Author Topic: Jane Younger (nee Hunter)  (Read 56968 times)

Offline deemas

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Younger (nee Hunter)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow,  am I glad I came here. 

Macalloa,  this is indeed the right Robert Younger.  According to William's marriage Certificate  his father Robert's wife was Ann McDowell.  Thank you very much for your help.

Clootie I think you are my cousin.  I am the daughter of Violet and you are one of Jame's two daughters (you were a bridesmaid at my wedding!!)

I'd love to see the family tree  (my mother had one too, but I was never able to find it) 

Is it OK to put email addresses here?

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help.

Therefore the bloke in Lasswade must also be your cousin, as far as I can tell.

My e-mail is

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline deemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm not so sure about the Lasswade connection Macalloa.  My grandmother had four children.  As Clootie said, they were Jane (Jeannie), Margaret, Violet and James.   Jane had one child only (She died in childbirth in what was then Persia) Margaret had no children, Violet had one daughter (me) and James had two daughters. (one being Clootie) 
We might be getting to second cousins here :)  My email address is  (*) 
However looking at your excerpt from the Rev Hallan's book, it does seem that Robert's son William, born in 1848 is my gg grandfather (and Clootie's too)   
I have a bit of information about William Douglas Younger from the 1881 Census and he had several children.  At that time William was 33 years old.  His wife Jane (Edgar) was 29 and their children were Robert aged 8, Catherine aged 5,  Jane Edgar Younger aged 1.  They lived at No 19 South Constitution St, Aberdeen.   By the time the next census happened (1891), they had moved and had more children.   William Douglas (aged 8 in 1891), James aged 4 and Alexander aged 2. 

So quite a lot of family to follow up on :)

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

Offline deemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 January 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Clootie,  if you would like to email me I can send you copies of the various certificates I have which would interest you.  Our grandmother's birth certificate, and her marriage certificate when she married James Knox Russell, and her parents marriage certificate (William Douglas Younger and Jane Edgar)
I haven't managed to get any documentation on William's father, Robert Younger and his wife Anne (McDowell) yet, but with all the information from Macalloa :)  hopefully I can go a stage further. 

Offline deemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 January 09 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Clootie,  I also have several family photographs - ie: family groups, wedding pics, etc which I would be happy to scan and send to you. 

Offline clootie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 January 09 22:30 GMT (UK) »
My E mail is (*)  . My father was also James knox Russell and he had three daughters. I do remember being a bridesmaid to a relative up in Inverurie when I was about  6yrs old. I remember your name now - I see where your user name comes from. What a small world!

Offline deemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 January 09 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed Clootie.  Of course I remember your father, my Uncle Jake, but I didn't know he had three daughters - I thought only two.   So maybe it was one of your older sisters who was my bridesmaid.   I do recollect that one of them was about 6 years old, the other perhaps a little older - thanks for your email address.  I'll send you some of the pics and other info.

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 January 09 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Deemas, I suspect you are correct, second cousin to the Lasswade connection.

I'm no genealogist !!!

Maybe I should set up a website - FamiliesReunited !!!

Two aspects of the Younger clans that I noticed - many of the female members outlive their husbands by many years - and several of the children died young.

Janet Younger (nee McEwan) who was mother of George, First Viscount Leckie, outlived her husband James by 44 years. One of her other 4 sons died aged 15.

A number of the various male lines also died quite young.

Offline deemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 January 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
:) You are doing a great job reuniting this family Macalloa.  I'm in touch with Clootie and we are going to exchange photographs and information. 

I have just started doing this geneaology thing.  I was telling my 'new' cousin that I only went to my first class last week (find your ancestors!) and all the information I had at the time was my grandfather and grandmothers names.  I've come a long way since then!! and maybe I'm even going to find a Vicount or a Baronet for my family tree!    I live in Australia and I reckon when I go back next Monday I'll be top of the class ...unless one of the other people there has found a convict ancestor .... which is quite likely, and over here a convict would definitely trump a Baronet, even if he was a brewer :)

I'm not sure about the women in my family living longer than the men but I have noticed that there seem to be more girls born than boys.  My grandfather had three daughters and a son and between the four of them they had five girls and no boys.   

I'm not quite sure how I connect to  Janet Younger (nee McEwan) who was mother of George, First Viscount Leckie, but I will work on it - always nice to have fancy connections :)