Author Topic: Jane Younger (nee Hunter)  (Read 56969 times)

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Younger (nee Hunter)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 09:41 BST (UK) »
Lorrie21,

Thanks for that. I'll try and digest all these connections later.

I'm a native of Alloa and my family has deep roots here over several generations.

I'll post the photo tonight.

I have photos of the 1st Viscount's grave in Greenside cemetery which includes other family members and that of the McEwan's headstone as well. I also have that of William McEwan's grave at Great Bookham in Surrey.

Clackmannanshire Council have records of burials going way back - that is how I located the Younger and McEwan sites - Greenside has not been used for many years now. I can easily give you their number for further investigation.

I did spot other Younger headstones there - but I was'nt looking for anything earlier than the generation born in the mid 19th century.

If you have an e-mail address I can attach the photos direct, rather than post them all here.

I also have contact details for some current members of various branches of the Younger family - all have been very helpful.

If you have'nt already done so - get down to your local library and dig out Burke's Peerage as it contains extensive details on the Younger family, I found it invaluable. Also, "Who's Who" and "Who Was Who" was very useful.

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Macalloa and Lorrie 21
I have been away and return to find my query has taken on a life of its own.  If you send me your email addresses I have a typewritten family history in which you may both be interested. It gives quite extensive details of the family going way back.  I have spent some time verifying its validity, but it is very interesting.
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline deemas

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I have just started researching my family tree and I haven't got very far yet.  So far I have found that my grandmother, whose name was Jane Edgar Younger, born in December 1879, was the daughter of William Douglas Younger of Alloa, who was born in/around 1848.  His wife was Jane Edgar, born in Renfrewshire. William Douglas's father was called Robert Younger (Brewer)   
This is as far as I have got but I noticed that 'Macalloa' is researching the Younger family and I wonder if I could ask for help to get a stage further

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 January 09 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning.

I'm more interested in the local brewing tradition than the genealogy of the Younger/McEwan family, however I have found that helpful.

I assume that Robert Younger (1820-1901) is the member of the Alloa brewing family that interests you ? He moved to Edinburgh circa 1850 and worked for Dryboroughs there before opening his own brewery there in 1854.

His great grandson, David Younger (see below), was co-founder of Broughton Ales near Biggar - and one of their brews, "Scottish Oatmeal Stout" bears the portrait of Robert Younger on the label - see www.broughtonales.co.uk for details etc.

Robert was younger brother of James Younger (1818-1868) who married Janet McEwan (1822-1912), sister of the William McEwan who was to become one of the most famous names in the Scottish (and British) brewing industry.

Robert's parents were George Younger (1790-1853) who married Jane Hunter (1792-1890) in 1818.

Capt. (John) David Bingham Younger lives in the Borders (Blyth Bridge, West Linton) - he helped kindly me with my research. I'm sure he'll be glad to assist.

Hope this helps.

Offline deemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 January 09 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Macalloa.  However I think that maybe I'm on the wrong track because I have a copy of the marriage certificate of  William Douglas Younger.  It's a bit hard to read but It says that when William Douglas married (1871) his father, Robert was deceased!  Thanks anyway.

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 January 09 10:12 GMT (UK) »
OK.

The Younger families used the same male Christain names across the generations.

I have some information gleamed from a copy of a letter that the Scottish Brewing Archives sent me.

Quote - "My great grandfather Robert Younger, b 1802, the father of my granny Anne Younger, was the brother of George Younger, brewer, b 1790, and uncle of James and of Robert Younger who founded St.Anns Brewery in Edinburgh."

I suspect that would be the Robert Younger you are interested in ?

The letter was written in 1996 by a gentlemen in West Lothian in response to research being carried out by Alma Topen for the SBA. I have the address etc., however I would not wish to pass it on without his permission.

Offline deemas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 January 09 10:57 GMT (UK) »
You might be right there Macalloa. They did all seem to give their eldest sons and daughters the same Christian name as their parents.  (My own parents fell out with my paternal grandparents because they wouldn't call me Fanny which was a family tradition! I am so grateful to them :)   Anyway I am finding it a bit confusing (just the fact that I am trying to research the name ‘Younger’ makes it tricky as the word ‘younger’ is used all the time, ie: younger sister, brother etc!)   
Yes, according to his son William’s marriage Certificate, the Robert Younger who was my gg grandfather was a Brewer (deceased) and although William lived in Aberdeen at the time of his marriage, his place of birth was Alloa. 

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 January 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can see how you would be happy at avoiding that given name !!!

;D

I've now come across another excellent source, "An Account of the Family of Younger" by the Rev.A.W.Cornelius Hallen, published 1889.

Here is the reference to Robert Younger that interests you - the son of James Younger (1763-1809)

"Robert, born 15th February 1802, died 10th October 1851, having married at Dumfries, in 1833, Ann McDowall, who died 1884. He had issue -

1. James, born 1834, died 1840. 
2. Ann, married 1st __?__Craig, ad, J.Robinson.
3. George born 1838, died 1843.
4. Robert, born 1840, drowned at Alloa Ferry aged 5 years.
5. Mary, married __?__ Hunter, Aberdeen.
6. Hannah, married Robert Glass.
7. James, born 1846, died at Durham 1873.
8. William, born 1848, now in Aberdeen.
9. Robert, born 1850, died at Weston, Co.York 1887

Two sons named Robert - that helps to confuse the issue, literally !!!

Offline clootie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 January 09 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I just stumbled upon this thread last night and couldn't believe my eyes. My grandmother was also Jane Younger born 1879 whose father was william younger born 1848. I never knew the relatives on this side of the family , we must be cousins!
jane had 4 children. Jane, Margaret , Violet  and James. I am the youngest daughter of james (and my middle name is younger). You must be the child of one of the daughters. I have a family tree here of the Youngers back to Thomas Younger of Craigton in 1598. Not much information on it though just names and some dates.