Author Topic: Alexander Baird & Agnes Wilson marriage  (Read 16435 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Baird & Agnes Wilson marriage
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 May 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Given Alexander's birth year, he likely served in WW2? If so, maybe ordering his service papers would give you more relevant personal info than you will find elsewhere.

I ordered my father's and there was a huge amount of personal info on the forms for him which was great to have.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline staceytully

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 May 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
I have Alexander Juniors marriage certificate to my great gran on the 27th of January 1929 in Shettleston. On the marriage certificate his Dad, Alexander Senior was listed as an electrical engineer who had deceased and his Mum was remarried to a Mr Tait. I have spoken to family who remember that at the time of his death, they couldn't find a birth certificate for him.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 May 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
What is the exact wording in the column for mother's name?

Offline staceytully

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 May 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Agnes Baird now Tait M. S Wilson

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
There is an Alexander Baird born in 1899 in Campsie. He was illegitimate and he and his mother Agnes Wilson were living with her parents in Torrence at East Balgrochan during the 1901 Census.  His birth states his father was John a ploughman from Kirkintilloch signed by his own hand.  Maybe Alexander never new his father; maybe his mother told him his name was Alexander.  Then again this could be simply a coincidence and not the one you seek.

If you get Agnes death please let us know who here parents were.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
That is a good possibility, Don.

I think Alexander and mother Agnes that you found are still showing at home in Campsie with her father George in the 1911 census. Mother I think was an Ann Small who died c. 1904. This is just from general searches in the index on SP. Alexander showing as Wilson on this 1911 census entry I believe.

I can only find one Agnes Wilson/Tait marriage and likely corresponding death for this Agnes in the Glasgow area in the 1940s. Her parents on her death showing as James and Agnes (maiden name for her mother not known by John, son).

This Agnes married a William James Tait in 1900 and they show on the census I think for 1901 in the Lanarkshire area. From this census, this Agnes born in Kilsyth area of Stirlingshire.

I cannot see another marriage/death so far for an Agnes Wilson, married to a Tait  :-\

Curious to know the detail re parents from Alexander's death in Stirling in later years if you have them, Stacey.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline staceytully

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
I don't have a copy of his death certificate, i think i only took info from the entry while researching in Edinburgh,which list them both as deceased. As I said previously regarding the wedding, Alexander Baird snr is recorded as deceased at the point of Alexander Juniors wedding. My Gran was named after Alexander Juniors Mum, she was Agnes Wilson Baird.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
I have another option but I am away from my PC so it will have to wait until I return.  It relates to Jr.'s residence at the time he was married which was Newmains Farm in EKB.  Newmains was a tenancy of Gavin and John Wilson up until late 1930's.  But its Robert's potential father, Alexander Baird was b 1970/71 at Woodside, EKB, who came to mind. 

He was the son of William/Marg Struthers. The family moved to Dykehead in Hamilton then a couple of other farms eventually staying put in Glassford.  I don't think he ever married and died in WWI but I can't say for sure until I return. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline staceytully

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
If you could have a look when you get time that would be awesome.