Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 73891 times)

Offline aussie carver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 December 08 07:23 GMT (UK) »
hi Carver Cousins.
Seasons greetings from where it is even 23* in the sea !!! So we are drinking very cold beers.
Thanks for all the help since I had the great fortune to find this 'worm"

Janan remember there is also the John Carver of my line- son of Rev John and Ann- who was born sometime 1860s. "Captain" soldier John is probably/maybe the same John who married  11/5/1815 Ann Houghton Irthlingborough ( his sisters were also married there) and I recall seeing somewhere that he was a widow. Thus a previous marriage ??.
Sorry to continue to muddy the waters without concret facts. But it may be of help.
Aussie carver

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 January 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I will be visiting Bedford Archives on Monday and Tuesday.  has anybody got anything they would like me to look up?

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 January 09 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Very kind offer Chris :D

The only Carver related work I will have to do myself but there is something else which I will PM you with

Thank you

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Intending to spend 2 days in Bedford, I was extremely lucky in being the only researcher there for most of Monday and had the Archivist James' almost undivided attention.  One of his areas of expertise is Non Conformists and he was able to guide me through lots of records/books very quickly.

As an aside Bedfordshire parishes (apart from non-conformist records)are totally indexed and on IGI.  There are relatively few Carvers appearing in these, especially pre 1700.

A major problem is that the Carvers mainly appear in parishes close to the extremities of Bedfordshire, so they could easily have come into Beds drom the surrounding counties (Bucks, Northants, Cambs).  James also said that a lot of incomers came down the River Ouse from Norfolk (Kings Lynn to Bedford) in the mid 1600s.

As to nonconformists, they appear in parish records for marriages and burials, but not Baptisms, so I had little luck with my Southill lot.  There are very few non conformist baptisms available for Bedfordshire.   However, Southill Independent Church was founded in 1696 from the Bedford Independent Church which in turn had migrated from Wellingborough, so Northants may be a place for further research.

The nonconformists were strong in a few parishes (Carlton, Stevington, Keysoe, Southill), so my Thomas Carvel/Carver of Turvey may have had links with the first 3 or Wellingborough before settling in Southill.  Interestingly there is a Samuel Carver, labourer, marriage to Martha Bankes on 7 Jul 1701 in Keysoe.  Given the naming pattern of Samuel/Thomas/Samuel/Thomas etc in the family, perhaps this could be a contender for Thomas of Turvey, although he would have been young when he married in 1720. Martha was buried 23 Dec 1702, possibly she died in childbirth?  But proving a link would be virtually impossible.

Having exhausted most avenues on the Monday, I decided to come forward in time and pursue the Carvers of Hitchin who I was fairly certain were my ancestors.  I spent Tuesday at Hertford and had a most profitable day, the results of which I will post on the Carver of Hitchin thread.

Hope this makes sense,

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Glad you had a fruitful time. I love the Bedfordshire Archives - they are so helpful.

Just been looking through the earliest Carver records -

Burials in Dean 1606 - 1616 include 2 Samuels and a Thomas. Dean now seems to be in Hunts.

Marriage in Sutton your namesake Chris Carver to Isabel Norman in 1551

Look forward to reading your Hitchin info

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 January 09 09:10 GMT (UK) »

As an aside Bedfordshire parishes (apart from non-conformist records)are totally indexed and on IGI. 

Just to clarify, all Beds parishes pre 1812 have been transcribed and the transcripts are available from BLARS or Beds FHS. Whilst virtually all have been extracted onto the IGI there is the odd parish that slipped through the net, Ravensden being one, and perhaps for a different reason, Everton being another. So "almost totally on IGI"!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 January 09 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Sorry I did mean pre 1812, but didn't know anout the 2 missing parishes on IGI.  Wish all counties were as organised as Beds!

Chris

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

Does anybody "claim" the Mary Carver married to Jos Negus in Southill in 1780?

I can't place her from my known Southill Carvers, but wonder if she is the orphaned daughter of Samuel and Mary Carver b1761 in Hitchin.

Chris

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

Does anybody "claim" the Mary Carver married to Jos Negus in Southill in 1780?

I can't place her from my known Southill Carvers, but wonder if she is the orphaned daughter of Samuel and Mary Carver b1761 in Hitchin.  This might make sense as she disppeared from Herts after the death of her parents by 1767 and could have been taken in by her grandparents or uncle John.

Chris