Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 73893 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 20:16 GMT (UK) »
In message #83 in the first Carver thread Beverley listed a Mary Carver as a daughter of John and Ann Carver of Southill, taken from John's will. I don't know the date of the will, or if Mary was named as Mary Carver, Mary Negus, or simply my daughter Mary.

This might be the most obvious Mary, but it needs more research, particularly the will

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion. John died in 1797 in Wellingborough and Bev has daughter Mary as marrying William Hall in 1803 in Northants.

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 September 09 19:04 BST (UK) »
1911 census update on Emma Cox Carver (1854-1928).

Hi All,

Blessedly the enumerator for the 1911 census covering Emma made a mistake.  He entered details of her children even though she was already a widow.  The enumerator then crossed out these numbers but they are still readable.   The intriguing aspect of the numbers is that she had eight living children in 1911 - these are known...

1.  Jonah
     2.  Ada
     3.  George (aka Thomas)
     4.  Frederick
     5.  Fanny
     6.  Louisa
     7.  Samuel Jnr.
     8.  Thomas

...the really interesting bit is that she had four other children (twelve in all) who were dead by 1911.   These four were completely unknown to me.   So, on the presumption that these died in childbirth or soon after, we might have unattributed Carver burials of infants who belong to Emma Cox Carver.   How have I missed four?  Any ideas anyone?

PS: The number of years married is given as 28.  Emma and Samuel Snr. were married 28 years and 10 months (1873-1902)  which further validates the numbers for children as being genuine.

Cheers,

Neil.

:-\

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 September 09 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

I have a similar problem - my g grandparents Robert and Hannah Carver claim to have had 5 children born alive 2 of whom had died by 1911. However there is only one Carver death in Luton between 1893 and 1911 and that is Robert's father James.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 05 September 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
I have found three good candidates for the missing four deceased children of Emma Cox Carver.  (Always good when notes you took five years ago pay off!)   They are:

Jane Carver buried 24.3.1888 Hunslet aged 2
William Carver buried 23.2.1889 Hunslet aged 4 months
Thomas Carver buried 4.2.1891 Hunslet aged 6 months

What I know of this family's movements is that the last activity I have in East Ardsley is through Lydia's death in 1884.  They then seemed to have moved on.  They were in Hunslet on the 1891 census.  In terms of positioning:

They all fit around Samuel (b. 1887), Jane before and William and Thomas after and all before Thomas Edward (b. 1895 in Beeston Hill and not Hunslet).  Additional credence can be taken that the 1895 Thomas was baptised 'Thomas Edward' which would make sense if a previous 'Thomas' had come and gone.

There is another infant Carver buried in the Hunslet cemetery; Jane Annie Carver aged 5 months but she was buried according to my notes too early for 'us' on 5.1.1880.

I do not have immediate access to Hunslet baptisms from this period so any help here gratefully received.  It may be of course no baptisms took place...

Neil.

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 05 September 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
...And while I've got the hood up.  At nearby Woodhouse Cemetery, Leeds, we have two Carver infants buried who are also candidates for our missing bunch:

Alice Carver died 28.11.1897 aged 5
Florence Carver died 21.11.1897 aged 4

These two died within a week of each other.

Either one of these would slot neatly after the ones referenced above (born 1892 and 1893ish) and before Thomas Edward (b. 1895) who would himself be buried in Woodhouse in 1912.   We know the Carver family moved nearer to the centre of Leeds around this period.  Emma's husband (Smauel Snr.) died in Holbeck in 1902 and they were all in Holbeck on the 1901 census.

Cheers,

Neil.

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 September 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
Wow! :D  You've been busy, Neil!

Thanks very much for sharing the info you've discovered!

Sandra
Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anybody tell me the source of the Samuel Thomas Carver apprenticeship to Edward Watts of Hitchin in 1744.  If so, do you have a copy of the original?

Barbara has also found a baptism in Melbourn Cambs of Mary Ann d/o Joseph Stockbridge and Rebecca Ann Carver.  Rebecca was mooted as being the daughter of Thomas Carver and Elizabeth Patson.

By the way, for those who don't read the Herts carver thread, I have finall proved that Samuel Carver (of Bowles and Carver fame) is the son of Samuel Carver who was apprenticed to Ed Watts above.  We have now proved conclusively that we are descended from the Southill Carvers.

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

The information about the apprenticeship is from Inland Revenue records see

http://www.englishorigins.com/help/popup-aboutbo-appgb2.htm

This also clarifies the two names Saml and Thos

Samuel is the the forename of the apprentice, Thomas the name of his father :D

A copy of the actual indenture would be available from BLARS if it has survived - it probably doesn't contain any more info but would be nice to have.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge