Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 73894 times)

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 November 08 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Jan!

I'm sorry I posted the question as I should have dug into my box of papers a little deeper before posting it as I've pretty much found most of the answers there.  I also had a look at the Bird family thread on RootsWeb which helped a great deal, also.

Sorry to have bothered you, thanks for your patience! :)

Have a great day!

Sandra
Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 November 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
No problem Sandra :D

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 November 08 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan - the latest 1:10,000 Ordnance Survey map still labels there as being a graveyard just north of the former hospital buildings on the north side of North Drive at Three Counties Asylum, although an aerial photograph I have of the site from 2000 shows the land in question as grass - no sign of any gravestones.  Houses have been built on the field immediately east of the graveyard, with the name Shaftesbury Drive.  The old hospital chapel lies just south of Shaftesbury Drive.  Search Google maps for "Shaftesbury Drive Stotfold" and you'll easily be able to spot the chapel from their aerial photo.
http://maps.google.co.uk

(Although the hospital was universally known locally as Arlesey, it actually lies in the parish of Stotfold - and since it's been redeveloped for luxury flats and housing, Stotfold has been in the postal address.  I can't help thinking Arlesey got a poor deal there - the name of their village is associated with the old Asylum, but not the luxury development!)
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 November 08 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of the satellite map - the west drive is incredibly long, no wonder they originally had a tramway. The area of the burial ground is very clear and the view of the chapel particularly good. I hope  one day I will get up there for a wander round and pay my respects to the general area in which my great grandfather Robert Carver is buried (and my gran's brother also Robert). In the book 'A Place in the Country' it says only staff graves had stones, patients were marked by small wooden of iron crosses numbered for reference. By 1897 there was an estimated 2000 graves and the burial ground was extended.

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 December 08 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Just on my way back from Australia where I had the great pleasure of meeting "cousin" Bev (Aussie Carver).  We had a really good chat about the Carvers and I was able to go through her research notes.  It was apparent from reading various emails that lots of people on this thread have info that may have only been shared with some not all (or I didn't recall having seen it! - senior moment?). 

Anyway, once I get back to UK I will sort through this and see if indeed it was new to me and on the thread.  If not, I will attempt to post relevant details.

I hope to be visiting Bedford in Jan for dome research, although whether I will find anything new is open to debate.

My thanks to Bev for her hospitality, good to meet you.

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 December 08 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris

Glad you had a good time in Australia. I think you are probably right that there are bits of info floating around that we haven't all picked up on. It is very difficult to tell exactly what is on Part 1 anyway it is so rambling :D And then, as you say, email discussions have gone on outside the thread. It had been my intention to try and pull stuff together at some point and post a summary, but it just hasn't happened yet!

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 December 08 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: janan link=topic=325277.msg2268960#msg2268960 date=1229680070
It is very difficult to tell exactly what is on Part 1 anyway it is so rambling [quote

Hi Jan,

Well it's called Carver Ramblings!  I don't know where we would be without it.  I have so much research to sort out, must make a resolution to do it, may have more time at home if pound keeps on sinking!

Anyway a Merry Christmas to all the "Carver cousins", this one is going to be so different for us in Korea, but we probably will have a white one!

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 December 08 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Do we know anything about the Isaac Carver (1706) referenced here on this website?

http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/whipple/explore/astronomy/mapsoftheheavens/thegunterquadrant/

Cheers,

Neil.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 December 08 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

I don't know anything about him - but googling shows he appears in an article re instrument making in London (article not available to read without payment sadly)

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale