Author Topic: Family of Samuel Cranch And Elizabeth nee Webb  (Read 18646 times)

Offline Cranch researcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Samuel Cranch And Elizabeth nee Webb
« Reply #45 on: Friday 03 October 08 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Bellbird,

You probably don't need to worry too much about Annie Muriel CRANCH around Carterton. The birth reference is for Auckland.
We have just about got what we need to say that she wasn't a direct member of the Samuel CRANCH family.
We do, however, need to wait for any info that Lei-anne has on the supposed illegitimate children before we close the door completely on Annie Muriel.
Cranch - Devon; London; Anywhere.
Moore - Honiton, Dev.

Offline Pentony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 04 October 08 03:59 BST (UK) »
Carterton reporting!

Found several mentions of CRANCH on Papers Past site, Auckland. Taranaki and Carterton... so assume several different families with the surname..  Never heard of this surname previously, but like most names, find it so interesting!! Have even asked some locals in Town, they had never come across the name previously..

I will check Parkvale School shortly, have their book here at home, save me going out!

Adele
Researcher for Carterton District and its Early Settlers Cemetery.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 05 October 08 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Adele,
No, technically only two families.
1.The family of Samuel CRANCH/Elizabeth WEBB - Carterton> Te Aroha> Cambridge etc
Samuel's nephews Frederick George CRANCH and Samuel Gill CRANCH left Devon and settled in Auckland.
Moore - Honiton, Dev.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 05 October 08 09:28 BST (UK) »
Oops! posted too soon! Start again.....
Hello Adele,
No, technically only two extended families.
1.  The family of Samuel CRANCH/Elizabeth WEBB - Carterton> Te Aroha> Cambridge etc
And Samuel's nephews, Frederick George CRANCH and Samuel Gill CRANCH, who left Devon and settled in Auckland.

2.  The family of William CRANCH/Mary GOLDSWORTHY - a Master mariner who based himself in the Thames/Auckland area. He was in Thames/Auckland as early as the 1850's.

They are of two different CRANCH lines within a very small area within south Devon.

Consequently, it is not surprising that current Carterton residents aren't familiar with the CRANCH surname.
Moore - Honiton, Dev.

Offline bellbird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 05 October 08 19:02 BST (UK) »
Morning Cranch Researcher,  In addition to  Pentony's Cranch conversation I have just received an email from another Cranch.  "My sister saw your ad in the Nz Women's Weekly looking for information on Samuel and Elizabeth Cranch.  Samuel Gill Cranch, my father, went to Carterton soon after arriving in NZ aboard the Athenic, in 1907.  He learnt the Butchery trade from George Deller in Carterton.  Elizabeth is unknown to us.  We have my Cranch family history back to 1730 and would be interested to compare notes with you. Cheers " I had seen a reference to a Samuel Gill twice in the family tree but had assumed it was the latter one which you have confirmed.    It would appear with reference to FT going back to 1730 he has one generation further back than what is on the FT I have and been given through you.  No doubt the Joseph Cranch and Mary Quarm  mentioned as being parents of the earliest William we have being born in South Milton Devon 1796.  Nice to find another relation after seeming to have none that I knew of.  Like find I have a family.  BELLBIRD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 06 October 08 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Bellbird,

I'm glad to see that you seem to be making the contacts that you'd hoped for.
Maybe you could let me know the details of Samuel's offspring by email, if that's not too much trouble.

I would also love to see the start of that Tree back to 1730. As I've mentioned  previously, the earliest confirmed ancestor that I have is Joseph CRANCH who married Rebecca ELWORTHY in Sept 1768 - so his birth can be presumed to be somewhere between 1728 and 1758 ( but I don't have anything to confirm that).

I'll attach a file to illustrate the branch of the family that includes Samuel Gill and Frederick George CRANCH (with notations).

I think that everyone that needed that file has now seen it.
Please PM me for current file if the family is of interest to you.
Moore - Honiton, Dev.

Offline grannyjane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 22 May 10 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie Murial Cranch (1905-1963) and Norman (William Robert) Warren were my grandparents. Muriels father was Thomas Cranch and mother Martha May Brown. Thomas had a sister Maria and parents were William Cranch and Mary Goldsworthy. Hope this helps.

Offline bellbird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 23 May 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Granny Jane  I've just got back to the computer after if playing up for sometime.  The folk you mention it appears aren't of my line but if you look at this rootschat site again about 3 or 4 above your info to me you'll see reference to the folk you mentioned.  It is by Cranch Researcher, she has alot of info on the Cranch family and as you will see that she has obviously traced your folk back to South Devon.  you should be able to contact her by PM if not any other way.  I've seen in the site Papers Past N.Z. the report of the drowning of the Captain.  It mentioned he had two sons, one who gave evidence of the drowning at the Coroners Inquest.  I have seen and will have the info somewhere as to where he and i think his wife are buried in Auckland.  If you wish to keep in contact I'd be interested to see what you can find re this family.
It would appear that the Captain was in NZ prior to my grandfather self immigrating himself to NZ. (i.e. jumping ship).  WAs Annie Muriel Cranch born in Cambridge, as I have a person of that name said to have been born in Cambridge while my family was there and as one Uncle had a child out of wedlock there I wondered if she was another.  Intriguing I have been in contact with the descendants of that child, the  boy didn't know he was adopted until he wanted a visa for a Pacific Island trip.  What a shock.  BELLBIRD

Offline bellbird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 24 May 10 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Grannyjane  If I remember right you said Annie Muriel was in Carterton.  My family were there at same time, intriguing.  Wonder if they were in touch or knew of  one another's presence.  My mother was the last of her family (born 1904) and was born there apparently started school there.  Must get hold of my contact in Carterton area and see if she knows anything.  BELLBIRD