Author Topic: Charles Gabriel KING 1887-1918 Kent ENGLAND & Manitoba CANADA  (Read 3917 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Gabriel KING 1887-1918 Kent ENGLAND & Manitoba CANADA
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 September 08 19:46 BST (UK) »
Harvest leave...ie: He was allowed to go harvest? family likely wrote them & said he was needed for the harvest...
it was allowed in WW2 as well....My uncle was pulled by his father and he was not happy about having to go back to the farm...
I'd say that discharge probably wasn't immediate, so this allowed an earlier release of duty....

ahhh...it was done systematically...they let them go some at a time so as to not be a giant amount of men looking for work at once...I can see that would have an impact...
http://www.jstor.org/pss/1885757
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 September 08 19:57 BST (UK) »
Holy mackeral!!!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04by/

discharge of men the first six months of 1919 was 400,000 a month....at a time when people were being let go from failing businesses...yikes...tough times...( later states that it should have taken them longer to release them as it was an economic/unemployment nightmare)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Marble town

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 April 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Louisa King, sister of Samuel and Charles.  Louisa married Benjamin Knight in High Halstow.  Would love to exchange info.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 April 17 21:15 BST (UK) »
The military file for Charles has been digitized so free to view...Mostly concerns the circumstances of his illness. Poor lads trudging in the cold wet mud for so many days on end.
http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B5160-S013

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 April 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
Here is Samuel's military file? Getting confused here as date of birth is right on but he says mother is Pauline... Whereas Charles' file said mother is Mrs. Samuel King, then Mrs. Minnie King, a widow....... Hmmmm.after thinking that through I realized yes, Polly & Minnie both nicknames for Mary....perhaps Samuel thought it was short for Pauline then???

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B5176-S009

O.K. then,  reading on he does say father is Samuel King? He also contracted Pneumonia and was treated here in Winnipeg at a military hospital. Records show he did not desert...Did not read every single word in there, but you will, so if you also see he was normally discharged & demobilized from action...Please inform rellies to rectify their claims.

Sometimes the lads were kept track of after they returned and
******There is a notation added that he died March 1st  1929 Winnipeg Manitoba*********
Have not yet found him on 1921 census, though....

Offline Marble town

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Seems Samuel and Mary Ann married under the name Grasby, Samuel was born as a Hampson, and when they moved to Kent changed to King, so difficult to trace and get facts correct.  Interesting to learn about Charles - thanks for clarifying.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry the date appears to have been Jan 3rd, I got the numbers backwards... Or did I? Different people put the facts onto the database so some did use different order of dates.
  You can send for details of Samuel's death from Vital Stats    https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
          Typo in there as says born 1919 but age 47 
   LAST NAME: KING    GIVEN NAMES: SAMUEL   DATE OF DEATH: 03/01/1929     AGE: 47

Offline Marble town

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Is sad reading in that he died.  However, I was able to get a better picture of my great uncle thanks to you.  I read through the discharge document, and interesting two things are important:  I noticed that his father's address is registered as The Square, High Halstow, which is the address I have for him, and so I am pretty confident this is the right Samuel King; his eyesight is queried (although difficult to read) and this is a family trait - unfortunately !!  I can do a bit more digging now with more confidence. 
This is my final reply to you with regard to Samuel, but just to say thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with this information - you have been so helpful and it is really appreciated.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 April 17 03:16 BST (UK) »
Here is Samuel's military file? Getting confused here as date of birth is right on but he says mother is Pauline... Whereas Charles' file said mother is Mrs. Samuel King, then Mrs. Minnie King, a widow....... Hmmmm.after thinking that through I realized yes, Polly & Minnie both nicknames for Mary....perhaps Samuel thought it was short for Pauline then???

Minnie was Charles' wife.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz