Author Topic: From Paisley to Glasgow  (Read 23758 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: From Paisley to Glasgow
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 17 March 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
This is the closest record I can find.

MACALLISTER
JOHN
Inhabitant Occupier
HOUSE MID AND EAST HENDERSON AND MOSSPARKS
ABBEY

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 18 March 18 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Greenock is Southwest of Glasgow - not North.
I have a map spread out in front of me.
West-north-west. Definitely not south or even south-west. Saltcoats is south-west from Glasgow.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 18 March 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
The Mrs Brock who waved to the ship is almost certainly the wife of Henry Brock, a local worthy who was instrumental in establishing the Clydesdale Bank. Their large villa was beside the river at Cessnock Bank, Govan. The paddle steamer Vulcan was built in 1833 and provided a service from Glasgow to Liverpool.

Imber

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline skypark13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for that info it's really appreciated. John McAllister does fit with the info that I have already found. Did you get the info from a census because I thought there was only a census taken in 1881 and 1891 or was it a valuation roll.
Thanks very much
Patricia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I thought there was only a census taken in 1881 and 1891 or was it a valuation roll.
The census was taken every 10 years, and you can see the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 ones at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline skypark13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks yes it was because the census was every 10 years I wondered where the listing came from where the date was 1885. The family were not on the census at that address in 1881 and by 1891 they had moved to Govan and I have all the info from 1891 census. I have an 1887 document where one of the family gave the address as Mosspark farm halfway by Govan.

Perhaps the John McAllister listed as inhabitant of that address was listed on a valuation roll. I was hoping to find how many of the family were living at the Mosspark farm address but if it is a valuation roll perhaps that wont be possible. Thanks again for your help.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 18 March 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes it was the Valuation Roll