Author Topic: Middlewich: Searching for John William Robinson, RAF  (Read 6932 times)

Offline dragonq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Middlewich: Searching for John William Robinson, RAF
« on: Saturday 06 September 08 07:49 BST (UK) »
I am researching the loss of Stirling Bomber, LK383 of 149 Squadron, Methwold, which was lost without trace on a mission to Brest in France on the night of 6/7 August 1944. My uncle, John Adolphe Prior was the navigator. The reason I am writing to this thread is that I am trying to trace the other crew members. One of them was a man called John William Robinson, aged 19, described as being the son of Levi and Martha Ann Robinson of Middlewich. I think the family may have been involved with the Congregational Church there. His service number was 2205557 and he is commemmorated with the rest of the crew on the Runnymede Memorial.

Can anyone at the UK end give me more information about John or his family, and especially, suggest if there might be any living relatives? A website is being set up about this plane, initially in French, but I am considering an English one. This was the last Stirling bomber to be lost on a bombing operation during World War II, as the plane was in the process of being phased out.

You can see the website here. If you can read French, it does provide quite a lot of additional information:
http://www.absa39-45.asso.fr/Pertes%20Bretagne/Finistere/7%20aout%201944/7_aout_44.htm

Also, a picture is attached, which I think may be of the crew. My uncle is the very tall fellow on the far left. John Robinson may possibly be the very young man on the right.
Prior (Wolverhampton), Nussey (Yorkshire and London), Kilmartin (Co. Galway and Co. Durham), Clothier (Lambeth), Collins (Manchester)

Offline kassi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Middlewich: Searching for John William Robinson, RAF
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
There is a LEVI Robinson 2 yrs of age living with parents John  and Lucy and other siblings(all older than him) in the 1901 census for Stanthorne, which is a suburb of Middlewich, Cheshire. the church in Middlewich is St Michaels and all angels and there is a wonderful web site  with lists of graves and plot numbers available from the Crewe branch of the Family History Society of Cheshire(small cost)  www.scfhs.org.uk/scfhs/pubs.html  . Hope this is of some help.     Kassi

Offline dragonq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 08 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Kassi,

Levi is such an unusual Christian name that I'd say this is almost certainly the same family. Someone born in 1899 or thereabouts would also be of an age to have a son who was 19 in 1944.

John Robinson, the son, has no grave, as the plane disappeared and probably went down in the sea off Brest. St Michael's sounds like an Anglican church unfortunately. The church the Robinson family seems to have been involved with was the Queen Street Congregational church--perhaps you can tell me if it is still around. Levi Robinson was the Sunday School Superintendant in the late 40s/early 50s.

Thanks for your help and prompt reply.

Natalie
Prior (Wolverhampton), Nussey (Yorkshire and London), Kilmartin (Co. Galway and Co. Durham), Clothier (Lambeth), Collins (Manchester)

Offline kassi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 08 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Again, The last time I was in Queen st, Middlewich, the congregational church building was still there,but not sure if it was still being used for that purpose! and I now live in Spain so have no way of looking for you! Have a look at this web site Carl's cam....www.carlscam.com/  the war memorial at middlewich mentions J W Robinson a picture of it can be viewed on the above under war memorials -Middlewich. I have found the Birth of a John William Robinson recorded 1924/26 at Sandbach(Cheshire East)near to Middlewich and recorded ref no SA/74/31 . As regards the current use of the congregational church, try posting a question about it on this site or contact the local Library or Police station!!!!                 Kassi

Offline dragonq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 08 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Kassi. Where exactly did you look up the birth entry? My John William was 19 when he died, so a 1924 birthday would be right.

I had a look at the war memorial picture. Pity it does not give more information. I am very frustrated because I have yet to find out who did what on the plane (apart from the pilot and navigator).

Thank you again for your help.

Offline kassi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I got the information on the Marriage of Levi and the birth of John William from Cheshire Births Marriage and Death index....www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ If you send for the records with the reference numbers given you will get where Levi was living at his marriage and his parents details, witnesses etc likewise with Birth certs ...Mothers maiden name fathers name and occupation etc  you can print of a request form with address of registrar by clicking on the reference number, it will cost £7 for each certificate.    regards Kassi

Offline dragonq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 08 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kassi. I'll see what information I can get for free before I start spending money on these chaps. There are six of them, so I can see how it might start and get expensive.

The Congregational Church in Queen Street is still well and truly alive and kicking. It's now a United Reformed Church. I have just written a letter to the church secretary, asking for help, so who knows? There could well be some memorial in the church. I know the one I go to has a Roll of Honour, as well as pews and various other bits and bobs which relatives donated in memory of lost loved ones, so you never know your luck until you try.

And anyway, even from these vague scraps of information a dim picture is emerging. What sort of a place was Sandbach at that time, do you know?

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 September 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
It might also be worth contacting Middlewich Heritage Society - they don't have a website but if you 'google' it you will find a contact number.  I believe that a couple of years' ago they were undertaking a project, with the help of local schoolchildren, talking to the older generation in the town about wartime memories.

There are also the two local newspapers - "Middlewich Chronicle" http://www.mediauk.com/newspapers/342210/middlewich-chronicle 
and "Middlewich Guardian"  http://www.middlewichguardian.co.uk/. I have quite often seen requests on the letters page for information on people who have lived in the town in the past.  (By the way, up to a few years ago there were definitely some Robinson families still living inthe town.)   
As you say, the United Reform church on Queen Street is very much still in use - I was married there myself a few years ago!!  :).

Good luck with your research
Dorothy
BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 September 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the extra tips, Dorothy. Oddly enough, I thought that, with a name like John Robinson there was no way I would find this particular crewman, but he is the one who is turning up the most clues at the moment. (It did help that his father had an unusual name.) The worst one is the pilot, who is unfortunately named Douglas Adams like the author. I think I almost gave up on him before I started.

I know my grandfather wrote to the other families after the plane went down. It would be wonderful if some of them still had his condolence letters.