Author Topic: Evenwood  (Read 8087 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Evenwood
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:26 GMT (UK) »
I have your grandparents in my family tree! If I'm correct, Ralph was the son of Ernest and Phoebe (nee Heaviside). Ernest was my grandfather's brother so my grandfather was your grandfather's uncle!

We're related, lovely to 'meet' you  :) :) :)

I have a copy of Ralph's marriage certificate, someone has previously sent it to me but I'm not sure who.  ??? His wife's name is shown as Jane Brand Anderson. Ralph's occupation is shown as Cinematagraphic (?) Operator so that certainly fits in with the cinema.

I have found five sisters and two brothers of Ralph, although I hadn't come across James.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline TheHopester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant.nice to meet you.
 Jeans name is correct. She was always known as Jean though. I think it was because she was Scottish.
I would love to see a copy of their marriage certificate. I was very close to them. My grandad was like my dad as I grew up in a one patent family.
Grandad used to do a shift down the mine before going to the picture house. He was also a bit of a poet. I have several of he's. One about the cinema and a beautiful one about Nancy amongst them.  I could send you some copies if you like. I might also have an old newspaper cutting with a picture of the dance hall when it was due to be demolished. I think that my brother has a little book with grandads bookings for the bands that played and the prices paid.
Jim used to run a mobile fish and chip shop then a fish and chip shop on Manor Road St Helens  Auckland. Jim died many years ago but Mary his wife still lives in West Auckland I believe.

If you want any other information let me know.
I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about your side.

Offline TheHopester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Here is a little one about Nana. Hope you can read it

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely poem, it brought a lump to my throat. It's great to hear about that part of the wider family and I'd love to hear more. Now that you've posted more than three times we can exchange Personal Messages, I'll write to you with my email address so we can get in touch (email addresses are not allowed on the open forum).

I'm attaching the marriage cert for now, will then PM you. It's great to be in touch.  ;D ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 16:43 GMT (UK) »
From Evenwood's Heyday: "The first mention of the Empire Picture Hall occurs in March 1912 and possibly its opening night happened then".

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Ceeoh.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline evexpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Evenwood cinema
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 January 16 15:03 GMT (UK) »
hi roobarb, hopester, 

Offline evexpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Evenwood cinema
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 January 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
roobarb hopester.hi.the empire was fab. granddad and grandma etherington were the owners.i used to go two or three times a week if u got in free would,nt u.there were wood benches infront of the stalls costing a tanna or sixpence in old money.circle seats at back. if the film snapped ,it often did ,we used to stamp our feet till we were kept in check by uncle ralph or jim. I used to go with my dad bill to the projection room. the projectors seamed huge to me. we watched the films being rewound ,I helped my dad shovel coke into the boiler house around the back.most films at that time were black and white ,the three stooges, bowery boys , tarzan and the apes. cowboys in colour were great. my mother hilda was the icecream lady ,free lolly as well fab.with tv the cinema declined ralph and jim diversified ,dances ,out door concerts not to successful.the etherington family were wonderful ,gran grandad ralph jim edna ethel Beatrice my mam hilda I miss them all.hopester roobarb I hope you know you have made me feel sad.wonderful days.evexpat.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 January 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear from you evexpat.  :) :)

I've been working out who you are from what you've said, I think I've got it right and if so it would make us second cousins. It's really good to read what you've written about the cinema, sorry it's made you sad but I'm sure that's a happy sadness if you know what I mean!

Rootschat only allows you to send Personal Messages after you've posted on the forum three times, as you've alreadyposted twice, if you reply to this we can PM each other. Please don't mention any living people on the forum, it's against the forum rules.

Hope to hear from you.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham