Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33851 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« on: Tuesday 09 September 08 19:08 BST (UK) »
Twenty years or so ago a great-aunt wrote that her blacksmithing ancestors at one time ‘ran the smithy in Broken Cross’, which she described as a village just outside Macclesfield. I can’t find anything in the Census returns to confirm what she said, but later I was told by others in the family, living in Wilmslow, that Nether Alderley may also have been called ‘Broken Cross’. This would have been back in the early 1900s.
Is anyone able to confirm, please, that locals called – or maybe still call - Nether Alderley ‘Broken Cross?
Thanks
Birtle  :)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Birtle

Welcome to RootsChat.

I think that Nether Alderley and Broken Cross are actually two separate places about 3 miles apart.

On the 1901 census, Nether Alderley is listed as a separate Enumeration District which begins at RG13/3317 Folio 5 Page 1.

Broken Cross appears on the 1901 Census as a part of West Macclesfield Enumeration District 8 commencing at RG13/3312 Folio 33 Page 20.

Perhaps someone who lives more locally will be able to add to that but in the meantime, I hope that it helps a little bit.

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 10:25 BST (UK) »
go to

http://www.francisfrith.com/search/EnglandCheshire/Broken+Cross/Broken+Cross.htm

for pics and maps!

There's a pub called the Blacksmiths Arms!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Birtle & welcome to RootsChat
I'm just confirming DS's answer - Broken Cross is now on the western edge of Macclesfield - on a road map follow the A537 between Macc & the A34 at Monks' Heath - between Broken Cross & Monks' Heath is Birtles Hall - coincidence or are you linked?
Nether Alderley is between Monks' Heath & Alderley Edge.

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Many thanks for all the warm welcomes to rootschat and helpful advice.
Yes, I'd tracked down Broken Cross to just outside Macclesfield, but I couldn't find any evidence to support what my great-aunt said about our ancestors having  the smithy there. So that left me wondering if there was any mileage in what other members of the family had said, namely, that when they lived in Wilmslow (early 1900s), Nether Alderley was also known by the locals as Broken Cross. I'd love to believe it, if only because that would fit in better with the family history, but I'm just a bit doubtful as to whether it was accurate recall or not, especially as I think I read somewhere that NA was sometimes called Brow Cross...
Cheers,
Birtle

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Birtles - I assume you've already tried the 1901 Census or earlier? If not, I'm sure someone will be able to help with a lookup. Otherwise have you tried the online Historical Directories website? Blacksmiths are likely to be listed in trade directories, so may well show up.
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

If you're not familiar with it, it's worth ploughing through the "How to use" section, particularly the Technical FAQs.

Good hunting!

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Birtle
I have a book with a chapter about Nether Alderly, which includes the Smithy Cottage which occupied the site of the blacksmith.  There is also a photo of the blacksmiths at work undated.

I don't know the name of your ancestors, but there is a tombstone in the churchyard of a village blacksmith John Henshall who died on 25th September 1814 age 77.

The junction of Welsh Row and Congleton Road is known locally as Cross Brow.

Most people refer to it as Broken Cross.

Apparently the cross stood in the centre of the cross roads but was broken by the Cromwellians.  It was moved to the side of the road to protect it from the heavy traffic travelling along the A34.

I will send you a personal message.

Kind regards
Su

Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
Birtle, further to Su's post I am sure you will find the cheshire tithe maps of great interest.  If you are not familiar with them just google Cheshire Tithe Maps and go onto the Cheshire site.
If you enter the name Henshall in the person search you will be able to scroll down the pages which come up, until you reach Nether Alderley, John Henshall.  I won't say anymore it will spoil your fun.  Enjoy this wonderful resource.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 15:40 BST (UK) »
Birtle, here is another find.  If you look at the Frith postcard collection there is a postcard of the Nether Alderley Village Smithy 1896.  It could be one of your ancestors depicted!  You are able to order these online if you are interested. There is also a post from someone in the memories section refering to the Smithy.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness