Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33803 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting - thanks Colin. I'd got as far back as Daniel's father Henry, and had sketched in the Cheadle Hulme connection, but I'd not ventured any further back.
I too am descended from Daniel and Ann but through their son Daniel (m. Elizabeth Millington), who curiously - to my mind, given the number of smiths in the family - was a tailor, apparently. Two of their sons followed Daniel into that trade, another became a shoemaker; only sons James (b.1810 Chelford) and John (b.1820) went back to blacksmithing. James had the Green Lane/Grove St smithy in Wilmslow.
Birtle.

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 October 08 06:25 BST (UK) »
Dear Birtle,

Delighted to hear from you. We are obviously cousins to the nth degree. There is another relative of ours living in Holmes Chapel also descended from Daniel Henshaw (1750 - 1826) through Daniel and Elizabeth Millington.

Please contact me at (*)

Best wishes,

Colin.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline momos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 October 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathb,
There is a couple of short video clips on Youtube of what Broken Cross looks like today:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5WFO_sZHA

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbfsLhbxq4

regards

Offline debbie2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 April 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi 1st post on this site
My Grandparents used to live in Smithy Cottage, Over Alderley, the disused Smithy (which still had the anvil in) was next door. One the other side of my family my aunt lives down the road from where the Broken Cross smithy used to be.
Other bits. Nether Alderley and Broken Cross are 2 totally seperate places. Welsh Row (where my grandmother was born) is in Nether Alderley. Cheadle Hulme ( where I was brought up), had its own Smithy in a place called Smithy Green.
Hope this helps
Debbie

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 April 09 07:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Birtle,

I would like to hear from you, and you can find me here.

http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/vsnet/Mail/vsnet-campaign-be/msg00033.html

Best wishes,

Colin.

Offline hobbo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 March 12 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post but I can remember someone asking about a smithy at broken cross.. just along from broken cross towards chelford is a pub called the Blacksmiths Arms, I had lunch there today an the land lady confirmed that it was originally a smithy.. and the old guy in the gallery opposite would know more (unfortunately the gallery was closed!) I will try to follow up on another visit.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 March 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi hobbo
I got engaged to my first husband in the Blacksmiths Arms, but that's another story  ;D
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 July 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
William Henshaw was one of my 4x Great Grandfathers.I am descended from William Henshaw (1805-1854), through one of his daughters Maria (1845-1884), who married Samuel Pennington (1843-1919).They married on 26.9.1866 in Cheadle. William Henshaw set up "The Stockport Lurry Works" with his brother Thomas Henshaw in around 1836. He was one of ten children from Henry Henshaw (1773-1849) and Hannah. Does anyone have any dates for when Thomas Henshaw and his other brothers and sisters (apart from William and James Henshaw) were born and got married please/children from them? Also William's brother James Henshaw, had a daughter called Eliza who was born in 1865 and died in April 1868 in Stockport. There was apparantely an inquest into the death of an Eliza Henshaw in a paper called "The North Cheshire Herald" dated from May the 2nd 1868. This may well be the same Eliza, but I can't find that article anywhere. I asked "Tameside" a local studies website to try and find it for me, but could not. Does anyone know any more information about this please?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Thank You very much.                                           

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 July 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat!
Henry & Hannah's children (see below) were mostly bp Alderley but some were at Cheadle; their marriages were mainly at Manchester. You should be able to find a lot of the Cheshire records free online on the Cheshire Parish Register Project website, and at least some of the Manchester marriages on www.lan-opc.org.uk :-
Mary bp 1800 mar John Kinch 1824
Daniel bp 1802 mar Ann Brown 1832
Ann bp 1803 never mar?
William bp 1805 mar Elizabeth ? (from Bangor, Wales) bef 1836
Thomas bp 1808 mar Prudence Unwin 1832
Harriet bp 1811 mar Richard Hampson 1834
Elizabeth bp 1813 never mar?
Henry bp 1816 mar Mary Ann Robinson 1842
Emma bp 1817 never mar
James bp 1822 mar Jane Fallows 1844.
Sorry, but it would take too long to go into all their various offspring!
As for James' dtr Eliza, you have me puzzled... In 1861 blacksmith James & wife Jane + their young dtrs Sarah & Eliza are living with James' wid mother Hannah. I have James dying in 1869, but his widow Jane survived him and in 1871 is living in Cheadle Hulme with children Eliza age 24 (she was bp 1847 Cheadle parish), John Henry 17 and Daniel 14. The 1881 census still has dtr Eliza (34) living with her mother Jane and brothers JH and D.
Mother Jane died in 1887. In 1891 Eliza is again living with brothers JH and D + a Sarah Jane H; likewise 1901; likewise 1911 (except no JH). I think Eliza died later that same year.
But that means that I can't square my version of James' dtr Eliza (1847-1911) with yours (1865-1868)! And I'm sorry but I also can't help with the inquest. But anyway, I hope I've helped you a bit along the way.
Birtle
PS you might also like to take a look at this webpage http://www.cheadlehulme.net/village/chhenshaw.html
Anyway, I hope this helps you a bit. Good luck with your searching.