Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33806 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 July 15 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for what you have sent me Birtie. It's nice that you have listed all of the brothers and sisters, and when and who they married.This Eliza Henshaw, must have been from a completely different group of Henshaws than the one I thought of.

Cheers.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 July 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you
William Henshaw was born on the 26th of October at Cheadle Hulme. He married Elizabeth Griffiths, from Bangor, North Wales on the 23rd of December 1835 in Stockport Parish Church.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
In the "Stockport Heritage Library", online in their "Image Archive", there are loads of great old images, of the Carts, Wagons, and Car Bodies, that the Henshaw "Stockport Lurry Works" made. They are all part of "The Henshaw Collection". There's also a few photographs of the works premises. Their builds were, apparently,well known in other countries also.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 August 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/leisureculture/libraries/libraryonline/stockportimagearchive/sia/?accessionno=29810&picResultsNo=3#picInfo
I know this may be an extremely longshot but: Does anyone know who the people in this: "Henshaw Family Photo" may have been please/ have any ideas.
 From pictures I have seen previously, the older man sat down at the front, to me, looks like it could have been James Henshaw (1839-1895). And it would also make sense for him to be sat in the middle of the photo, being the man in charge of the business. I believe James is also standing to the right of picture in two other photos, of carts that were being built in this archives section.
   I have seen a few photos of William Charles Henshaw. The man sat on the left, holding a dog in this photo looks like it may well be him, but I'm not too sure on that one though.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas at all as to who the rest in the picture could have been, it would be really great and interesting to hear. :) ;)

Cheers.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 March 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of Daniel Henshaw (b1750) and married to Ann Ashton. His grandfather was John Henshaw (b c1670, married to Mary Heald), and keeper to the poor. Died c1755. His son, and Daniel’s father was Henry Henshaw. Daniel and his family were blacksmiths. Daniel’s son Henry moved to Chealde Hulme and ran a smithy there. Henry had quite a large family. His son James continued to run a smithy in Cheadle Hulme, while two of his other children, William, and my gg grandfather, Thomas moved to Heaton Norris in Stockport, where they established the Stockport Lurry Company. They manufactured wheels for commercial vehicles.

Debretts research shows that John’s father was Henry Henshaw, son of William Henshaw, married to Ane Wilson about 1634. However an alternative lineage for John is apparently held in the Cheshire Family History Society records. I would like to believe the Debretts lineage is the correct one. If so they may hail back to Henshaws living at Tydnock Farm, near Marton, Cheshire, in the second half of the 16th Century.

There are several extant lineages apart from mine that hail back to Daniel.

Colin Henshaw, Tabuk.
Hello there,
Regarding one of my 8x Great Grandads John Henshaw born in 1670:
The Cheshire Parish Register Project has John being baptised (in Wilmslow/ a parish that was in the Wilmslow district?) on the 13th of March 1670. His Father's name is down as Henry Henshaw. It does not show his Mother's name. Henry's occupation was also: "Keeper", on that record. Would this be the same as keeper to the poor like John became?
Henry's Residence is down as: "Bollin Par" on the baptism record. Is this near Prestbury?
John Henshaw marries Mary Heald in Prestbury, on the 15th of June 1708. But it seems before this, a John Henshaw married a Maria Johnson in Prestbury, on the 20th of September 1690. This may possibly have been the same one, and then Maria may have died before 1708.
Mary Henshaw (nee Heald) was buried on the 4th of April, 1755, in Alderley.
John was buried on the 25th of October 1755, in Alderley.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 31 March 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone (heh, I can hardly keep up with all these so very helpful responses!),
…so there’s mileage in the idea that Nether Alderley – or at least the junction at Welsh Row -is known locally as Broken Cross. That really does give me food for thought. Many thanks.
Even so (ever one to hedge my bets!), I guess there’s still a possibility that the great-aunt was right. Maybe her forebears – from the blacksmithing Henshaw/Henshall family  - did at some point run the smithy at Broken Cross just outside Macclesfield, but they certainly weren’t there at the time of the early censuses (and that’s the period she’d have been harking back to). One possible scenario is that they had the smithy just before 1841 or in between 1841-1851, but were elsewhere at the time of both censuses.
Which brings me to the question, does anyone know when the Broken Cross smithy nr Macclesfield was founded? From what the great-aunt implied, it could have been early in the 19th century, but that’s as far as I can get.
As for the NA smithy, I think the Isaac and Ellen Henshaw in Kathb’s message are the children of Henry Henshall, smith (1786-1818), and the grandchildren of John Henshall, the NA blacksmith (1737-1814) that Su mentions. In turn, John I think was the son of Henry Henshall, yet another NA blacksmith (d.1783). From old Henry’s will (courtesy of the wonderful Cheshire RO), it would seem that he had an ‘old’ and a ‘new’ smithy in NA, both being in ‘Street Lane Ends’, which John and another son Daniel inherited. As the great aunt would have been related – though somewhat distantly – to those Henshalls, you can see why I’m curious about NA perhaps being called Broken Cross.
I hope I’ll be able to return all your kindnesses sometime, but many thanks for reading and responding to my missives in the meantime.
 :)
Birtle
Hello there,

Regarding the Henry Henshall that died in 1783, do you please have a date of death for him?
It seems that this Henry married Mary Sutton in Wilmslow by licence on the 10th of November 1735: His Wife was pregnant. On the 28th of November, 1735, in Wilmslow, they had Sara, and Catherine. Sara was buried on the 30th of July 1736. Then in Wilmslow they had baptised: Amy Henshaw, in 1737, and a Henry Henshaw in 1743.
In the Cheshire Parish Register Database for the baptism of Amy Henshaw, it has the residence down as: "CHOR" (for Chorley). This has me a bit puzzled: There is not a Village near Alderley or Wilmslow called Chorley. Would this be a reference to Chorley Hall near Alderley please/ around there?
Regarding the John Henshall that you mentioned, I can only find a baptism for him dated the 27th of Feb 1740, in Alderley. On "Family Search" the Father's name has been transcribed as: "Harry". But if he is mentioned in Henry's Will, then I suppose they must have had a John.
Then also in Alderley they also had:
Mary - Baptised 13 May 1747.
Daniel - One of my 6x Great Grandad's. He was baptised on the 12th of August 1750.
Sarah - Baptised on the 23 of June 1754.
I estimate that Henry's Wife, Mary Sutton, may have been baptised in Wilmslow, on the 19th of July, 1713. Her Father's name was Daniel.
Had Mary already died by the time that Henry had written his Will please? I have a date of burial for Mary, on the 29th of February 1776, in Alderley.
Are there any other interesting things in Henry's Will?

I do apologise for the many questions, and for me droning on. Once I start on here I sometimes get a bit carried away haha! :D

Any information regarding the above would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline Carra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 01 April 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
In the Cheshire Parish Register Database for the baptism of Amy Henshaw, it has the residence down as: "CHOR" (for Chorley). This has me a bit puzzled: There is not a Village near Alderley or Wilmslow called Chorley. Would this be a reference to Chorley Hall near Alderley please/ around there?
This part of your query caught my eye - I grew up not far from there and I've always thought that Chorley was the original name for Alderley Edge. I think the name change had something to do with the Railway Company. There was certainly a part of the village that was known as Chorley when I was growing up - it wasn't very well defined but certainly encompassed the area around Chorley Hall.
Bann - Poynton, Cheshire
Maguire - Dublin
Barkley - Antrim

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 April 17 01:47 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Henry Henshall that died in 1783, do you please have a date of death for him?
Regarding the John Henshall that you mentioned, I can only find a baptism for him dated the 27th of Feb 1740, in Alderley.
Had Mary [Henry's wife] already died by the time that Henry had written his Will please? I have a date of burial for Mary, on the 29th of February 1776, in Alderley.
Henry was bur in Wilmslow parish 4 April 1782, and is described as 'of Chorley'; I don't have his DOD. Note, a Wilmslow burial is not unknown for residents of Chorley.
As for Chorley, the Wikipedia entry is quite helpful, as is the entry in Genuki - google the terms Chorley Cheshire Genuki (include Cheshire to help differentiate from Chorley in Lancashire). To put it very briefly, the township of Chorley included the area around the Trafford Arms Hotel (now in Alderley Edge). The junction of lanes there was known as Street Lane Ends, and is where one of the smithies mentioned in Henry's will was located.
Henry's eldest son John is an elusive character. I believe him to be the Nether Alderley blacksmith who died in Dec 1814 'age 77' and has a distinctive epitaph on his grave. But there is a problem in that his age recorded at the time of burial points to a birthdate of abt 1736/37 rather than 1740. A John H was bp in 1736, the son of Ralph & Elizabeth of Chorley (Ralph I think being a tailor), but I don't feel comfortable with identifying their son as the blacksmith. On the other hand, the content of Henry's will makes me pretty confident that his oldest son John, whom Henry describes as a 'smith', is the Nether Alderley blacksmith who d 1814.
Henry wrote his will in Sept 1781 so yes, his wife Mary was already dead. I believe she was buried in Wilmslow (as was husband Henry) on 29/2/1776, described as 'of Alderley'.
Henry's will has a lot of information which might be of interest to you, but for reasons of copyright I cannot give further detail here. Paper copies can be ordered from Cheshire Record Office, or they're online on Find My past.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 April 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Regarding the John Henshall that you mentioned, I can only find a baptism for him dated the 27th of Feb 1740, in Alderley.
Had Mary [Henry's wife] already died by the time that Henry had written his Will please? I have a date of burial for Mary, on the 29th of February 1776, in Alderley.
Henry was bur in Wilmslow parish 4 April 1782, and is described as 'of Chorley'; I don't have his DOD. Note, a Wilmslow burial is not unknown for residents of Chorley.
As for Chorley, the Wikipedia entry is quite helpful, as is the entry in Genuki - google the terms Chorley Cheshire Genuki (include Cheshire to help differentiate from Chorley in Lancashire). To put it very briefly, the township of Chorley included the area around the Trafford Arms Hotel (now in Alderley Edge). The junction of lanes there was known as Street Lane Ends, and is where one of the smithies mentioned in Henry's will was located.
Henry's eldest son John is an elusive character. I believe him to be the Nether Alderley blacksmith who died in Dec 1814 'age 77' and has a distinctive epitaph on his grave. But there is a problem in that his age recorded at the time of burial points to a birthdate of abt 1736/37 rather than 1740. A John H was bp in 1736, the son of Ralph & Elizabeth of Chorley (Ralph I think being a tailor), but I don't feel comfortable with identifying their son as the blacksmith. On the other hand, the content of Henry's will makes me pretty confident that his oldest son John, whom Henry describes as a 'smith', is the Nether Alderley blacksmith who d 1814.
Henry wrote his will in Sept 1781 so yes, his wife Mary was already dead. I believe she was buried in Wilmslow (as was husband Henry) on 29/2/1776, described as 'of Alderley'.
Henry's will has a lot of information which might be of interest to you, but for reasons of copyright I cannot give further detail here. Paper copies can be ordered from Cheshire Record Office, or they're online on Find My past.

Thank you again for all of this information.

Cheers.  :) ;)