Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33804 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #81 on: Monday 30 April 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!

The Debretts report did mention something about the Tydnock Farm family have a connection with Newbold Astbury, located near Congleton.

It would be nice to view the Debretts report on the Henshaws. Can it be found on the Internet?

Thanks.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 30 April 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
I just came across this on the internet:
It is from 1678. It mentions a William Henshawe of Lower Withington, aged about 21 years. This is only 6 miles from Gawsworth.
It also mentions his grandfather being a Thomas Henshawe. Some other men mentioned here were from Nether Alderley also:
http://www.earlymodernweb.org.uk/waleslaw/henshawe.htm

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 30 June 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, I confirm from Wikipedia that Dunham Hall belonged to the Booth family at that time. It was constructed in 1616 by Sir George Booth. William probably started work there early in his career.

Yes, the children of the Tydnock family would be from around the 1590s, while William was born around 1605. Interesting that you mention Gawsworth. The Lea Henshaw you mention is almost certainly the Lea Henshaw of Henshaw Hall, at Henshaw in Siddington. He was the son of Thomas Henshaw and Eleanor Browne, of Henshaw Hall, and was born in 1593 and died in 1631. He had a sister called Ursula. His father, Thomas, was described as "A Captaine in Ireland, slaine at Blackwater, 1598." This battle is also known as the Battle of Yellow Ford, during the O'Neill rebellion, occurring on the same date as Thomas's death, August 14th., 1598. I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!

The Debretts report did mention something about the Tydnock Farm family have a connection with Newbold Astbury, located near Congleton.

You have probably seen this already, but there is a family tree of those Henshaws from the book: "1580 Visitation of Cheshire." It is here on image page 136:
https://ukga.org/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?action=ViewRec&DB=13&bookID=187&pagecount=136&submit=Next

One of the people on there was "Randoll Henshaw."

In the search results for "Randle Henshaw", there are two Cheshire Wills and Probate results here. One is dated 1580, and one is dated 1612:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=life+events+%28bmds%29&firstname=randall&firstname_variants=true&lastname=henshaw&lastname_variants=true&keywordsplace=cheshire%2c+england&sourcecountry=great+britain

:) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
Further on the will of Thos H of Tidnock 1633:
He first names three sons individually: Hugh (that's a distinctively recurrent Hensha* name). John, William. Then Margerie his wife. Then, in a list, Roger, Edward, Henerie, Thomas, Mary, E....?, Ann, Joane, Ellen - whom he subsequently describes en bloc as his sonnes and daughters. Interestingly, one of the assessors for the probate inventory is a John Henshaw of Newbold Astbury...
I think I've found Ellen's bp in 1622 and Joan's in Jan 1619/20 Gawsworth. Are the children all  named in order of seniority I wonder? The only Hugh H I have so far found in the Gawsworth PRs round about that time is the son of a Lea H... [Postscript: looks like the older children may date back to the 1590s eg Hugh, Roger, Mary. In which case Margery, see below, can not be his first wife...]
Boyd's marriage indexes records a TH married a Margery Dunbar in 1618 but I haven't yet been able to trace the original licence from which the info was apparently drawn..

Hello Birtle,

I found a baptism for Hugh Henshaw on Find My Past. He was baptised on the 29th of June 1595 in Gawsworth. John was baptised 16th of Jan 1596 in Gawsworth. There was a Roger baptised in 1598. Mary was baptised in 1603. The "E" is Edward. Edward was baptised in 1607.
There was a Thomas baptised 1600 in Gawsworth, son of a Thomas. He may well have died in 1620. The Thomas (son of Thomas) shown in the Will among the list of his sons, was baptised in 1625 in Gawsworth.
In all, this Thomas who wrote his will in 1632 appears to have had 12 children all baptised in Gawsworth between 1595-1625.
If our Thomas married Margery when she was very young (like 15 years old), then she may have been the mother of all of these children. From doing my family tree on "Ancestry" I have found that it was not uncommon for a woman in those times to be having a child well into her mid forties.

A Roger Henshaw was buried in Gawsworth in 1661. It may possibly be the same one who made a Will which is on Find My Past here.
It seems quite hard to read. I think it says somewhere: "late of Chalford."

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS/CHS/4012461/00103&parentid=GBPRS/CHS/748069163

This is his Inventory here. There is mention of an "Edward Henshall" at the top:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fchs%2f4012461%2f00104&parentid=gbprs%2fchs%2f748069163

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, I confirm from Wikipedia that Dunham Hall belonged to the Booth family at that time. It was constructed in 1616 by Sir George Booth. William probably started work there early in his career.

Yes, the children of the Tydnock family would be from around the 1590s, while William was born around 1605. Interesting that you mention Gawsworth. The Lea Henshaw you mention is almost certainly the Lea Henshaw of Henshaw Hall, at Henshaw in Siddington. He was the son of Thomas Henshaw and Eleanor Browne, of Henshaw Hall, and was born in 1593 and died in 1631. He had a sister called Ursula. His father, Thomas, was described as "A Captaine in Ireland, slaine at Blackwater, 1598." This battle is also known as the Battle of Yellow Ford, during the O'Neill rebellion, occurring on the same date as Thomas's death, August 14th., 1598. I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!

Hello Colin,

I have done a bit of looking around and re-reading of the Will of Thomas from 1632.
The children were indeed listed in age order in the will. The sons were named first. Now the only one of the names mentioned "en masse" that I can't seem to fit in is Roger Henshaw. I have found a baptism in Gawsworth for a Roger Henshaw dated 1598. However, if the children of Thomas were named in age order, including this Roger, then process of elimination would dictate that this Roger was born around 1606 in Gawsworth, but I haven't found a baptism for him.
These are the children mentioned in the Will of Thomas in the order they were mentioned, and the years they were born which I found on Find My Past, all born in Gawsworth:

Hugh Henshaw - bap 29 June 1595.
John                - bap 16 Jan 1596.
William (our William?) bap 1605.
Then we have the list of children in this order mentioned in the will:
"sons and daughters of me the said Thomas Henshaw":
Roger - (born abt. 1606? Buried 1661 in Gawsworth?)
Edward - bap 1607.
Henry - bap 26 Apr 1612.
Thomas - Bap 1625.

Then following on in this order his daughters are named:

Mary - bap 1603.
Emma - bap 2 July 1609.
Ann - bap 27 Dec 1614.
Joan - bap 1619.
Ellen - bap 23 June 1622.

If you notice between the baptism of Ann and Joan Henshaw, there is a space of 5 years.
There are spaces of a few years between some of the others also.

In the meantime I have looked at something on "My Heritage".
They have a Thomas Henshall who was born in 1563 to a William Henshall and Margery (nee Gyll).
It may well be talking of the Thomas of the Will above: They have his date of death as 1632, and it also states that he had 12 children, which the Thomas of our Will had.
It states that he married Joan Garlick in 1581. I can't view where because I do not subscribe to "My Heritage". I doubt very much that this Joan was born in Sheffield, as it states here though. I don't know if there are any trees on "Ancestry" that may relate to this. I found it here:

https://www.myheritage.com/names/thomas_henshall

On Find My Past, there is a record for a burial in 1617 for a Joan Henshaw. I don't subscribe to Find My past, so have been unable to click on it to see more information. But it has come up on a search result here:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?o=eventyear&d=asc&lastname=henshaw&lastname_variants=true&keywordsplace=gawsworth&yearofbirth=1614&yearofbirth_offset=5&sourcecategory=life%20events%20(bmds)&collection=parish%20burials&sourcecountry=great%20britain

Now there may POSSIBLY be something in this, because Thomas had a daughter called Joan baptised in 1619 in Gawsworth, and so possibly being named after his dead wife who was buried in 1617. And before this baptism, the last child of Thomas, named Ann, was baptised five years previously in Gawsworth. Then in 1618, a Thomas Henshall married a Margery Dunbar.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 06 July 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been able to confirm a few things from the Library today looking in Find My Past:

Joan Henshaw was buried in Gawsworth on the 30th of April 1617.
In the original register on Find My Past it states in Latin:

"Joa(n) wife of Th Henshaw of Tidnock."

As Birtle previously mentioned, in 1618 a Thomas Henshaw married a Margery Dunbar by Licence. I haven't been able to find out exactly where they were married.

Then Thomas had two daughters: One called Joan, baptised 12 of January 1619 in Gawsworth. And one called Ellen, baptised 23 of June 1622.
Then there was a son Thomas baptised 24 of April 1625.

His wife "Margerie" was mentioned in the will of Thomas in 1632.

A "Margery Henshaw, Widdow" was buried in Gawsworth on the 2nd of June 1650.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 19 November 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
That's wonderful. Debretts were suggestive of this family being the ancestor of William. The children amazingly all seemed to survive childhood, which is remarkable for that time. William, I seem to recall, spent some time on the estate at Dunham Massey, outside Altrincham.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Hello Colin,

I have found something out regarding the Henshaws and Dunham Massey via a will on family Search:

There was a William "Henshall" who was a Miller of Dunham Massey. He made his will in May 1709.
Anyway in this will he mentions his "Kinsman (or possibly Kinsmen)":

"John Henshall of Alderley, Keeper and William Shaw of Dunham Massey gent."
He made those two executors.

The John Henshall mentioned was almost certainly our John, son of Henry (1669-1731).
The William in this will also mentions his three daughters: Hannah, Mary and Margaret:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1FQ-V67?i=141

:) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 29 November 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I would very much like to tie up my lineage with those of Henshaw Hall as the lineage would then go back to about 1365. That would be something!

It would be nice to view the Debretts report on the Henshaws. Can it be found on the Internet?

Thanks.  :) ;)

The will of Thomas Henshaw of Newbold Astbury was dated the 13th of October 1610.
In this will he mentions his sons: Thomas, and Richard(?), and Hugh. May be others but quite hard to read.
Interestingly he also mentions his "kinsman":
"Thomas Henshaw of Gawsworth.":

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGBP-HQ3

:)

Offline rea1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 23 June 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Broken Cross is about a mile and half from Macclesfield Station. Not far from the A537, there is also Birtles Road there, it is possible that's where the smiths you mention was. My dad was born in Mobberley, my ancestors lived Nether Alderley, Siddington, Prestbury. My cousin lives in Knutsford.

Liz.😊
Buckley, cheshire
Barry, Leeds
Dalby, Leeds
Hornby, Garstang Lancs
Cahill,  Lancs