Author Topic: JAROSCHEWSKY  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Desert Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: JAROSCHEWSKY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
Just adding my two penn'erth - for what it's worth.  I have immigrant grandparents, and just going on some stories they have told me, there could be any number of reasons why a young lad of 16 left his homeland and travelled all alone to a new country.

He could have wanted to avoid conscription, many young men left their own country for fear of being drafted into an Army/conflict they didn't believe in.
Or, as you mentioned earlier, persecution for various reasons.
Or it could be that there was little in the way of employment in his own country, with no prospects.  If the family was poor , they would be struggling to feed the extra mouth and would see migration to a new country as a start to a 'better life'...if they were poor they would have saved enough (sold something) to be able to send the strongest/youngest/healthiest family member in the hope he could make something of himself financially.

Hope you find lots of intersting information on your man.
DG
WHITTLESEA, WHITTLESEY, MILLS, ROBERTS, LEADEN, LEETEN of March & Witcham, Cambs and of Somersham, Hunts.
WHITTLESEY/WHITTLESEA, HYATT, GUNNELL, STRINGER, BEVAN, GLENISTER, BUCHHOLZ/BUCKLE, HELLEWELL, TAGG of Marylebone & Paddington, London.
LLOYD, FROST of Holborn & Highgate, London.
ROSKA, ROCKA, ROCHKA, MICKEVICIUS, MICKEVICIUTE  of Lithuania, and later West Lothian & Edinburgh.

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Julian

Have PM'd you the letter plus another item that came through this evening.

Best wishes

Jan
JOHNSTON, STOCKER - Middlesex
DORMODY (and variants)
HERRING - Oxford, Bucks, Warwickshire, Essex
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Arranroots - thank you so much for putting me in touch with "seamike".  He has translated the letters for me and I have attached the translation.

If anyone knows any of the names referred to in these letters - could you please get in touch.

... London? Does it make sense if I compose Russian library for you? You can arrange a library in your appartment and earn good money by this. As for advertising I will arrange it myself. I will publish in all Russian foreigh newspapers. Maybe you have a good friend who is well versed in Russian literature  ... you can work together ..., that library will give good income, of course if it is composed correctly.
So, wish you good health, my dear brother
I hope that you have understood me and will write to me
My kisses to you and your children, yours Isidor
My wife sends her greetings to you. She is at home now, and I write this at (my) shop. In next letter she will write herself

Letter 2

My dear children,  Embrace and kiss you all. Iosif, tell your wife and children that Dad kiss them a lot, here is our kis <<<>>> and ask you to please your's parents, your letter will help them, wish you that your business improves. Iosin'ka, why didn't you write me how is Leva and why he came to London and how long he stayed there. He wrote that he would be in London in his business matters and when his business runs smoothly, he will help you and will arrange your business and will give help to us, and you did not write about this, maybe your head is very busy. I wish that my letter brings my luck to you. I am writing this letter now and feel like I speak to you. I wait and hope that everything will be well when you get rich and can write to me. We live with Dad, of course grew older, Minochka and Zalman and (Sher?) do not forget about us and help us. Greetings from (Male?) Lazar and children, they have 4 child - 1 daughter and 3 sons, very goo children...

...wrote about Leva that he spoke to you, because he promised to me that when he in London, he would make a photo with you and your family and send it to us, seems you had no time for this. Dear Iosif, please write to me know whether Leva have returned home and what is he know ... about Haim Leiba, how is he, because his sisters already mourned over him, said that he is not in this world, if he is alive please write, we will be (happy). Iosif, do you remember some Jewish words, Our (Minochka) and Yul'ka send their greetings, also greetings from Aunt Masha and Aunt Valya and all their children, and from all Kaganoviche's and Leibzon's.
So, wish you good health, my dear, kiss you, your Mom and Dad. Ask your wife to write to me, here is one teacher he will read me her letter, please reply soonest.

Best wishes
Jan
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline seamike

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 September 08 14:16 BST (UK) »
Jan,

The letterhead of Isidor's letter in fact has one more line - BUCHHANDLUNG that means Bookstore.
"Europe" -  is the name of this bookstore that was situated at Marburger strasse 9a corner (Ecke) Augsburger strasse.
Isidor run this bookshop, and also in his letter he suggested his brother Iosif to arrange kind of a library at his home in London.

Does it make sense if I compose Russian library for you? You can arrange a library in your appartment and earn good money by this.

Best wishes
Mike

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 September 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Mike.  I didn't know that Buchhandlung meant bookstore.  All is starting to make more sense now.

Jan
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 September 08 18:04 BST (UK) »
Jan,

Well hasn't Mike done a fabulous job! I have to confess that hadn't even got around to posting the images onto ViewMate. Sorry!

You can now at least piece together a bit more of the family.

I would imagine that the reference to 'Jewish words' meant Yiddish words.

Justin

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 September 08 18:11 BST (UK) »
Mike also translated some of the names for me.  I have also sent the letters to a lady called Elina Smirnova from JewishGen and she recalls some time ago seeing a copy of a letter from a Leo about coming to England for his business matters.  It was about 2-3 years ago, but I do hope she can find the lady who showed it to her.

This is such a fantastic website with so many helpful people on it.

So I say thank you to all of you for helping out and if you come across anything else, please let me know.

Jan
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline Aroytberg

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 June 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Yaroshevsky family from Odessa. My great grandfather David (father's name Iosif) Yaroshevsky was born in 1864 in Odessa and died in 1918. We believe most of his family left Russia by then.