Author Topic: Davis family Tyrone  (Read 2958 times)

Offline dora

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davis family Tyrone
« on: Thursday 11 September 08 01:21 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with some details of Cunningham Davis m. Annie Shiels approx 1876 at Lake Patrick Tyrone. Daughter of James and Peggy (McMinamin?)

Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davis family Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 08 08:10 BST (UK) »
Would they have gone to Australia by any chance? IGI shows 2 children:
1. Ann born 22 Aug.1877 Milltown district, Co.Tyrone
2. Matthew Thomas born 6 Apr.1885 Ipswich, Queensland-4 Feb.1931 (submitted record)

First complete census for Ireland is 1901 so there will be no census records for the family if they did go to Australia by 1885.

The marriage certificate would give you the exact date and place, residences of bride and groom at time of marriage, their fathers' names and occupation. It will not list their mothers' names, their birthplaces or their exact ages.
See here to order Irish certificates:
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

The place is Leckpatrick not Lake Patrick:
www.rootschat.com/links/04ah
In that parish is a townland called Milltown (see birth of daughter Ann above).
However, there is no tenant named Davis listed in Griffith's Valuation:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_place_search_form.php

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 08 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I have no record of a child "Ann" but Matthew Thomas was born six weeks after they arrived in Australia and was my Grandfather.Our records show that there was a son Robert who was born before they left Ireland. There were 3 males and 1 female deceased so that may be where the daughter Ann comes  in to the picture. I am so pleased to have got this far.

Offline Cunnamulla Kid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I have no record of a child "Ann" but Matthew Thomas was born six weeks after they arrived in Australia and was my Grandfather.Our records show that there was a son Robert who was born before they left Ireland. There were 3 males and 1 female deceased so that may be where the daughter Ann comes  in to the picture. I am so pleased to have got this far.
You and I are related. Mathew Thomas was my Great Grandfather. One of his sons was Robert Davis my Grandfather my father is also Robert Davis. There were at least 4 Robert Davis' in the family. Cunningham's father as far as I know is the first.  Cunningham's youngest daughter Violet was just 16 when Cunningham passed away. Violet later went on to have a daughter who died at just 5 months old and is buried with Cunningham in the Methodist B section in the Ipswich General Cemetery. There is no exact burial location for them.  Annie and Mathew moved to Mackay after Cunningham's death and Annie was living in a hostel for women. I know this from Mathew's war records.

Offline dora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
Yes we are closely related - my mother was Merris Langley (18/12/1918 - 29/01/2012). She was the oldest sister of Robert Benjamin. I am trying to find out how Cunningham came to Aust. and what date. Do you have anything on this please.

Offline Cunnamulla Kid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Cunningham came to Brisbane on the Ship Zamora in 1882. He bought with him his wife Annie a 1 year old son a Brother his wife and I think they also had 1 or 2 children with them.  They left from Plymoth. My Dad has all the information all the information I collect I give to him. He is coming to visit me on Thursday and bringing the information with him.  He also has Cunningham's death certificate that says Cunningham died from Bronchitis after suffering with it for 5 years.  Do you Live in Ipswich? We should catch up and share some information.  Dad was just talking about Aunty Meris the other night with fond memories.

Offline Cunnamulla Kid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
I hope they last bit of information in regards to Cunningham was helpful to you. I will have more information on that subject today.