Author Topic: Broughton Astley Parish Records - William MIDDLETON  (Read 7426 times)

Offline sandra.s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Broughton Astley Parish Records - William MIDDLETON
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike
An update
Thanks again for the info you've provided!It's most helpful!
After searching census records, it's looking as though probably John and Martha (Toone) could be William's parents - they stayed in Broughton Astley and all their (probable) children were born there. Sarah and William lived in Ashby Parva, and Joseph and Martha in Whetstone and their children were born in those villages.

It would also appear that the families were non conformists, as I found older child baptisms for some of Sarah and Williams at Ullsthorpe Independent (IGI) (including a William  b.1814 - always possible he could be ours!) but Joseph and Martha had two daughters christened probably when they were older at Whetstone - and Richard at Broughton Astley - so there must have been a change of mind at some stage for them. No christenings found for any of John and Martha's children.

I'm wondering if you know if there was an alternative to mainstream Church at Broughton Astley or close by that John and Martha could have attended?

Also - is there anyone 'out there' who may have connections to any of these Middleton families? I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers
Sandra

Offline suffuller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Sandra

Hello - I came across your link after following a branch of my family tree.

William Middleton had 6 children of which Thomas Middleton (b. March 1856)was one. Thomas married Elizabeth Jemima Ruddock in August 1878, Nottingham. Elizabeth J Ruddock was the daughter of Elizabeth Fuller (b. 1813, Southwark, Surrey) and the sister of William John Fuller (my direct ancestor). I have some information about the Ruddock's and a little info about the Middleton's but generally following the Fuller line.

Hope this is of some interest and let me know if I can help with more details.

Happy new year,

Kind regards, Neil   

Offline sandra.s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neil

Many thanks for your contact!! I'm a great grand daughter of Elizabeth Jemima and Tom Middleton. So I can provide you with info on their family if you'd like, a few photos also.
Yes please I'd love to know more about the Fuller link.
And we could do a share and compare on the Ruddocks and Middletons!
My home email is E-Mail removed to prevent Spamming - Please use the Private Message facility - Global Moderator
I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Sandra

Offline LeicesterJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 April 09 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra

I am also a descendant of William Middleton - via his son John b 1846.

I have spent more hours than I care to think about trying to track down William's birth in the Leicester Record office - but everything seemed to be a dead end.  I am so glad to be able to piggy back onto someone else's work!

I'd also come to the conclusion that William was born into a non-conformist household.  A Particular Baptist Chapel was erected in Broughton in 1755 and seems to have had a sizeable congregation in the 1850s - though I couldn't find any specific mention of any Middletons when I looked generally.

I've also become stuck with the Roberts family - I've got a baptism of an Anne Roberts in Peckleton in 1816 to a Matthew and Mary (nee White).  Since this is a multiple baptism of 3 children, the fact that 'our' Ann would be about 5 at this time didn't worry me.  Unfortunately Matthew only marries Mary in 1813, and there's an earlier baptism of a girl, Maria, in 1814.  Have you got anywhere with the Roberts?

Jane

Offline sandra.s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 April 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello "Cousin' Jane

So wonderful to hear from you! Some of our New Zealand lot visited/stayed with descendants of John after WW1 according to family oral history.
I've pondered the Middleton 'mystery' and researched the possible 3 sets of parents and their families for William. I've (very) tentatively come to the conclusion that they were John Middleton and Martha Toone.
I've also come to the same conclusions as you about the Roberts family.

Cheers
Sandra

Offline LeicesterJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 April 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Sandra

I'd love to hear the tales of staying with John's family - and also some blanks concerning Tom, as I'd not realised he'd emigrated to New Zealand, the census records just came to a full stop.  I don't know if it would be easier to PM me - I'm happy to pas on my private email once we get there.

NB Frankly, I wish I had come to some conclusions about the Roberts - all I've got at present are unanswered questions!!

Jane

Offline sandra.s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 April 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Guess you could say I came to the Roberts conclusions for lack of other possibilities!!

I've sent you a 'personal message' with my home email.

Cheers
Sandra