Author Topic: 1851/1861 lookup please  (Read 2406 times)

Offline SueW

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861 lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 November 05 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bryant

Harry's mother was Harriet Elizabeth Roe and was christened in Lowestoft on 31/12/1819.  She never married.

I have found her on the 1841 census living with her family.  And found the family and various of her siblings in 1851.  But no sign of Harry in 1851.  I found him living with his aunt in Shropshire in 1861 and then married in Liverpool in 1871.

Just one of these family challanges that I keep digging at and I hoping that I get some proof about my theory about his father.

Regards

Sue
Gatward - Essex/Cambs/Herts/Hunts
Trafford - Lancashire
Benson - Lancashire
Roe - Suffolk/Lancashire
Geyer - Germany/Lancashire

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861 lookup please
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 November 05 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Sue

Have you thought about looking for a HENRY ROE in 1851 instead of Harry, it would have been rare for someone in the middle of the 19th century to be christianed Harry..........they might have been called Harry throughout their life but christianed Harry?.......real name Henry.......my father was one!
And even if he was christianed Harry? the enumerator when transposing might have automatically changed it to Henry (as all Harry's were Henry's).....if you get my drift.

Back Street, Lowerstoft, Suffolk
Michael Roe  55 farmer
Rebecca  "     60
Emily       "     20  IND    (now whats that all about?)
Harriett   "     15

Hope you find him
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk