Author Topic: 1861 Census - Shaw born Heanor  (Read 9042 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1861 Census - Shaw born Heanor
« on: Friday 12 September 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello
Can I please request a lookup for John Shaw born 1800-1805 at Heanor in Derbyshire.
Many thanks, Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census - Shaw born Heanor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 September 08 15:50 BST (UK) »
Living at Selston Notts age 58 (cottager), with wife Harriet age 48 and son John age 9.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 08 16:06 BST (UK) »
but .... was he the Frame Work Knitter with wife Ann in Nottingham 1851 ?

???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 08 02:02 BST (UK) »
Yes the husband of Ann is one I'm looking for but I thought I found her in Derbyshire without him in 1851 so can I please have the one for Nottingham in 1851.
Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 08 07:35 BST (UK) »
hi again, I've probably confused people with my previous reply as the message that there was a John with Ann in Nottingham threw me.  I searched for that John (direct ancestor) for ages after finding the one I think is his wife at Greenwich Derbyshire with a daughter Frances. Maybe she was recorded twice if he was asked for his wife's details by the enumerator.  I do have that John and Ann together in Lenton in 1861 where he says he was born West Hallam and age 64.  I still want to find him in 1851 but the post was originally to look for another John, a cousin a few years younger who was christened at Heanor but possibly also born West Hallam. I've discovered a lot of people from Heanor were married at West Hallam and a lot from West Hallam were christened at Heanor so both parishes probably run by same minister. If the one age 58 at Seltson was born Heanor, or West Hallam he is probably the other one I'm looking for.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 08 10:22 BST (UK) »
I know this isn't answering your post but I am intrigued by your statement re baptisms/marriages, asI would think it is very unusual for someone in West Hallam to be baptised in heanor ?? They would not be run by the same minister.
I can't find any Shaw's from West Hallam who were baptised in heanor in early-mid 1800's.

There were Shaws in mapperley - which comes under the heanor census district- but they could possibly be baptised at West hallam. Mapperley and West hallam would possibly have the same minister - they do present day.
What period of time are you looking at for the baptism/marriages???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 September 08 13:18 BST (UK) »
I've been given information that my ancestor John Shaw was baptized at Heanor 10 Nov 1799. I'm still trying to find evidence as I don't have source or access to original record to determine if this is indeed the same John Shaw. In 1841 he was with wife Ann and children at Heanor age approx 40 and in 1861 he was with wife Ann and daughter Frances at Lenton, Nottinghamshire and the census record states born West Hallam.  In a site re Heanor District Local History at http://www.chatarea.com/HeanorDistrictLocalHistory.m4187298
I found the references that the vicar of Heanor resided at the Rectory in West Hallam and that quite a few Heanor people were married at West Hallam during the 1700s. It is possible that his family moved to Heanor from West Hallam between his birth and baptism and I've only been given the parents and christening in the last week so haven't researched enough to find out whether siblings were born West Hallam or Heanor.
Carmel in Australia

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 September 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
Apologies - I was working from early 1800's onwards!!!

Just querying in case I'd missed something - the link you gave is a site I do some research for!!!!
I'll press on looking for your John Shaw and Ann.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 September 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz
I have just found a piece of information that may disprove the christening anyway.  The record states parents Henry and Hannah but there is also a christening of a John to Henry and Hannah Street in 1819 which would seem to indicate that John christened 1799 would have died if this is the same Henry and Hannah and the one born c 1819 is definitely not mine. It's nearly midnight here and I'm in final stages of planning daughter's garden wedding this week so better get some sleep.
Thanks for your help, Carmel