Author Topic: BARRIE William Watson 1861 look up  (Read 10922 times)

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
BARRIE William Watson 1861 look up
« on: Saturday 13 September 08 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hello List,

I am helping someone find their Scottish ancestors and have found the birth of William Watson BARRIE b late 1859 in Arbroath.

His parents were James BARRIE b 1807, a mariner, and Elizabeth KEIL b 1816.

William had lots of siblings born from 1836 but I think I only found 2 in 1841- if I have the right family..Elizabeth 25, Betsy and a Jean ( although Jean might be Helen Christie BARRIE b late 1850 ). There seems to be relationships with the CLARK, TULLIS and CHRISTIE families

I would love to find William in 1861 to see who else is around, and then maybe work back from that. William later emigrated to Queensland Australia.

many thanks for any help

Kiwi007

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BARRIE William Watson 1861 look up
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 08 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
These would appear to be the 9 children born to your couple - all from the IGI - re-arranged in birth order

1.  BETSY CLARK BARRY  Birth: 07 NOV, 1836  Ch: 14 NOV 1836 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
2.  JANE KEIR BARRY - Birth:  01 Nov 1840,  Ch: 11 NOV 1840 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
3.  MARGARET KEEL BARRIE Birth: 05 MAR, 1842 ch. 09 Mar 1842 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
4.  JAMES BARRIE   Birth: 14 NOV 1844,  Ch: 19 NOV 1844 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland 
5.  ANN TULLIS BARRIE Birth: 25 OCT 1847,  Ch: 10 NOV 1847 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
6.  HELEN CHRISTIE BARRIE   Birth: 04 NOV 1850,  Ch: 27 NOV 1850 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
7.  DAVID SMITH BARRIE Male Birth: 17 MAR 1854, Ch: 30 MAR 1854 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
8.  JOHN LOUSON BARRIE Birth: 09 JUN 1856 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland
9.  WILLIAM WATSON BARRIE  Birth: 31 DEC 1859 Arbroath, Angus, Scotland

Regards,   Steve  :O)

To get further back on the Barrie line - you would have to go to the ppv site.www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  free to register.  £6 buys 30 credits. 

6 credits will get you James Barries death entry.  Which should give you both parents names - assuming the informant knew them.  there is only one James Barrie dying between 1859 and 2006 who was born in 1807.

There is also only one Elizabeth Barrie dying born 1816 - after 1859.  Does not show is you enter Keil or variants in the 'other surname box.  Another 6 credits.

FYI - You probably have it, but  there are 'extracted' marriage records on the IGI for James and Elizabeth in Novemebr 1834.  Looks as though it was recorded in 2 parishes - the grooms and brides?

Also found the same record for Elizabeth, Betsy and Jean.  As James wasn't around - at sea?    

At the same time in Arbroath there was another family headed by a James Barrie in Arbroath - but his wife was an Ann Doig.

Lastly, for a coupe of the children the mothers sunrname seems to have been spent Kell - probably a transcription error from the IGI - or just how someone heard it.

Hopefully, if someone coming up trumps with some census records - it'll make a big difference...  :O)

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for all that info -I think Heather has James' death as 1885 but she has other info a bit muddled. I have managed to find her some Queensland clues as well which should help put her in the right direction!

I presume James was at sea  in 1841 - it looks like Elizabeth was living with some cousins - the CHRISTIES - husband probably a mariner as well

I will suggest she joins Scotlands people as that is the only sensible thing for her to do. I thought some people had Ancstry.com who could have looked them up in 1851 and 1861 - I think I spotted the correct William in 1861 but I don't have a subscription

Many thanks again for your help

Kiwi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 08 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi

This looks like the family in 1851 - everyone showing as born in Arbroath:

James Barrie 40, seaman
Elizabeth Barrie 36
Betsy Barrie 14
Jane Barrie 10
Margrat Barrie 8
James Barrie 6
Ann Barrie 3
Helen Barrie 5 Months

Address: Ann Street , Arbroath

And the family (surname mis transcribed on the index) in 1861:

Elizabeth Bauie 46, ship owner's wife, b. St Vigeans, Forfarshire
Margaret Bauie 18
James Bauie 16
Jane Bauie 13
Helen Bauie 10
David Bauie 7
John Bauie 5
William Bauie 1

Address: 33 Ann Street , Arbroath

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 08 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Found the Barrie family in 1851 and James in 1861 - on a ship as Steve suggested - but can't see any of others in 1861 - perhaps someone else will be able to find them for you?.

at Ann Street, Arbroath
(All born in Arbroath)

James Barrie 40 b.1811 Seaman
Elizabeth Wife 36 b.1815
Betsy Dau 14 b.1837 Scholar
Jane Dau 10 b. 1841       " "
Margrat [sic] Dau b.1843 "  "
James Son 6 b. 1845      "   "
Ann Dau 3 b.1848 [Scholar as well!]
Helen Dau 5 months b.1851
(No Christies, Tullis or Clarks on the page of people living nearby)

James Barrie 50 b.1811 Arbroath  Master Seaman
Vessels:
Reg. district: Falkirk Landward
County: Stirlingshire
ED [sorry, don't know what ED stands for]; " Industrious"

Others on the vessel (lots are under "NK" name unknown) - have ED's given as "Sophia" - could be the last vessel sailed in???
Oh, some NK's are from Prussia and one's occupation is  "Harpoon"

breaky

Offline Kiwi007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 08 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica & Breaky.!

I am thrilled to bits to find so many of the family in censuses - I thought lots of them must have died young.

I think Betsy married James Smith FORREST n 1863 - cannot find any children on IGI though.

Margaret may have married Fank LEGGEAT in 1862 - had a son 2 months later...but I cannot find any more marriages - perhaps if anyone is still in the mood,an 1871 census search may clarify some of thes mysteries!!

In any event, I am most grateful for the help you have all given.

Cheers
Kiwi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 September 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Kiwi

Can't see Betsy and James Forrest or Margaret and Frank Leggeat in 1871  :-\ When did William leave for Australia? Could other family members also have traveled with him I wonder?

Added: Just checked deaths on SP. There is a possible death for Margaret Barrie/Leggeat in Angus in 1869.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hjbarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 September 08 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi

Pardon me for sticking my big nose in, but I am an descendant of William Watson Barrie, he was my grt grandfather. I have quite a bit of information now on his family and the family he left behind in Arbroath, Scotland. My name is also Heather and I find it extremely interesting there are other relations out there researching the family tree. If you are interested I have info regarding James Barries' master mariner records. The work I have done so far, is by no means completed, most of it I have gleaned from Scotlands People website and from other distant relatives and researchers. I still have a lot of work to do at the Queensland State Library and State Archives, but only when I can get the spare time!

regards

Heather   :)
ps. i did send a post to rootsweb/mariners on the 12th of this month. Are you part of this?

Offline hjbarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 September 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

i also have Jane Keir Barrie marrying Alexander Esplin in 1865. (canvas tapper?) Jane was a canvas powerloom weaver. Cant find any other detail as yet for the other siblings. William Watson Barrie did marry Mary Ann Elizabeth Wright in 1885 in Townsville. They had 8 Children,their first William Jnr born in 88 and died in 89. My grandfather john alfred born in 1890 and died around 1964/65. David born in 1892, James Forrest in 1894 and died in 99. another william born in 97, Mary born in 1902 and Philip Watsford Barrie born in 1904 and died in 1934.

if you have any other info i would be interested in hearing.

There are conflicting stories about the age of Williams mother, Elizabeth Keil, I have been told 1804 and 1815 and 1816 as her dob. I also cannot find her death certificate. I know she died somewhere between 1865-1867 as James remarried as widower to Mary Brown in 1867. After James's death in 1885 she ran the house as a boarding house. And thats all i have at this stage. but some comfirmation of her DOB and death details would be fabulous.  Tried the scotlandspeople web site and spent many a pound looking up the wrong records due to the variations of spelling her maiden name Keil and surname, Barrie.

cheers

Heather