Author Topic: Pollard family from Dublin City  (Read 23872 times)

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Pollard family from Dublin City
« on: Saturday 13 September 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
Looking for any further information on a couple of my Grandfather's siblings:

Thomas Francis Pollard b. 1882,  108 Upr  Dorset St, Dublin, Ireland (Birth Cert)
Francis Pollard b. 1890, 12 Henrietta St, Dublin, Ireland (Birth Cert)
or Francis Pollard b. 1898?

My granddad, James Pollard, his siblings and  parents, Joseph and Margaret Pollard are on the 1911 Dublin census living at Lower Dominick St.
Joseph and Margaret had 13 children born living but only 9  alive in 1911.

Thomas is recorded as being  aged 28 single.   Occupation: Proof Reader.

Francis  is recorded as being aged 13? making his birth year c.1898 which does not tie up with his birth certificate. 

It's possible that Francis Pollard born 1890 was one of the deceased children.

I know of 8 children that did survive, marry and spread there wings to USA and England.  But what happened to Thomas and Francis Pollard?

Any help in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated. :(
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
DAVIS...Bristol & Somerset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline wizard1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pollard family from Dublin City
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 08 01:21 BST (UK) »
From the 1911 census, there were 13 children born to the marraige and 9 still living in 1911.

Could that account for the ones you are trying to find?

Peter

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 September 08 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Yes I have considered that fact.

But I do  know what happened to 7 of the children (including my grandfather) and Thomas and Francis are alive in 1911 so I'm assuming they are the other 2 of the 9 surviving children as stated on the 1911 census.

All of my second cousins I'm in contact with, have no knowledge of what happened to Thomas and Francis Pollard, so if anybody out there somewhere has any infomation on these 2 brothers it would help solve a mystery for us!

Regards.....Teresa
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline wizard1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 September 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this helps but I noticed that Pollard is mistranscribed as Polland on the index sheet.

I searched for Polland and found an Annie Pollard, age 38 living in Oriel Street with parents, the Cahills.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock_Ward/Oriel_St__Lower/12556/

Although listed as married (not widow) there is no sign of her Pollard husband. Could he have been in the army or navy or otherwise away from home?

You might want to request a correction on the index.

Also, I notice that of the 9 children born alive there are only 6 listed in the household, have you found the 3 who are not listed in 1911?

Peter.

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 September 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Yes I have the other 3.

Mary Pollard is married to Peter Larrigan and her brother Joseph is living with them at 10 Whitworth Terrace, Drumcondra, Dublin on the 1911 Census.

Alice Pollard the other one who is missing,  is in the USA..she went in 1905.
My Mum used to write to her when I was a child back in the late 50's and I'm in contact with her grandchildren. 
After Alice died Mum used to write to one of her cousins...his children are the ones I'm in contact with now.  So good that our 2 branches of the family has been in contact for all this time!

I've also seen the other family you mentioned with the mistranscribed Pollards.
Mum's name was Kathleen Pollard too so there could well be a connection here.

I might just send off for the marriage certificate of Mrs Annie Pollard nee Cahill to see what that reveals and I will post a message on the Dublin.ie Forums website too.  You never know, I might get some info from there.

Regards...Teresa
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline wizard1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 September 08 17:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry I wasn't able to help, I am quite new to this.

I guess its possible that Francis b.1890 died at less than 8 yrs old and his brother b.1898 was named after him. I have come across that quite a bit in earlier times when infant mortality was running at such a high rate.

Like you, I grew up in Dublin in the mid-late 1950's - its a very different place now!

Peter

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 September 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

My other set of Irish Gt Grandparents Michael & Bridget Brady living in Leeson St in 1911 had 18 children but only 8 alive back then.  Then 2 sons died in 1915/17! 
I can't imagine how they must have felt... to lose so many children.

I didn't grow up in Dublin and I've never visited Dublin either....... one day maybe, before I get much older! 

Mum, her parents and siblings came over to England in 1928 due to Grandpops being unemployed.  Some of her Brady aunts settled in England too..eventually.

I suppose Dublin is like a lot of Cities in England now..all having money spent in re inventing the places.  Some for the better..others are quite souless places. 
They certainly built some awful buildings back in the 60's in England which are now being replaced.  I wonder how long they will last?

Regards...Teresa
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline wizard1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 September 08 20:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, they were tough times back then. With Slum Landlords, General Strike, Lockout, 1916, War of Independence and the Civil War 1910 to 1922 was not a good time to be in Dublin.

I presume you have read James Plunkett's 'Strumpet City'. If not, I would recommend it as a good place to start in getting a good understanding of the social and economic background to Dublin life at that time.

Peter.

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 September 08 22:29 BST (UK) »
I remember Mum telling me that often they only had bread and jam to eat when she was a child and their living conditions were awful..no wonder they left.

I haven't heard of the book Strumpet City.  I shall have to remember that and see if I can get hold of a copy.

Teresa
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset