Author Topic: Pollard family from Dublin City  (Read 23874 times)

Offline Private 1st class

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pollard family from Dublin City
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, In Jacobs Easter week two girls name Pollard were there . Are they related. Sara Kealy, kathleen Lane were the other. There was one other, Can not think of her name.

Offline pstinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 March 10 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello from a Larrigan descendant in the US! We've been searching for our link to Ireland for a long time, because our ancestor James Larrigan left Ireland as a young man and went to Scotland to work as an ironstone miner. We have since learned that he was b. 1834 Co. Wicklow. He married a Scotswoman near Glasgow. Among their Larrigan children, one of their sons Thomas Larrigan (b. 1865) emigrated to the U.S. He died in a coal mining explosion in Colorado in 1896, leaving a wife and three children, one of whom was my grandfather, Thomas Larrigan. We have extensive info on the US Larrigans, but are still working to find the link between the Dublin Larrigans and our James who was born in Wicklow. Damien, I've met your father and he has shared some written info. I'd love to talk more with you.
Meanwhile, I have the following info, if it's helpful for the Pollard/Larrigan searchers:
1911 Census: 10 Whitworth Terrace, Dublin City:
Peter Larrigan, Head, Roman Catholic, 26, Printer Compositor, married 3 years, b. Dublin City
Mary Larrigan, wife, Roman Catholic, 26, b. Dublin City
Joseph Pollard (brother-in-law), Roman Catholic, 24, Plasterer, single, b. Dublin City

More in my next post.

Offline pstinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 March 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
More from 1911 Census:
Residents of house number 6.4 in Henrietta St. (Inns Quay, Dublin)--all are Roman Catholic, all literate, all b. Dublin City:
Peter Larrigan, Head, 58, Porter-Hotel, married 16 years
Mary Larrigan, wife, 50, 3 live births, 1 living,
Joseph Larrigan, son, 28, Fitter, out of employment, single
William Larrigan, son, 15, Scholar, single
Margaret Corner, sister-in-law, 53, Tailoress, single
Charles Hayden, stepson, 26, Painter, single
Margaret Hayden, stepdaughter, 25, single
Thomas Larrigan, son, 20, Chauffeur, single
Residents of house number 43.4 in Mountjoy Square, Dublin:
Patrick Larrigan, Head, Roman Catholic, 26, Cabinet maker, married 4 years, b. Dublin City
Mary Larrigan, Wife, Roman Catholic, 27, b. Dublin City

Offline DublinMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 March 10 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello pstinson:

I'm the daughter of a Larrigan (Frances) who was Thomas' daughter - the Henrietta Street chauffeur.  I've been in Canada (Ottawa) for 20+ years.

You should be aware that my mother's brother (Leo) married a Pollard (Bernadette) from Donnybrook - that would have been in the mid-late 1950s.  I don't know if my Auntie Bernie is one of the Pollards in this stream.... 

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 March 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
Looking for any further information on a couple of my Grandfather's siblings:

Thomas Francis Pollard b. 1882,  108 Upr  Dorset St, Dublin, Ireland (Birth Cert)
Francis Pollard b. 1890, 12 Henrietta St, Dublin, Ireland (Birth Cert)
or Francis Pollard b. 1898?

My granddad, James Pollard, his siblings and  parents, Joseph and Margaret Pollard are on the 1911 Dublin census living at Lower Dominick St.
Joseph and Margaret had 13 children born living but only 9  alive in 1911.

Thomas is recorded as being  aged 28 single.   Occupation: Proof Reader.

Francis  is recorded as being aged 13? making his birth year c.1898 which does not tie up with his birth certificate. 

It's possible that Francis Pollard born 1890 was one of the deceased children.

I know of 8 children that did survive, marry and spread there wings to USA and England.  But what happened to Thomas and Francis Pollard?

Any help in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated. :(

I now know that Francis Pollard born 1890 died 23 Aug 1890 aged 5 weeks.  Address 12 Henrietta St, Dublin.

However, there was another son named Francis Dominic Pollard.  Born 2nd Feb 1898 at 27 Royal Canal, Dublin.
So it was him on the 1911 Dublin City census: at home with his parents at Lower Dominick St., aged 13!

I've also recieved the marriage certificate of Margaret Pollard who married Michael Joseph McNulty in 1923.  Michael was aged 30, a Hardware Merchant.  Margaret was aged 20. Address for both Bride & Groom: 69 Eccles St. Dublin.

On the 1939 electoral roll, Michael J & Margaret McNulty are recorded as living at No. 13 Sarsfield Street, Dublin. 

Dublin Mary.....If you can find out  Bernadette Pollard's father's name I will check my Pollard family file and see if there is a family connection.

Teresa
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
DAVIS...Bristol & Somerset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline DublinMary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 March 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Teresa,
I just emailed my cousin in Dublin asking for her grandfather's name and sending her your latest paragraph so she can put it into context.  The Pollards in my family are from Pembroke Cottages, Donnybrook so am not sure they are related but sure is worth looking into.

I'm still trying to find out more on the Larrigans (my mother's family). 

Offline tmp48

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 March 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dublin Mary

One of my grandfather, James Pollard's sisters, Mary Pollard, married Peter Larrigan......on the 1911 Census: 10 Whitworth Terrace, Dublin City:
Peter Larrigan, Head, Roman Catholic, 26, Printer Compositor, married 3 years, b. Dublin City
Mary Larrigan, wife, Roman Catholic, 26, b. Dublin City
Joseph Pollard (brother-in-law), Roman Catholic, 24, Plasterer, single, b. Dublin City.

I am in contact with a few of my second cousins and have plenty of Living Pollard names, so you never know there might be another connection.

I will contact you via your username and give you my email.

Regards...Teresa
BRADY...Dublin
CONBOY...Roscommon
CURRY....Dublin
DEVINE...Dublin
McDermott...Dublin
ROONEY...Dublin
POLLARD...Dublin
QUIGLEY...Dublin
LAWLESS...Dublin
SLADE...Dorset
DAVIS...Bristol & Somerset
PERRIS...Somerset
BOARD...Somerset

Offline dlarrigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pollard family larrigan family
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 June 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
:)My grandfather is William Larrigan born 1896 8 Henrietta st lived in cabra dublin after marriage my grate granddad was Peter Larrigan born 1855 in kildare who lived in 8 Henrietta street Dublin after he married he was head family there.

Peter first married in celbrige kildare to a kildare woman and they married in Maynooth church kildare.
Peters dad my g g grandad was Joseph Larrigan born about 1830 from Athy town kildare. I have accounted for most of the larrigans alive today all relating back to my peter of Celbrige Kildare that moved to Dublin.  There is a large West Meath Larrigans that has not been connected to the Kildare and Dublin Larrigans. 

I noticed from your posts a Kathleen Larigan not Larrigan connected to the pollard and hughes families. You said she from Meath and i know there was only 4 meath or west meath larrigan families in 1901  and her father was Hugh Larigan and she married John Hughes kildare It is the connection of any larrigan family in meath making conections by marriage to huges pollards as family friends that important to me because as i said the Dublin larrigans from kildare also married the same kildare Pollards family in Dublin two times in the way as that knew them all there lives living by them. So if the Dublin larrigans were best known by the pollard families and hughes family and the same is with the meath larrigans there must of been some well knowing connection of the meath and kildare and Dublin larrigans to eachother. So little(big) things like that help to trace connections when connections are lost.elsewhere.

So what is this to do with Pollards Well there is a Christopher Larrigan married Ann Moran of church street Dublin who had a son there Patrick Larrigan 1865  who had a son called peter larrigan who married a Mary pollard Dublin. although I cant relate that larrigan family to my peter Larrigan of Henrietta st because he said his dad was patrick not peter but he is recorded living with my grandad Peteroriginally from kildare and his dad Joseph of Athy Kildare the Peter larrigan when he married Mary pollard and is very connected to the 8 Henrietta st as he recorded staying there at his marriage. 

Then there are  pollard family living in 12 Henrietta st that is true they came from kildare about the same time peter larrigan came from kildare and both families ended up living almost next door to eachother in dublin. As well more down the Larrigan family tree there is another larrigan marrying another pollard about 1950. There is a big relationship between the pollard family and the Larrigan family way back then. They seem to be in  Kildare where my larrigans come from then the pollards move to Henrietta st Dublin where all the killdeer Larina's and moved to Dublin and then you have connections of a 12 Henrietta st pollards mixing with the 8 Henrietta st Larina's and a marrage of one peter Larina not of the 8 Henrietta family but related to them well because he recorded living there on his marriage cert to Mary pollard  in 12 Henrietta st Pollard family. This Mary pollard had moved out of 12 Henrietta st to 33 mountjoy square but her mother and father was still in 12 Henrietta st. I believe way back before 1880 it was custom that family's of one name became close relations of another family through a lifetime or even a few generations. Even marrying a few times over the years

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 June 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
I've removed some recent family details from your post (see Posting Guidelines in Help pages) and broken your message into paragraphs as it's very hard to read so much information when it's not broken up into smaller segments.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!