Author Topic: Albert Reader/Policeman and soldier  (Read 4174 times)

Offline gmcdon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Reader/Policeman and soldier
« on: Saturday 13 September 08 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to get more info on Albert Reader who was born in Ross-shire in 1893 and was reputed to be a policeman and soldier in the 4 Seaforth Highlanders in the "Moray Libindx". I would appreciate any information on his militry service and/or police service in the Moray area. There is also a family rumour he moved down to Glasgow whilest in the police. There is a chance that this man was my Fathers, Father. My Father (also Albert)was born in 1930 in Aberlour. His mother was Jamesina Kinnaird who put him up for adoption 1931. The only information I have is that my fathers. father was in the police force and was married at the time and moved to Glasgow (or possibly some other force) due to a scandle and him being a policeman. Albert Reader died in 1976 in Forres and his wife Ada Freak died in 1966. Both are intered in Rafford cemetry but Ada I think did not die in Scotland?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Reader/Policeman and soldier
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 September 08 00:19 BST (UK) »
There are is a reference to him in the WW1 Medal Roll Index:

Albert Reader, Regiment - Seaforth Highlanders, Regimental No.204273

Also, from the Libindx data, there appears to be further biographical details in "The Morayshire Roll of Honour ... 1914-1918" - L 940.467" dated 1921.

His marriage to Ada Freak look to have been in England:

4th Qrt 1919 - Ada E Freak and Albert Reader, Reading Vol 2c, page 1057

As you say, there does not appear to be a death for Ada in Scotland.

Hopefully, someone will be able to point you in the direction of police records for the area.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline runmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 08 19:53 BST (UK) »
Morayshire Roll of Honour 1914-18

READER Albert.   No.204273  Lce./Cpl., 4th Btn., Seaforths; Born at Brahan, Urray, Rosshire, 11th Dec., 1893, residing at Altyre, Forres  since infancy ; joined at Elgin, 10th Oct., 1915 ; served in France ; gassed and wounded. Son of William and Agnes Reader, Altyre. Occupation, police constable.

He also has a brother Edward born at Brahan on the 13th Oct. 1896 joined the Seaforths on the same day and served in France and was a carpenter.

I have my grandfathers copy of the Morayshire Roll of Honour that he used as secretary of the New Elgin war memorial committee.

Regards
Jen

Offline gmcdon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 September 08 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info . I really appreciate it. There is a chance that Albert Reader is my Grandfather and I will be trying to get information on his police service record. If he relocated on or around 1930 out of Morayshire I am 99.9% sure that it would be him. What do you advise to be the best methods of researching this? Thanks    Gordon

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 September 08 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have no recollection of the surname Reader in any of my research of the police in the Highlands and Islands. The chances are, given his residence in Forres area, that he might well have been in the Morayshire/Moray & Nairn Constabulary.

Morayshire lies within the area of the Grampian Police force, and your best bet would be to contact that force at:

Grampian Police, Force Headquarters
Queen Street. Aberdeen, AB10 1ZA

I have no idea whether they would have records for Morayshire. 

If he moved to Glasgow, then the Glasgow Police Historical Society may be able to assist. Please read : http://gphs1800.tripod.com/LINKS.html

Hope this helps

Dave
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline Alicatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
Realise this is an old post and hope you have managed to find the information you require.  Albert Reader was my grandmother Elizabeth Reader's brother. 
MUNRO - Ross & Cromarty >Nairnshire (Ardclach) >Morayshire (Edinkillie)
McKENZIE - Ross & Cromarty (Contin) > Morayshire (Forres & Dyke)
READER - Ross & Cromarty (Urray) > Morayshire (Rafford)
RUSSELL - Morayshire (Kinloss & Edinkillie)
WALKER - Morayshire (Rafford)