Author Topic: which Charles Black ? COMPLETE  (Read 9397 times)

Offline andy14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
which Charles Black ? COMPLETE
« on: Sunday 14 September 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I'd value for opinions, I'm new to all of this, with some luck and info from other family members, I've got back realitively smoothly back to my 4xggf. Peter Black born 20/3/1802 in Dunbar. I know his parents areCharles Black & Janet Watson and that they where married 12/7/1799. However when I search SP for Chrles Black birth I get 19  born in scotland between 1770-1789 (a range I think would cover the likely birth given marriage date). 13 I can dismiss as born way out of range. The most likely is one born 19/2/1777 in Queensferry to Charles Black & Katharine Blackwood. Looking at the children of charles and janet, they have 5, the first born male being a charles black the first born female being a catharine. Does this look like a good bet? I can't find Charleson 1841 census or a death record on sp.

Thanks
Andy
Black- East lothian
miller- edinburgh, roxburgh and fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: which Charles Black ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 September 08 22:53 BST (UK) »
If you ever do connect to the Charles Black in Queensferry, you might be interested in his Will & Testament entry showing on SP:

Charles Black, 16/04/1779, baker in Queensferry,    TD, Edinburgh Commissary Court, Ref: CC8/8/124

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Unfortunately it's looking likely Charles died before the 1841 census. :( I've found his wife Janet staying in Dunbar.

Address: Castle Street, Dunbar
Janet Black, f, 65, - b. Haddingtonshire
Charles ", m, 35, ag lab
Alexander ", m, 30, rabbit catcher

Janet was buried 23rd August 1846 at Dunbar, described as the widow of Charles. There's a possible burial for Charles, "labourer", on the 11th May 1823 also at Dunbar.

Have you looked at the original marriage entry for Charles and Janet on SP? It might reveal what parish Charles was from.

hume24

PS. I do have a Charles Black right time, same area, but I'm not sure if this is the same person. I'll have a check with what I've collected.

Offline andy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
hi Hume24

Wow!! thanks for that. Yes I've got their marraige on SP as 12/7/1799 in Dunbar, I've also got alexander as their 4th child born 18/7/1805. Intresting she's back in dunbar as I have them in Spott (just outside dunbar) in 1808.

Still not certain through that I've got the right charles black marrying Janet. As the wedding cert says both of this parish. but no Charles Black between 1770 and 1789 in east lothian. The best fitting is a charles black from Queens ferry. This is based on names of charles and janets children and the parents of the charles from Queensferry

andy
Black- East lothian

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:00 BST (UK) »
I have been looking again, Andy, at the Charles Black I know of. He married Jean Hogg in 1778 and had six children: Margaret, James, Thomas, Archibald (died young), another Archibald, and lastly John in 1790. I'm wondering if his second marriage was to your Janet Watson, and he had another 5 children with her? Certainly possible enough.

Do you have his occupation from marriage/death certificates?

hume24

Offline andy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:09 BST (UK) »
The charles black I have, or think I have. Ie seems the best fit. is born 19/2/1777 marries janet 12/7/1799. (this is based on probably flawed thinking that he marries I know in 1777, he is the most likely charles black born in scotland between 1760 and 1785 according to SP) His occupation at marriage is hind at Tynnfield at time of marriage moves to Hallhill in 1804 then to spott by 1808. He and janet have 5 children Charles, Peter, Catharine,Alexander and george.

Where is your charles born and when?

andy
Black- East lothian

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

I know you have an approximate date of 1777 for your Charles' birth, but I think the occupation has confirmed it. :) On his son's death certificate, Charles was described as a hind.

I have two possible births for Charles: one in Prestonkirk 1752, son of James Black and Isabel Hogg and the other in Innerwick 1756, son of Francis Black and Margaret Craik. That would make him about 52 - 56 at the birth of his last son, George - not too old, especially if Janet was younger. Providing the death I found in Dunbar earlier is correct (1823), it would make him 67 - 71 when he died.

I'm leaning towards the first birth being correct as James was Charles' first son's name.

hume24

Offline andy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
hume24

Thank you. I think your right and that I've been barking up the wrong tree :'( It did seem strange connection between queens ferry and east lothian. Of intrest possibly to you Is I've got a marriage of a Margaret black daughter of a charles black labourer tinefield to aThomas spencer (tailor) at connongate edinburgh on 24 aug 1799. Does this fit in with your research?

Where does Charles fit in to your history

andy
Black- East lothian

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Andy,

Margaret did indeed marry Thomas Spence[r], although I didn't have the exact marriage date so thank you for that. She was b. 1779 in Spott.

The Blacks aren't blood relations to myself, but I thought I should add some detailed information for them. Robert Black, grandson of Charles (through son Archibald), married my 4x great-grandmother in 1859. Quite distant! ;) He died 1896 in Dunbar.

hume24