Author Topic: Dunnottar House  (Read 46663 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dunnottar House
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 September 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps it's the only picture of the house in existence!  ;)  Thanks for confirming that though, I'll see if I can get if via my local library and take a peek. 

To be perfectly honest, I don't know why I'm so hung up on this, when I tell myself enough's enough, it can't be found, it creeps back into my head!!  ::) ;D

Thanks for everyone's help - if I ever find anything else, I'll be sure to let you know!!

Lass x

Online Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 September 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
I found you a picture of Dunnottar house and will send it by PM.
Isabel
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 September 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
Isabel, you're a star!  Your help is very much appreciated, so glad I can now put this to rest!  I'm going to contact Stonehaven Heritage, as you suggested, and see whether they might have any pictures they would share.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, I've learned a lot about Dunnottar House, which has led me to get to know the surrounding area better too, so now I can appreciate my ancestors' lives more.

I wouldn't want to cause any problems with copyright by posting the pic in here.  If anyone else is interested in seeing the house, send me a pm with your email addy and I'll forward a copy to you, with due gratitude to Isabel for finding it  ;D

Lass x

Offline popplestones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass,
I am in the process of gaining permission to dive in the bays either side of the castle.
I was there with my wife and son on Saturday and have to say that it one of the most beautiful castles in this area.
I sport dive and thought that this bay looked great for a series of shallow dives.
I have been in touch with my local dive club and no one has dived here as far as we know.
I am not a treasure hunter and will leave any artifacts I find and will inform the owners of any potential finds.
My aim is to photograph the area and map the topography of the seabed and caves for future divers.
I will let you know if I find anything.
I do have some recent photos of the castle if you want to look.
I look forward to your reply.
Kind Regards, Peter.

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Sounds fascinating, I hope you get permission for your dive!  To be honest it was really Dunnottar House I was interested in, but the castle is beautiful and I'm sure everyone here would love to know how you get on with your dive, so please keep us updated!  :D

Lass x

Offline clairad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass,
We live in Stonehaven and have just been exploring in Dunottar Woods, which is why I stumbled across your posts as I was also trying to find out information about the house.  There is an 'ice house' which must have belonged to the house still there as well as the walled garden which now houses Dunottar Nurseries. You might also want to look up 'the shell house' or hoosie'.  Eleanor Kennedy had it built in the gardens for her 10 children and it is facinating and beautiful.  It was completely covered over with ivy and buried, but is now renovated as a tourist attraction.  No sign at all of the house and I have never heard anything of it since I have lived here.  You might do well contacting Gordon Ritchie at Connons Solicitors in the town - he has a great interest in the history of Stonehaven.   Anything else I can find out locally I will post again.

Claire

Offline clairad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 14:27 BST (UK) »

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Thanks so much for your interest and for directing me to Gordon Ritchie, it's not what you know, it's who!!  ;) ;D

I'd seen pictures of the ice house and the shell hoosie, it's fabulous!  I just couldn't believe the distinct lack of photographs of the actual house, I suppose with the internet these days, it's easy to take it for granted that everything is readily available!

I'd love it if you can keep me updated with anything more you find locally, and I'll do the same for all information gathered at my end!

Lass x

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Welcome to Rootschat and thank you for the link...fascinating. I'm in Aberdeen but I've never heard of it... I will put in on my list of things to see  :)

Elaine

P.S. If you scroll down to the bottom of any page here, you can click on a handy thing for shrinking links   :)
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk