Author Topic: Great, great grandfather Lappage  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Jimmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Great, great grandfather Lappage
« on: Tuesday 13 April 04 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Anyone got any ideas on the following?
I have found my great great grandfather under four names: James Sabbage,; James Labbage; James Lapage and James Lappage.  One might guess how the variations occurred, but I can find no definite info on his birth, and no evidence of his death.  The igi suggests he was born in Darlaston about 1827 (as Lapage), but in the 1861 census he claims birth in Birmingham, Warwickshire.  He married Leah Butler in 1846 at St Mathews, Walsall.  He does not appear in the 1881 census, but Leah does, living with her dauhgter Rachel with a family in Yorkshire.  His father was also a James (Lapage).  I cannot find him in the army lists, or in the lists of convicts transported to Australia.

I would greatly appreciate some ideas. ???

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Great, great grandfather Lappage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 04 02:17 BST (UK) »
Jimmy,

Have you made any progress on this one?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 04 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hallo Jimmy: I hope you don't mind me poking my nose in here but I did a search of IGI 2 years either side of 1827 for James Lappage. It showed a few who were christened at Horseley Heath, Tipton or Stafford. One of them had a father also called James. Do you think it is possible that one of them is the one you need or that your James might have been christened in either of those places?

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 June 04 13:21 BST (UK) »
Jimmy
Have you though it might be a French name Le Page
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Jimmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 June 04 22:18 BST (UK) »
Kazza, Clincher and Sylviaann,

Thanks very much for your inputs.  However, I am still floundering on this one.

I have considered a French connection, Sylviaann - in fact when questioned about my origins I usually claim a debt to the Scarlet Pimpernel (well, it's a good dinner-party line) - but I cannot find a definite link.  The best I have found is a James Lappage born in the Channel Ilses in 1827, but I doubt he found his way to Darlaston.

Clincher: I also have looked at igi, several times, in case I missed something, and am aware of the Tipton/Horsley Heath lot, but their lines can be traced to other families than mine.  It was igi where I first found James Lapage, born Darlaston about 1827.  I soon found his wife Leah, although he was named as Sabbage in the church records(maybe too drunk to say his name properly, but the copper-plate script was probably too difficult to read properly) and Labbage in the bdm records.  

James and Leah were both illiterate, and probably could not count - at least to know their correct ages - and James may not have known where he was born.  I have looked at Warwickshire records and found a few Lappages and Lappidges recorded in St Philip's (Birmingham cathedral) records, but no Jameses.

Thanks again for your interest :D
I am still struggling  >:(
But ever hopeful  :)

Jimmy