Author Topic: Trustee  (Read 2777 times)

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trustee
« on: Tuesday 16 September 08 13:31 BST (UK) »
I am looking at the summary of a docment on the National Archives concerning the sale of a piece of land.

"including hopground and with 77a woodland in hand, to Ansell Day of Mayfield gent and William Collins of Brenchley, Kent timbermerchant and John Collens the younger of Goudhurst, Kent yeoman his trustee for £3,000 "

I am interested in John COLLENS, he is often described as the 'trustee' of his brother William COLLENS. What would this role entail ?????

Thanks
Iain.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Trustee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 15:27 BST (UK) »
I would presume that William would have been left money or property in a will but that he wasn't given control of it until he reached a prescribed age (usually 25 but sometimes 30).  In which case John an elder brother or other relative would be responsible for the investment of the money and management of the property.

These circumstances could also occur if William was considered medically (mentally) incapable of running his own affairs.

Precisely what William's responsibilities were would be outlined in the will or some other document.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trustee
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
David.

Thanks for that.
William was a timber merchant and the property in question was not subject of a will, just a business deal.
William was at the later end of his life... Last 10 years or so.
There are several documents i have seen where William is buying land/property with John who was a Yeoman Farmer type decribed as trustee.
Perhaps he held the purse strings ??