Author Topic: Kildonan Mackenzies  (Read 26349 times)

Offline carly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kildonan Mackenzies
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 September 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth,

Thanks for that,

Carly

Offline mishida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 April 11 03:47 BST (UK) »
Carly:

Any luck with finding more information about Murdoch and Christina? I'm interested because Murdoch is my GGG grandfather via Donald MacKenzie. My grandmother was Janet MacKenzie.

Like you, I have the date of birth in Kildonan, the marriage information, and Murdoch's death certificate.

I received information his father's name was John, but no corroborating data.

Regards,

Malcolm

Offline carly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 April 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,

Great to hear from a Mackenzie after all this time.  I haven't been able to go any further with Murdoch or even find any of his siblings, I'm sure he must have had some!  I had thought his father might be Alexander as he seemed to call his first born son Alexander, assuming this was his first born.

I come down from Murdoch's daughter Janet Mackenzie who married William Allan.  She was the baby of the family born in 1833 and it looks like her mother Christian died sometime after that and before 1841.  I wonder if Murdoch originally came from Rosshire as Mackenzie is not a Sutherlandshire name.  There was a rumour down through the family that they came from Rosshire but I have no proof of this at all. I wondered if he had been in a military campaign and was going through Kildonan for some reason.  Haven't been able to find anything about the sons John or Murdoch.  His daughter Christian married Benjamin Doull from Winless Caithness.

It is very frustrating not to know Murdoch's parents. I thought when he lived past 1855 it would be simple but what a disappointment to see the space blank!

If you want any of  details I have can you  send me your e-mail .  I still live in Caithness.

Regards

Carole

Offline mishida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 April 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
Carole:

Good to hear from you. I can't PM you yet, since I don't have enough posts on the forum. One more then, I'll send on my email address.

The information I got from a cousin is Murdoch's father's name is John (born in 1750) and his mother is Anne McGregor (born in 1753). However, I can't confirm this.

I have Achintoul, Kildonan as the birthplace for Murdoch, and Knockfin, Kildonan for Christina (Christian). I also have a birth date of 1774 for Christina, which can't be right since Janet was born in 1833.

Regards

Malcolm

Offline mishida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 April 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
Carole:

The data I was able to find online is James MacKenzie of Keppoch bought Kildonan in 1729. It was sold by Alexander MacKenzie in 1775. So there is a MacKenzie presence in Sutherland.

The strath of Kildonan was decimated during the Clearances (1811 - 1831) and the population declined from 1,574 to 257.

Not sure why the MacKenzie's moved to Caithness. Hopefully, you have more of the family history.

Regards

Malcolm

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 April 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Not butting in but most of my McKenzie's from Kildonan emigrated to New Zealand
also some to Canada
have you looked for anyone there

As I said before at the start of this thread (I think)

I have Alexander McKenzie m Ann Polson
they have also got a son Alexander and a grandson so the McKenzie's must have been there for some time

5 out of the 11 children emigrated leaving only one son at home
with his sisters .Sorry I don't have a Murdoch McKenzie YET
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Sneckie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hello  :) - I've just started researching the family and I'm from the William Allan / Janet Mackenzie line of the family, so that makes Murdoch my great, great, great grand father I think? (I'm 21) - we're in Inverness now. Without meaning to sound cheeky, could you send the information that you have so far? As this would be a massive help

Thanks a lot :)

Offline carly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would be interested to know which Allan is your ancestor.  I have a bit of info on Murdoch and Christian but not a lot. 

Carly

Offline Sneckie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Jane Allan was my granny's granny :)