Author Topic: charles arthur davies born 1860  (Read 10930 times)

Offline swona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
charles arthur davies born 1860
« on: Friday 19 September 08 12:41 BST (UK) »
looking for relatives of Charles Arthur Davies born in the Parish of St Peter Carmarthen 1860 was a WELSH GUARD in India and settled in New Zealand

Offline HollyMM

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: charles arthur davies born 1860
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm one of his great-great grand-daughters, so I'm definitely descended from him. :) I was born in and have lived in New Zealand all my life (nearly 21 years). Sadly no one can say if he or his wife, Agnes Menase (Maiden name) had any sisters or brothers, as I'm interested in if they had any siblings at all. :)

I do know, though, that Charles and Agnes had, I think, 13 kids, with two sons (at least) serving in WW1--both came back. The two who served were William John Davies, and Richard Smellie Davies. As far as I know, their other childrens names were: James, Walter Edward (my great-grandfather), Arthur, Margaret, Ethel May, Llewellyn Charles, Laurina Elizabeth, Thomas, Charles, Agnes, Lucy and Ruby.

I also had been given some information on Charles as well, given to me from my mother, and tried to transcribe the hard-to-read page onto Microsoft Word. What I got out of it was the following:

Wife:
Agnes Menase

Children:
James (Jim) 1st child
Walter Edward 2nd child; b. c.1887
Agnes (Aggie)
Richard (Dick)
Lucy
Ruby
Llewellyn Charles b. 1890
William John
Arthur
Margaret
Ethel May (Ettie)
Thomas (Tom) 12th child
Charles (Charlie) 13th child

Transcription:

Charles Arthur Davies was born in Carmarthen, Dyfed, Wales, UK in 1860 in the parish of St Peters. He was the second son of Anne and James. He was 5ft and 7 ½ inches, of fresh complexion with hazel eyes and dark hair. He had the mark of a burn on his left elbow and a cross on his left forearm. He was brought up a Baptist. He was a labourer. Charles joined the 1st Battery, 6th brigade of the Royal Artillery on the 10th May 1877 at Carmarthen aged 17 years.
He was educated in the army and won a medal with a clasp in the Zulu Campaign of 1879, probably sent over in the secondary reinforcement group. The inscription on the medal reads “4447 “Gun” C Davies N/5th B[indecipherable] KA. The number on his paybook was 16591. He served nine years and 267 days service aboard out of a total of 12 years, 56 days.
On 11th October 1882, he married Agnes Menase at [Kamptee, East India-but there is no Kamptee in India, according to Google Maps AND Google Earth. But there IS a place called Kamptee in Britain. Perhaps they meant Britain?] She was the second daughter of Thomas and Mary-Anne. Thomas was a civil servant and they were both half French and half Indian. Agnes was less than 5ft tall and always wore her hair back in a bun. She had servants at home and was educated in a convent.
They moved to Bangalore where Agnes gave birth to James (Jim) and then Walter Edward who was born in c.1887. Charles was discharged from the army on 10th June 1889 at Bangalore and the discharge was confirmed on the 1st July 1889.

Llewellyn Charles was born in Heathcote Valley, Canterbury, NZ on 2nd October 1890.

Wises Directory records Charles Davies in 1901 as being a settler in Otakeho 75 miles from Wanganui. It is supposed that he was a land ballot. Land was very difficult to clear and they would have lived in a small cabin. Agnes was ashamed that her sons had to work like labourers as they had servants in Kamptee. Agnes produced thirteen children. She had at least one child die in her arms of diphtheria.

According to the Wises Directory, they were still in Otakeho in 1908.

1912: They were in Picton and lived in Nelson Square. Charles was a photographer. Arthur, Walter and William were labourers.

1916: Charles was a labourer at Prince Street, Onehunga (Auckland); also a labourer in 1928.

They possibly spent time at Toko, Douglas and Huriria[possibly incorrect spelling].

1932: Charles and Agnes had their Golden Wedding Anniversary at 11 Albert Street, Onehunga.

Charles died in August 1937, aged 77 years.

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 09 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Holly glad youve found a connection hope swona gets back to you.Kamptee is in India and was a military base for the British so i think it  looks likely they married there. check out link below
http://www.ans.com.au/~rampais/genelogy/india/kamptee/index.htm

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline HollyMM

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Holly glad youve found a connection hope swona gets back to you.Kamptee is in India and was a military base for the British so i think it  looks likely they married there. check out link below
http://www.ans.com.au/~rampais/genelogy/india/kamptee/index.htm

Welsh Lady

Thanks for that link. :) Yes, Swona has sent me a PM, yesterday.

Offline Vicmac

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly,
I am a grand daughter of Llewellyn Davies and have quite a bit of information and a lot of photos of the family. Also have info on some of Agnes Davies siblings. please email me on Email address no longer working for this user
Vicmac

Offline Delmara724

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 February 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a Great Grandaughter of Charles his son James was my Grandfather. I would like to contact you as I am very interested in finding out more on the history, have some myself.  It has been a long time since you posted but hope you will visit again soon, so we can communicate. Regards

Offline Chloeclones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello - I hope you are still checking your messages.  Ruby V. Davies was my grandmother and daughter of Charles A Davies and Agnes Menasse. Please contact me - would love to swap info. Cheers.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chloeclones,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

You sent a private message to Vicmac, sadly his emails are no longer working (there is a little note under his name) so sadly we have been unable to notifiy him of your message.

Hopefully swona will reply soon ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk