Author Topic: dolls hospital  (Read 13823 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: dolls hospital
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 September 08 18:55 BST (UK) »
There must have been someone very special at home he wanted to give it to. :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 September 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
Evening Kelly, glad you could give the precise location of the hospital and that it was around in the 1960s. The owner of the shop was the grandfather of my mother in law and until now no one was absolutely certain of its location and when it was in business. I would not know if Jarvis was the sole owner. regards stoop.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:40 BST (UK) »
The Doll was for my Aunt and she left it to me.  It is up in the loft in a  childsized carrycot because it gives my son the creeps.

Next time I get her out I'll try to do a photograph of her

I told Sotherby's about her and all they wanted was for me to sell her through them.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
Has your son been watching too many "Chucky" films, perhaps? ;D  One day one of your family will want it, I'm sure.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:41 BST (UK) »
she used to sit in a childsized basket chair and she looked like a real person.   Very beautiful. 

By the way I see they are selling those ghastly "Chucky Dolls "
again.  People never learn.

Offline bunbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:41 GMT (UK) »
My Mum started her working life at the Dolls Hospital that must have been in 1930 ish It was on Brownlow Hill and I have a couple of pictures of some of the girls that worked there probably all gone by now. It was called Pritchards I think.

Offline bunbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 April 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
My Mother worked in the Dolls Hospital when she left school, that would have been about 1931-31dont know much about it but I am sure it was Brownlow Hill, I remember when we were on the bus she said it was there. I have a couple of photographs which I think are from there, it appears to be called Bradleys and the dates on them are 1932 & 34. I have some names on the back if you new someone who worked there.

Offline carolynb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 April 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
My daughter was born in 1969 and when she was. about two years old she was given a baby doll that had had two previous family member owners .One day I heard her crying only to find that the dolls eyes had broken and where inside her head . I rang the Liverpool dolls hospital who advised me to post the head to them. When it was returned not only had she got two lovely new eyes but had had her hair done complete with a flowered  Alice band .My daughter was happy again . I still have the doll it has been played with by lots of children over the years most recent my granddaughter. Alas one eye has gone again so she is wearing a plaster this time. So the hospital must have been ther early seventies. What good service they gave
Hill,Griffiths,Davison,Hewitt,Foulkes, Flintshire
Hill, Assal,Thomas Cheshire/Flintshire
Brennan Queens county (Laois)
Hynnes Galway
Flood  Wicklow/Lancashire     Geogehan/Gahan Wicklow to Lancashire
Currie Monaghan/Scotland
Behan Kings and Kildare
Purcell Wexford/ co kilkenny
Hunt Wexford
Hoey Louth
Kean Ireland
Flannagan Kings County Offley
Leather Lancashire
Woodward Lancashire
Thomas Lancashire
Garnett lancashire
Haselden Lancashire
Singleton Lancashire

Offline GreenGarden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: dolls hospital Liverpool
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The Dolls Hospital 'Shop' is still there in Mount Pleasant although not now a shop of any sort. It is on the right going up the hill and has a central door with a small square bay window on each side It's painted black.
I pass it often and remember how magical I found it as a little girl in the 1950's, my heart exploded with joy whenever I went there. The shop was full of dolls clothes all arranged on little racks like a grown up clothes shop. It was total heaven. I still have a couple of outfits I bought there as a real extra special birthday or Christmas present.
It was such a wonderful place I've often regretted there's nothing like it anymore.