Author Topic: dolls hospital  (Read 13848 times)

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: dolls hospital
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 September 08 20:08 BST (UK) »
The Dolls Hospital was on the  left hand side on Brownlow Hill,  past the University and near to where the Registry Office was, coming down towards Lewis's  from Kensington.    that was in the 1950's and 1960's as I remember it.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 September 08 20:39 BST (UK) »

Whatever happened to Doll's Hospitals?

Undoubtedly they were a casualty of our 'throwaway society'...:-(

I can remember taking my toy casualties to one in Lewisham, (South London) in the early 1960's.

Romilly :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 September 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
I was a frequent visitor to the Dolls' Hospital in Rochdale, somewhere near Cheetham Street, as I had a baby-sized doll with a hollow head, and couldn't resist poking its eyes in.  My other doll, made of black satin and stuffed with old stockings, I think, often underwent First Aid at home in the form of darns and patches, as our dog, also black, used to pinch it and have a bit of a chew at it.  I have it still, but the dog is long gone.

Today's toys aren't made to be mended, just thrown away.  It's a total culture shift from "Make do and mend".  Gosh, now I do sound old! :(

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 September 08 11:04 BST (UK) »
I have a doll that is childsized that was made in the 1880's.  Was brought back from Flanders in or after WW1 by a great uncle who brought her back in his kitbag.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 September 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
My baby doll, named after the then Princess Elizabeth, was a post-WW2 doll. so not nearly as impressive as your WW1 child-sized one - how big was it? Baby, toddler or even bigger? :o

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:17 BST (UK) »
My Doll is something like the size of a real toddler. 36 inches tall.   she has ear-rings as well with pearls on them.

I also  have the Dress up Dolls of the Queen and Princess Margaret.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:52 BST (UK) »
Can't help wondering how he fitted it into his kitbag. :) It sounds fantastic.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 September 08 18:27 BST (UK) »
It filled his kitbag I am told  he left other stuff there in order to bring the doll home  The doll is double jointed

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 September 08 18:44 BST (UK) »
It filled his kitbag I am told  he left other stuff there in order to bring the doll home  The doll is double jointed

Any chance of posting a pic of it?

We're all intrigued...I'm sure.

Romilly :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.