Author Topic: Ellwood fo Crosby Ravensworth  (Read 21989 times)

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ellwood fo Crosby Ravensworth
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 August 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have some 1811 Ellwood data of MM:

Maulds Meaburn in the parish of CR has three Ellwood entries for 1811:

John Ellwood 1male 1 female husbandry
Wm Ellwood 4 males 2 females husbandry
Wm Ellwood 3males 2 females husbandry

The first two entries are adjacent & the third entry is four entries later.

John could be of Trainlands and his wife Mary Ruddock marr 1806 CR.

The two Williams could be:

William husband of Frances

plus another William Ellwood family.

Has anyone worked out who the three Ellwood families are?

Regards,

Gillian 

Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Caravan1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just joined Rootsweb and came across your chat. My family are the Stephensons from Dufton, and we have a fairly good tree back to 1744. I have a marriage of my great great grandfather, Benjamin, to Mary Ellwood of Maulds Meaburn, Mary born 1842. I have a photo taken about 1910 which shows Mary and Benjamin, along with their son, George and his wife and their 2 boys (one of them my grandfather). Does this link in with your research? It would be interesting to know how Mary fits into the family.

Offline PatriciaH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caravan1

The Mary Ellwood who married Benjamin Stephenson on 26/11/1862 could well be Mary Ellwood shown aged 7 in the 1851 census for Maulds Meaburn. This makes her the sister of Thomas Ellwood (b. 1836) who is my great grandfather. This would mean Thomas and Mary's parents are our common GGG Grandparents with the direct line details as follows (the double 'L' in Ellwood sets off as a single 'L'):

William Elwood b. c1755 married Frances (Fanny) Rebanks in Crosby Ravensworth (CR) on 14/6/1775.
Their son John Elwood (chr. 16/9/1787) married his 2nd wife Margaret Nutt in CR on 19/10/1829 (his 2nd wife Mary Eggleston d.1827).  John & Margaret had 6 children that I'm aware of:

Jane b. 1830
John b. 1834 d. 1861 (consumption)
THOMAS  chr. 20/12/1836
Matthew b. 1839
MARY b. 1843 (?)
Margaret b. 1849

Hope this helps.

Are you able to attach the photo you have? I'd love to see my (possible) Great Great Aunt Mary! I don't have any photos going back that far on the Ellwood side.

Regards

Pat

Ellwood:  Westmoreland & Weardale
Angus: Weardale
Watson: Bedale, North Yorkshire
Billing(s): Northamptonshire & Warwickshire

Offline Caravan1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,
Very interesting. I have just spent the weekend in Dufton, and found the place where my ancestors lived, as I have 3 generations of lead miners in the family before Benjamin, who was my great great grandfather. We also went to Appleby, where Benjamin and Mary lived. Benjamin was a labourer in a market garden, now linked to the Stephensons who still live in Appleby. There is still a Stephenson (Alec) on the High St in Appleby - he is a greengrocer. His cousin, Martin, also lives in Appleby, and was until recently the owner of the Wild Rose Caravan Park.
For your info, Benjamin (b24.10.1841, d Feb 1923) and Mary had 6 children - - John, b 1866 (moved to Canada and the family there have been in touch with us)
- Mary, b1878, married  Joe Green in 1912 - I knew their son, Joe, who only died a couple of years ago)
- Jane, b1884
- George William, b1876 in Appleby, my great grandather and a tailor on High Wiend in Appleby.
- Emily, b1881, married Tom Hoggarty in 1922, d 1958 in Preston, I remember her as Great Aunt Emily - vivid memories of her house.
- Elizabeth, b1869, married a Laing.
No prob in sending you a copy of the photo - I have tried cutting and pasting it here, or attaching the file, but this system doesnt seem to let me. Do you know how we do that?The picture was taken in about 1912, and has Benjamin and Mary (my great great grandparents), Their son George William and his wife Harriet Irene (my great grandparents), and Benjamin (my grandfather) and his brother Leonard, who died in 1917.
If you let me know how to send it, I will!
Regards,
Allan

Offline PatriciaH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan, thanks for all the info - I've got lots of lead miners in my family too, in the Collings of Wearside: Hannah Colling married Thomas Ellwood (your Mary's brother). A gruesome occupation.

I have never tried to send a photo via this site but assumed it would be easy because there appears to be a link to do it, though that doesn't seem to actually lead anywhere. I've found the following link, however, which (allegedly!) explains how to do it:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

Hope you can follow it and it works, though it seems to take a lot of explaining!

Regards

Pat

Pat
Ellwood:  Westmoreland & Weardale
Angus: Weardale
Watson: Bedale, North Yorkshire
Billing(s): Northamptonshire & Warwickshire

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have hust found an interesting article about William Wilson who married Mary Ellwood in 1864. Mary was the daughter of John Ellwood & Margaret Nutt.

This is the link:

http://www.otlhs.ukme.com/WilliamWilson.html

Enjoy,

Gillian

Offline CherieWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 June 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I have just found an interesting article about William Wilson who married Mary Ellwood in 1864. Mary was the daughter of John Ellwood & Margaret Nutt.
This is the link:
http://www.otlhs.ukme.com/WilliamWilson.html
Enjoy,
Gillian
Hello
I found this thread in a Google search today and joined RootsChat immediately. I am a descendant of William Wilson mentioned in the article. His son, Thomas was my great-grandfather ... he emigrated to South Africa in the late 1800s.
My records show that Mary Ellwood was the daughter of Thomas Ellwood of CR. Her husband William Wilson sculpted a gravestone for Thomas (mentioned in the article).

I'm keen to find cousins who could fill me in on more info about the Ellwoods (or Wilsons).

Kind regards
Cherie Wright
Cape Town, South Africa
Hawes: London; southern Africa
Howells: Herefordshire; Lincolnshire
Goss: Folkestone
Brinkworth: London; Bournemouth
Mulligan: Lincolnshire
Cloete: southern Africa
Muller: southern Africa
Wilson: southern Africa; Orton, Westmorland
Ellwood: Westmorland
Pearce: southern Africa; UK
Gilmour: southern Africa; UK

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 June 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cherie,

Welcome to Rootschat!

You say that Mary was the daughter of Thomas. Did you mean John? Do you have any information about Mary Ellwood's Ellwood family?

Regards

Gillian

Offline CherieWright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian ... thanks for quick response!
According to my records, Mary Ellwood was the daughter of Thomas Ellwood and Mary Ellwood (snr. born about 1805 in Cumwhitton as per 1861 census, Cumberland). Thomas was a farmer according to 1841, 1851, 1861 censuses.

Perhaps, as you pointed out in the discussion above, Mary Snr's father was John???

If you read the article posted on the Orton/Tebay History Society website, you'll see a pic of Mary Ellwood (jnr) and her daughter, Mary Wilson in front of the wine and spirit retailer that they ran. Right underneath that photo is info that I helped complete as the initial posting had some inaccuracies. Info about Thomas Wilson and family is about our South African branch of the Wilson family.

I don't have much more info about the Ellwoods. I know that William and Mary Wilson lived with them for a while when first married and William carved Thomas Ellwood's gravestone.

Of interest to me is the 1841 census (family recorded as resident Maulds Meaburn):
Thomas (35) farmer
Mary snr (35)
William (55) ?????
Frances (8)
Sarah (6)
Margaret (4)
Mary (2)
??? I wondered who the William was ... originally thought it might be a father.

Another fact that I do know is that (as noted by a cousin who visited CR and Orton a few years ago), the Ellwood daughters all died comparatively young ...

I found this website quite helpful when sourcing info about Westmorland: http://www.northofthesands.org.uk/westmoreland/surname/329/ellwood

Please let me know if you think I've made a mistake in my recording of the info.
Thanks again
Cherie

Hawes: London; southern Africa
Howells: Herefordshire; Lincolnshire
Goss: Folkestone
Brinkworth: London; Bournemouth
Mulligan: Lincolnshire
Cloete: southern Africa
Muller: southern Africa
Wilson: southern Africa; Orton, Westmorland
Ellwood: Westmorland
Pearce: southern Africa; UK