Author Topic: IRVINE & COCHRANE - Drumkeeran  (Read 8598 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
IRVINE & COCHRANE - Drumkeeran
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace back my OH's great grandparents Sarah Jane COCHRANE and Thomas IRVINE.
Sarah Jane b. 24 Mar 1891 - parents John COCHRAN^ (Labourer) and Catherine CHITTICK who married 11 Nov 1886 in Drumkeeran Church of Ireland.
Thomas b. 23 Nov 1883 - parents Henry IRVINE (Blacksmith) and Catherine MACKAY* who married 13 Jan 1865 in Magheraculmoney, Ardess Church of Ireland.

Sarah Jane and Thomas were married 19 Feb 1907 in Drumkeeran Church of Ireland.

I do not have birth dates/places or parents for:
John COCHRAN
Catherine CHITTICK
Henry IRVINE
Catherine MACKAY
^ John is COCHRAN on his marriage entry but COCHRANE on the birth of Sarah Jane
*Catherine is MACKAY on her marriage entry but MACKEY on the birth of Thomas

Any info is greatly appreciated, as it will be a long time before (if) I get a chance to visit in Ireland.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: IRVINE & COCHRANE - Drumkeeran
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:26 BST (UK) »
hi,

i found another 2 children for henry and catherine;

henry irvine born 25-feb-1869
father- henry irvine
mother-catherine mackey
civil district-irvinestown
sub district-ederney
co. fermanagh

catherine irvine born 5-feb-1871
father-henry irvine
mother-catherine mackey
civil district-irvinestown
sub district-ederney
co. fermanagh

but nothing for the dates of birth for the parents.

tony

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony =)
Thanks for looking =)

I've got (some of) the descendants but it's the ancestors that are being elusive.

Henry and Catherine had (I believe) 4 children; Henry 1869, Catherine 1871, Thomas 1883, Herbert (date unknown).
I expect Herbert fits in between Catherine and Thomas, probably another sibling/still birth/misscarriage in that space between 1871 and 1883 as well.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Offline daniel irvine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 May 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been searching my own ancestry and it seems we have a connection through Thomas Irvine and Sarah Cochrane. I am the grandson of Thomas and Sarah's son Thomas Russell (b.1908). I have been having similar issues trying to trace the antecedents of Henry and Catherine.
 As far as I could find both Henry's father was one Robert Irvine, and Catherine's father one Robert MacKay. I have no further details about them and the scarcity of Irish Records from the 19th century gives me the feeling of a dead end but I haven't given up hope.
I have also found that John Cochrane's mother was one Sarah Cochrane (nee Weir) b. about 1841.
Out of curiosity which of Thomas and Sarah's children were your family descended from?
I do have some more of Henry and Catherine's children if you are interested, there were 12 in all, that I have found at any rate.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Daniel

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 May 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel

Welcome to RC  :D

Thomas & Sarah's daughter Mary Susan was my husband's grandmother.

I have 10 children for Henry & Catherine.
08 Apr 1866 John
02 Sep 1867 Robert John
25 Feb 1869 Henry
05 Feb 1871 Catherine
18 Jan 1873 Robert
05 Jan 1875 William
29 Sep 1879 Elizabeth Jane
23 Nov 1883 Thomas
19 May 1885 Mary Susan

Catherine's father, Robert MACKEY/MACKAY (of Kesh) married Catherine AMRSTRONG (of Letterkeen) 29 Sep 1839 in Magheraculmoney.
I have 6 children for them (this may be incomplete):
1840 William
1842 John
16 May 1845 Catherine
22 Apr 1848 Thomas
09 Nov 1850 George
27 Jun 1855 Robert
27 May 1887 Francis George

I have the name WEIR somewhere...
I've got to rush off right now but I'll open up my files when I come back and have a look and get back to this thread again
. Ah, yes a very different branch (on my mother's side in Scotland).

1901 Ireland census has Catherine COCHRANE (CHITTICK) as daughter in law of unmarried Sarah WEIR - I don't think John COCHRANE's parents married. I have a note from my BIL that John's father was a William COCHRANE or COCHRAN but I haven't confirmed this with records yet.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 May 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
From PRONI MIC/1/67 (St Mary's Church, Ardess)

Robert MACKEY bp 17 Mar 1805 son of John MACKEY and Mary SPROULE (Joseph SPROULE was witness at m. of Robert MACKEY & Catherine ARMSTRONG).
John MACKEY & Mary SPROULE m. 21 Dec 1798
Also 04 mar 1800 Thomas

Catherine ARMSTRONG bp 15 Mar 1820 (or 1821) daur of William ARMSTRONG and Mary ???
There is a marriage of William ARMSTRONG to Mary COWAN but that's 1825 so probably a bit late...

Other children of William & Mary?
George bp 20 Aug 1815
Mary bp 30 Apr 1823
(both Edenagee, same as Catherine; all with father's occ not listed)

Is this the same William & Mary - these children all bp Parkhill instead of Edenagee; father's occ given as farmer. (dates are bp)
06 Jul 1834 William; 17 Apr 1838 Robert; 13 Sep 1840 Catherine; 19 Mar 1843 Mary; 19 Mar 1843 Margaret; 15 Jun 1845 Rebecca; 09 Nov 1848 Susanna; 26 Sep 1851 Christopher; 03 Jun 1855 James; 21 Feb 1858 John

Probably too big a gap between 1823 and 1834 to be the same.
Would a woman having a child in 1815 still be capable 43 years later in 1858? Even if she was 18 in 1815 she'd be over 60 by 1858...

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 May 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
I just thought...

Seeing as Thomas Russell and Mary Susan were siblings - your parent and my FIL will be first cousins and quite probably know each other ;)
Once you have made 3 posts on here (I think it's 3) you can use the private message system.

Offline daniel irvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 01:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

There is a lot of information there that I will need to go through when I get home. Some I have, but there seems to be a lot of extra that I have not come across yet. I was only guessing about John Cochrane's mother Weir - I thought that maybe she was widowed by the 1901 census and for some reason retook her maiden name, but not marrying makes sense too.  When I go through the information I will make another post and then see if I can access the private message system.

Offline daniel irvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 01:47 BST (UK) »
Also I will be able to see where the extra two children of Henry and Catherine may have come from.