Author Topic: Brickworks in Burton on Trent?  (Read 4982 times)

Offline claireandsi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brickworks in Burton on Trent?
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 16:59 BST (UK) »
Does anyone out there know if there was ever a brickworks in Burton on Trent. 

OH's gt gt grandfather William Henry (or just Henry) Chittleburgh lived in Shobnall Road and was a brickworks manager on both 1891 and 1901 censuses, but he would like to know which brickworks.  We know that there were brickworks in South Derbyshire, but wondered if he worked a little closer to home.

Hope somebody can help us, or point us in the right direction.

Claire

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brickworks in Burton on Trent?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 20:30 BST (UK) »
I have  taken this quote from the webpage listed below which I think indicates that there was indeed a brickworks.  There is currently a brick making firm in Branston which is the edge of Burton.

Smarts Brickworks drew red brick clay from a deep bed of some 40 feet. These measures extended onto adjacent property and was capitalised upon by another firm. The Birmingham Patent Brick & Tile Company was set up as a seperate brick making plant facing Stonehouse Lane during 1874. Promoters for the scheme comprised Edward and Henry Loader Ensor (Firebrick makers of Woodville, near Burton on Trent), B.W Blades ( brickmaker, West Bromwich) and William Henry Ward ( Architect of Birmingham). They had six kilns on their property. Two were capable of making 75,000 bricks at a time. The Patent Brick Company had a relatively short existence, when in September 1877 a decision was taken to wind up the company. Ownership it seems then passed to William Ward, who is recorded in trade directories as the owner after 1880.

http://www.bcn-society.co.uk/bp168_ray_byeways.php

My parents live near Burton, however they are currently away, if you are still searching then let me know and I will ask them if they can find anything out.  I certainly recognise the name of the street you are talkin about.

Gooid luck with your research

claire
Fagan - pos County Down, Workington, Manchester, Holberry - E. Retford, Manchester
Skinner - Devon, Manchester
Rainey/Reaney - Ireland,County Mayo, Manchester
Murphy, McCormish, Kelly, Dunn, Paddon, McAleavy, Messenger, Carruthers
Dunn - Sligo, Manchester, Scotland
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline claireandsi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Claire - your time and effort is appreciated.

Do you know the name of the brickmakers in Branston?  If your parents know any more, we'd be grateful for any help on this.   We know about the firms in South Derbyshire, including Woodville, but would this have been too far to travel to work.  We may be wrong, but think he probably would have lived nearer to the works, although we could be totally wrong about that (not for the first time while doing research  ::)

OH knows Burton very well (born and raised in Horninglow), although we now live away, which means we only get very limited access to local records.  Back in October, so we may get a chance to have a look at some records then.

Claire

Offline claire31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 08 22:02 BST (UK) »
Think it was P&J brick works

Just google brickworksin Burton and they come up serveral times.  However, I couldn't see any historical info about them.  My parents will be back in a week and so I will see if they know anyhing or come accross anything in the library.  I think Woodville would have been too far back then, you forget about distance now.

If you have any burning questions which could do with a quick look up give me a shout and I will ask them to look

Claire
Fagan - pos County Down, Workington, Manchester, Holberry - E. Retford, Manchester
Skinner - Devon, Manchester
Rainey/Reaney - Ireland,County Mayo, Manchester
Murphy, McCormish, Kelly, Dunn, Paddon, McAleavy, Messenger, Carruthers
Dunn - Sligo, Manchester, Scotland
Gratrix - Didsbury
Johnson/Johnstone
Siddons

Offline claireandsi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 08 06:31 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd have another look through some of the trade directories online and found in Kelly's 1896 directory

Lowe and Sons, brickmakers, Shobnall Road and Winshill

This is looking promising, just need to see if there is more info about them out there.
I'm sure we'd been through all the directories before, but must have missed this.  Probably just needed a fresh look - it can get so tiring going through pages and pages on a screen

Claire

Offline FamilyBDTC

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire (its only me!)

John the joiner says that the brickworks were behind the row of terraced houses of Forest Road on the land to the left of Reservoir road as you go towards Henhurst Hill.

I can show you where when you come in October!

Bye for now

Mr & Mrs B
Staffordshire: Burton upon Trent, Dunstall, Rugeley,Kings Bromley, Alrewas,
Leicestershire: Leicester.
Kingsclere, Hampshire

Offline claireandsi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mr and Mrs B.

:)

Claire

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 23:46 BST (UK) »
Can I put in a claim for Brick Kiln Lane (now Anslow Lane) in Rolleston, please.  I say this with feeling because my garden there was solid clay - sticky in winter, and rock hard in summer.
Regards
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.

Offline mystifier

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Gallagher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 January 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
There was a brick works on Ashby Road at this time.

Location can be seen on this 1881 OS Map extract.