Author Topic: Phoebe Skinner - 1841 census - fresh eyes needed please  (Read 9679 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Phoebe Skinner - 1841 census - fresh eyes needed please
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a Phoebe Skinner who according to the information I have was born 1795 in Rye.  She became the second wife of George Pilbeam in December quarter of 1843 in Rye. 

I cannot for the life of me find Phoebe on the 1841 census and I would appreciate a set of fresh eyes searching please.  I presume she must be in Rye if she married from there in 1843 but who knows. 

If anyone can find her I would be very grateful.

George died in 1857 at their farm in Ticehurst and I think I have found her death in 1858 back in Rye so despite not being able to find her baptism either I think she must have had family in Rye.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe Skinner - 1841 census - fresh eyes needed please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Could this be Phoebe?

1841 HO107/1106/5 folio15 page 23
Young Land, Peasmarsh, Rye, Sussex
Henry Sims          30   M.S.              N
Phebe Skinner     40  F. S.               Y
Hannah Cornwell 20  F. S.               Y

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 23:27 BST (UK) »
Barbara's looks much better than my suggestion but Family Search has a Phoebe Skinner born or baptised 1794 Tonbridge Kent - parents Thomas and Ann.

Then I wondered was she a spinster on marriage- do you have the marriage certificate with father's name?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 08 23:34 BST (UK) »
Just a point, noticed that in 1851 census her name is Pheobe (the name is usually spelled as you put it with the o before the e) - maybe why you didn't find the 1841?

With age rounded down 5 years could be right  :-\

Marriage cert would help, as Heywood says

Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 September 08 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara

Totally missed that one, but I bet that is her.

I haven't ordered the marriage certificate yet, she was the second marriage and not a direct relative but will add it to the list.

I had a flash of inspiration just as I was turning off the computer last night.  She was George's second marriage so was it hers as well.

Yes she was Phoebe Watson and she married John Skinner in Rye 1827!  Also found 2 possible boys a Thomas and a George Hadden Skinner baptised 1828 and 1830.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 08 07:52 BST (UK) »
Don't feel quite so silly now just looked on Ancestry who have her transcribed as Philis Skinne  ::) ::)

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 September 08 09:33 BST (UK) »
I've ordered both her marriage certificate to George and her death certificate because that might show a relative on it.

Due to be sent on Friday - gosh with WDYTYA currently on that's quick :o :o :o

Kerry

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 September 08 09:45 BST (UK) »
Don't feel quite so silly now just looked on Ancestry who have her transcribed as Philis Skinne  ::) ::)

I hope you've amended it!  I was using a different site  :D

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 08 09:53 BST (UK) »
Sometimes I don't know why I use it  ::) ::)

If I'm on the right trail I'm finding all sorts of clues to her family.  One of her children was baptised as George Hadden Skinner.  I've found some baptisms around the 1800 and earlier mark baptised as Haddon Watson.  I am wondering if that's her siblings and now I have found a will for a possible mother.

I'm adding Rye to my list of PRs to look at when I visit the Lewes Record Office in a couple of weeks  ;D ;D

Kerry