Author Topic: Phoebe Skinner - 1841 census - fresh eyes needed please  (Read 9677 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe Skinner - 1841 census - fresh eyes needed please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 September 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

I found that one this morning and a Thomas Skinner baptised 1828 to John and Phoebe and that is hence why I think there is a connection with the John Hadden Watson who could possible be Phoebe's father.  Hadden must be a family name somewhere but I can't find a marriage between a Watson and Hadden and the two marriages I found for John Hadden Watson were to a Brown and a Luxford. 

There are a number of Watson baptisms with the name Hadden in them to a John and Margaret around the right time frame. 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 September 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
those Hadden Watsons on IGI would be the time frame of siblings to Phoebe, I think  ???

There is a Rye marriage - John Watson to Margaret Hemmings 1790  which doesn't help but fits with the parents. Then a birth for a John- parents Nicholas and Mary (Appleton) - frustrating  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 September 08 20:32 BST (UK) »
Arr Heywood I couldn't find that marriage to Margaret.

I found two for a John to a Mary in 1791 and widr to Elizabeth in 1797.  I then went onto the Family Search pilot site and found a number of baptisms (annoyingly not a Phoebe in sight  ::) ) and it looks like there must be two Johns because the children are being born and baptised to Margaret concurrently with Mary and then Elizabeth.

Annoyingly again both seem to have the name Hadden in the family.  The Appleton could be a link to Mary Brown who married John in 1791, one of the witnesses was Mary Appleton.  ::) ::)

Unless of course John had 3 wives all at the same time  ;D ;D ::) ::)

This is intriguing.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
just browsing through IGI Haddens and found:

John Hadden 1762 Rye - parents Nicholas Watson and Mary - this one is 2 yrs before the one listed as John Watson  both church records  ???
James Haddon 1796 - parents John Haddon and Mary Watson (wonder if this is John Haddon Watson really)

two marriages for Nicholas Watson -1748 Mercy Triggey and 1755 Mary Appleton

1790 John Watson marries Margaret Hemmings (Hadden children from this marriage)
1791 John Hadden Watson marries Mary Brown

1797 John Hadden Watson marries to Elizabeth Luxford (as you have said)

1745 Mary Hadden marries Thomas Appleton
1755 Mary Appleton marries Nicholas Watson - wonder if these two ladies are the same person

None of this finds Phoebe as we have said but perhaps the Hadden Watsons began with Mary Hadden/Appleton/Watson. I just enjoyed the last half hour or so tracking these down - even though it is to no avail!

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood :D

and it is never to no avail, it could well come in useful.  There seems to be stacks of Watsons and Haddens in Rye so sorting them all out could be quite a job.

Kerry

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
so if Pheobe Watson was married first to John Skinner did she have children i.e are there any skinner children amix with the pilbeams?

are the Pilbeams related to A&F Pilbeam funeral directors and also builders over at Southwick they have been going sometime
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni

First question, yes so far I have found a Thomas baptised 1828 and a George Hadden baptised 1830.  That is all so far but Rye records not on IGI.  That was what gave me the link with all the Hadden Watsons.  I've possibly found Thomas as a servant on the 1841 census in High Street, Rye and possibly George at Brede workhouse but I've not managed to find them in any other censusi yet.

Second question, quite possibly as there are Pilbeams all over Sussex and I know some at Brighton are connected to the Burwash Pilbeams so you never know  ;D  We have traced them back to Ticehurst in the late 1500s and as there are a stash at that point they have got to have been around for a long time before that.  ::)

Kerry

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:26 BST (UK) »
actually it was Patchings building thathas been going for  quite a long time (1880's i think) although they are now defunct (last year) Pilbeams funeral directors have been going longer than the buuilding side which started in 1955
now wasn't that a it of useless info. !  ;D

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 18:35 BST (UK) »
do you have Phylis Funnel married to William Pilbam?