Author Topic: McNeice - Morton - Shaw  (Read 5172 times)

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
McNeice - Morton - Shaw
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
My husbands g.g.grandfather was Conway McNeice b1791 Ballymena he married Anne (would love to know her other name)

My husbands g.g.grandfather was William Morton 1781, Antrim he married Rose (would love to know her other name)

My husbands g.g. grandfater was John Shaw b1791 Antrim he married Jane (would love to know her other name)

I found in the 1851 Census Sample:  All linen weavers in Ballinderry
Conway 60
Anne 60
Robert 24
Thomas 20
Isaac 16

Does anyone have anymore information on this family??

I think the Shaws and the Mortons lived in the same area of Antrim as Hugh Shaw b1827 married Rosemary Morton b1829. Their son Robert Hugh Shaw b1865 Antrim moved to Scotland married Mary McNeice b1869 Corstorphine, Edinburgh and became my husbands grandfather.

GrandmaSheila
Davidson, Black, Wishart: Fife, Shaw,Morton, McNeice, Gray: Antrim/Scotland
Aldred, Wright, Kirkman, Hurst,Byrom, Hart, Grimshaw,Openshaw. Wilkinson: Lancashire
Hughes: Mold/Wigan
Cubby, Williamson: Cumberland/Wigan

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: McNeice - Morton - Shaw
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 September 08 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi GrandmaShiela,

Might have some trade for you w.r.t. McNIECE.

There is a nest of them in the area around Glenavy, so just North of Ballinderry.

Conway McNIECE Esq (1738-1811), of nearby Pigeontown, was the brother-in-law, best friend, and executor of James WHITTLE (~1735-~1800) who had extensive linen interests, with international business connections (especially in South America and the West Indies).

However, I don't think this CM ever married ...

----

The CONWAY name is likely to derive ultimately from the major landlord in the area.

[Branding your (usually later) offspring this way was a way of showing allegiance or gratitude in those sychophantic times.  Especially if you had just been allocated a particularly juicy farm rental!]

----

The records of Glenavy parish church (St. Aidan's) contain the following baptismal possibilities for you:

19 May 1788   Conway, son of Thomas McNIECE
05 Nov 1792   Conway, son of John McNIECE

And earlier ...

09 dec 1738   Conway, son of Conway McNIECE

----

I'm not aware of any connection with the town of Ballymena.

However, James WHITTLE, and then his youngest son Stafford WHITTLE, lived at Thistleborough in the townland of Ballyshannaghill (Ballyshannochy or Ederaowen) in Camlin parish, a few kms NW of Glenavy village.

This property is referred to as Ballymena in one of the deeds.  Maybe your CM was born there ...

----

I have an (incomplete) extract of McNIECE BMD records from Glenavy, assembled by a fellow researcher.

[I am sure he would send you a copy as well.
 I'll send you his EMail by PM.]

-----

Interesting about Edinburgh.
The WHITTLEs married LATIMERs who had a presence in Morningside in the mid-19thC ...

----

Y'all keep trawlin' and haulin' there!

Capt. Jock

WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Capt. Jock,

I have Conway McNeice 1791 son of James

who was son of Conway 1737 who died in 1811

It would appear to be the same family??

Thank you so very much for the information you have provided - perhaps as you say CM was born at the property referred to as Ballymena.

I look forward to receiving a PM.

GrandmaSheila
Aldred, Wright, Kirkman, Hurst,Byrom, Hart, Grimshaw,Openshaw. Wilkinson: Lancashire

Offline Sharonmckelvie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 17 04:23 GMT (UK) »
My husbands g.g.grandfather was Conway McNeice b1791 Ballymena he married Anne (would love to know her other name)

My husbands g.g.grandfather was William Morton 1781, Antrim he married Rose (would love to know her other name)

My husbands g.g. grandfater was John Shaw b1791 Antrim he married Jane (would love to know her other name)

I found in the 1851 Census Sample:  All linen weavers in Ballinderry
Conway 60
Anne 60
Robert 24
Thomas 20
Isaac 16

Does anyone have anymore information on this family??

I think the Shaws and the Mortons lived in the same area of Antrim as Hugh Shaw b1827 married Rosemary Morton b1829. Their son Robert Hugh Shaw b1865 Antrim moved to Scotland married Mary McNeice b1869 Corstorphine, Edinburgh and became my husbands grandfather.

GrandmaSheila

Hi first time posting and just came across this thread. I think my great grandmother was a daughter of Robert Shaw and Mary McNeice. Her name was Nellie Shaw b1909 in greendykes road Broxburn. Struggling to get much more info before 1865. Can anyone help?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi first time posting and just came across this thread. I think my great grandmother was a daughter of Robert Shaw and Mary McNeice. Her name was Nellie Shaw b1909 in greendykes road Broxburn. Struggling to get much more info before 1865. Can anyone help?

Lots of information already posted on this thread (have a few good reads through to take in all the details) but new resources have come online since it was started.

Hugh Shaw b1827 married Rosemary Morton b1829. Their son Robert Hugh Shaw b1865 Antrim moved to Scotland married Mary McNeice b1869 Corstorphine, Edinburgh and became my husbands grandfather.

Hugh Shaw, son of John, married (1850) Rosemary Morton, daughter of William. Psossible death for a Rose Mary Shaw (age 39) in 1868 Ballymena district. These certificates will eventually be added to Irish Genealogy site (free).

Son James (1867) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F512-DYV
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03477/2277479.pdf
Birth certificate gives father as living in Monaghan
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
Re: McNeice
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 March 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
My husbands mother was Mary Shaw the youngest child of Robert Hugh Shaw and Mary McNeish and was born in 1911 the family did live in Greendykes Road and Nellie was her sister. 

Robert Hugh Shaw died in 1936 aged 73 and is buried with Mary who died in 1941, also buried with them is their son Robert who died in 1940 (aged 39)  and their son William who died in 2002 (aged 96).

This is the Shaw family:
Barbara 1887
Hugh 1890
Lizzie 1894
Maggie Steele Shaw 1897
Robert 1900
William 1902
John 1905
Nellie 1909
Mary 1911

Offline Sharonmckelvie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 March 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GrandmaShelia

My grandad was Joseph McKelvie b1928 he died 14/02/16, His mother was Nellie and father was John. I think this would mean that my grandad was your husbands cousin. He has a sister Ellen margaret (Elma) b1936 and a brother John b1945 that are living.

i still live in broxburn not far from Greendykes Road.

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 March 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a PM.