Author Topic: Uddingston photographer  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uddingston photographer
« on: Monday 22 September 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know when a photographer called A Lemay worked at the Studio Royal, Uddingston?
I am researching Kemp, Emslie, Mitchell in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire; Marshall, Shewan and Adie in Longside/Peterhead, Aberdeenshire; Still, Sim, Duncan and Andrew in Boyndie/Fordyce Banffshire; Niven, Bruce, Ross, Robert in Fetteresso / Durris, Kincardineshire.

I have been researching for over 20 years and have a very extensive tree involving each of those names, proven back to the early 18th century in some cases.

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: Uddingston photographer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My parents wedding photograph in 1943 is by Le May in Uddingston.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

On checking my aunts wedding picture that was taken by Le May in 1936.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Andrew.   Do the photos just show the name, or is there an address?  My one says Studio Royal, Uddingston.

The problem I have, is that the photo is of people who lived all their lives in eastern Aberdeenshire and I have no idea why they would ever have been in Uddingston - especially in the early 1920s, which is when I think my one may have been taken.   I did wonder if this was a photographer who travelled around the country.  Were your people local to Uddingston?   
I am researching Kemp, Emslie, Mitchell in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire; Marshall, Shewan and Adie in Longside/Peterhead, Aberdeenshire; Still, Sim, Duncan and Andrew in Boyndie/Fordyce Banffshire; Niven, Bruce, Ross, Robert in Fetteresso / Durris, Kincardineshire.

I have been researching for over 20 years and have a very extensive tree involving each of those names, proven back to the early 18th century in some cases.

Offline colvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
Le May's studio was in Main Street, Uddingston.   I went to school with Arthur Le May in the 1950s.   The property was demolished in the late 60s. I think.
Colvin

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colvin - that's really helpful.   

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 September 08 00:13 BST (UK) »
Yes my family were living in the area and the name of the studio was the same.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline colvin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 September 08 15:32 BST (UK) »
Further to my earlier answer the studio was actually part of the family home and in the front garden was a board showing, behind glass, samples of the photographer's work.   As I remember it, it was the grandfather who was the photographer and was a very dapper man who always wore a bow tie.   The property was demolished as part of redevelopment and new houses were built there.  Oh nostalgia, nostalgia!
Colvin

Offline duinemor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
I have a family portrait by A Le May Uddingston taken very early 1920s.  Also I have a school class photograph from c. 1956 at Muiredge Primary where one of the girls is Christine Le May.