Author Topic: Cassells surname  (Read 7073 times)

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cassells surname
« on: Tuesday 23 September 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother Mary Ann Cassells was born in 1855 in Limerick. This is according to the entry in the 1881 census for England. At this time she was married to David Seaman and lived in Gislingham, Suffolk.
I am told that Cassells is an English name, and that probably her father emigrated to Ireland, may have married there and she was born there.
Can anyone help with other information please?
Geoffrey Charge. gt-gt-grandson.
Charge, Gray, McCorry. Essex,Suffolk, Ireland (Armagh)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cassells surname
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 12:19 BST (UK) »
There are 15 records for Cassells in IGI- searching under Co. Limerick. While it might originally have been an English surname it looks like there were Cassells in Ireland  long time.
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 September 08 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I now have a copy of the marriage certificate for Mary Anne Cassells.
It shows her father as John Cassells, living in Mallow Street, Limerick at the time of her marriage 05/10/1872.
I would now like to trace his wife, Mary's mother, as she would be my great-great-grandmother, and also find the birth of Mary Anne in 1855.
Also Mary's husband David Seaman was a English soldier in the 64th Regiment, stationed at New Barracks, Limerick. Can anyone tell me whereabouts those barracks were situated in 1872, and which particular regiment was the 64th?
Thank you.
Geoffrey Charge

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate lists the residences of bride and groom at the time of the marriage and may not be where her family lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LimerickLad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 16:02 BST (UK) »
The 64th (2nd Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot was an infantry regiment of the British Army, created in 1756 and becoming the 1st Battalion, The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment) in 1881.

On return from India in 1861, the regiment spent six years in England, moving to Malta in 1867, then Ireland in 1872. In 1874, line infantry battalions were linked in pairs, and the 64th formed a joint depot with the 98th (Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Foot at Limerick. The depot moved to Lichfield, Staffordshire in 1880.

The New Barracks still exists is called Sarsfield Bks entrance on Lord Edward St and is occupied by the Irish Army.  It is only a short walk form Mallow St.   

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 October 08 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Limericklad,
I have now emailed the Regimental Museum to see if they have my
great-grandfathers service record.
Geoff.

Offline CASSELLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 09 15:32 BST (UK) »
I can confirm that Mary Ann Cassells married David Seaman. I am related to David and have traced both his brothers, sisters, children and his parents. I would say that your information has been very useful to me, therefore I will share some information with you.

David was Born 1850 and according to the census records it was Jul - Sept, His father was Elisha Seaman and that is where I am stuck with my records as SUFFOLK registers around this date are damaged.

I also have Mary as having five children 3 girls, Charlotte, Eliza, Emma (Emily?)and 2 boys, Elisha and william (Charlotte died at a young age)

I do have a family site on MY HERITAGE.COM

Thanks
Phil

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message Phil.  I have not found Charlotte, but there was another son Arthur born in St.Osyth about 1894. Eliza was my maternal grandmother.
David's father Elisha married Frances Hudson in Cotton, Suffolk on 9th January 1834. He was born about 1819, she was older, born about 1811. I assume you are already aware of this.
As I am only researching my maternal line the information I have about David and his relatives is purely incidental and only acquired in passing.
This website is very good for getting help, I am sure you will be able to find more about Elisha by asking a question under the England, Suffolk section.
Good luck.
Geoff.

Offline CASSELLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 August 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Geoff

Phil