Author Topic: Commissary Ct for Huggett surname  (Read 9655 times)

Offline rihuggett

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Commissary Ct for Huggett surname
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 April 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Have you discovered any connections between the Huggetts of Charlwood, Surrey and the Huggetts of East Grinstead, Sussex?

Hello,
I have no found any connection either with the Charlwood Huggetts nor the East Grinstead Huggetts.  I have numerous Huggetts from Horne and Burstow in the C17 - C20 and their descendants in Reigate, Richmond, Sutton, Croydon and into Sussex.  Let me know if you are interested in them.   I also have a pedigree from Joyce Cully, email on request which links Lingfield, via Horne to East Grinstead. 

Abraham (Huggitt), b.12/01/1660-1, bapt. 27/01/1660-1 Horne - d.1717, buried 13/06/1717 East Grinstead, Yeoman of East Grinstead
Married firstly 06/11/1683 St George the Martyr, Southwark Ann Blandell
Abraham, bapt. 06/01/1684 East Grinstead
Benjamin, d.26/09/1741 East Grinstead
Jane, bapt. 19/06/1687 East Grinstead
John, bapt. 15/08/1689 East Grinstead
Married 11/09/1716 Worth, Sussex Mary Holford
Married secondly 01/10/1691 St George the Martyr, Southwark Elizabeth Pine
Elizabeth, bapt. 1692 - d.1710
Anne, bapt. 1693 - d.1694
Emanuel (Immanuel Hugot), bapt. 12/04/1695 East Grinstead - d.1754, buried 08/12/1754 Horsted Keynes
Married 17/05/1723 or 1724 Horsted Keynes Anne Welfare
Hester, bapt. 04/11/1696 East Grinstead
Alexander, bapt. 1701 - d.1703
Barbara, bapt. 08/11/1706 East Grinstead

Do you know where this man fits in:
George Huggett, his son:
Abraham Huggett, b.c.1822 East Grinstead, Sussex.  He was a sawyer of Broad Green in 1844 and a sawyer living with his wife and family at Rose and Crown Yard, Croydon in 1851.  On his son James’ marriage (1886) Abraham was a sawyer.
Married 18/09/1842 St John the Baptist, Croydon Clara Bullocke, b.c.1825 Lewisham, daughter of John Bullocke.  She was 25 in 1851.

Also this man
John Huggett, bricklayer, b.c.1774 Croydon (source Harold Bower, GenesReunited), his son:
William Huggett, b.c.1806-10 East Grinstead - d.02/07/1876 aged 67.  On marriage William was a bachelor and a labourer of All Saints’, Norwood.  In the 1842 baptism of Mary Ann, he was called a bricklayer.  In the baptisms of 02/09/1849 he was called a labourer.  For 04/11/1849 he was a cooper.  For 11/05/1851 he was called a labourer again.  For 02/11/1856 he was a general dealer.  In the 1851 census he was a labourer of 10 Middle St, Croydon.  In 1861 a lodging house keeper and bricklayer of Middle Street.  In 1864 (marriage of Charlotte) he was a bricklayer.  In 1869 (marriage of Jane) he was a carpenter.  In 1874 (marriage of Elizabeth) he was a builder.  In 1871 a bricklayer of 5 Middle St, eccles. parish of St John’s, Croydon.  The probate record reads: William Huggett, effects under £100 - 14/08/1876.  Administration of the effects of William Huggett, late of “The Jolly Bleachers”, Union St, Croydon in the county of Surrey, beerhouse keeper who died 2 July 1876 at “The Jolly Bleachers” was granted at the principal registry to Sarah Huggett of “The Jolly Bleachers”, widow, the relict. 
Married 10/04/1842 Chapel of All Saints’, Upper Norwood, Croydon Sarah Wood, Mrs Hodder, b.c.1811 East Grinstead, Sussex, bapt. 28/07/1811 St Swithun‘s, East Grinstead - d.03/02/1886 of bronchitis at “The Jolly Bleachers“, daughter of William Wood and Sarah Cooper. 

Also this man
John Huggett, bricklayer.  He was a bricklayer on his son Henry’s marriage in 1859.  His 2 sons, George and Henry:
George Huggett, b.c.1822 Cowden, Kent.  In 1861 he was a general labourer living with his brother Henry and his family.
Henry Huggett, b.c.1831 East Grinstead, Sussex - d.23/01/1891 Croydon aged 59.  On marriage Henry was a labourer of full age, resident in Croydon.  In 1860 he was called a sawyer of Canterbury Rd.  In 1865 he was a labourer of Longley Rd.  In 1861 he was a general labourer aged 29 living in Canterbury Rd, Croydon with his wife, son and brother George.  In 1871 he was a mason’s labourer aged 39 living with his wife and 2 sons at 7 Milton Court Rd, St Paul’s Deptford, Eccles. Parish of St James’, Hatcham.  In 1881 he was a labourer (surname as Huggets) aged 49 living with his wife and sons at 32 Beulah Cottages, Croydon, eccles. parish of St Saviour.  His probate record reads: Henry Huggett of 89 Queen’s Rd, Croydon died 23 Jan 1891 at 89 Queen’s Rd; was proved at the principal registry by Agnes Ann Huggett of 89 Queen’s Rd, widow, the relict, the sole executrix.  Personal estate £155 2s.
Married 10/07/1859 Chapel of All Saints’, Upper Norwood, Croydon Agnes Ann Burgess, b.c.1832 - d.02/12/1899 Croydon RD aged 67.
Norfolk - Cory, Mills, Douglass, Dagless, Shingles, Burton
Surrey - Huggett, Butcher
Middlesex - Hassell, Spenceley, Millward, Mills, Barry, Kelly, Buckinger
Bucks - Chapman, North
Oxon - Pratt
Sussex - Butcher, Huggett

Offline Perry Streeter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 April 14 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply! Please send Joyce Cully's email address to perry@streeter.com and/or send my email address to her.

If my theories are correct, I descend from Anne, daughter of Abraham & Anne (Gummins) Huggett and granddaughter of Abraham & Anne (Blandell/Blundell) Huggett, all of East Grinstead.

Have you been in touch with expert Huggett researcher John Moore?  If not, I will ask him to take a look at the rest of your posting.

Thanks for your help!

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I realise this thread is very old but I was searching for surnames and stumbled across it.

Kate Huggett of Croydon was my great great grandmother. Her father was William Henry Huggett born 1844, Croydon.

If any of this is of interest to anyone I'd be happy to share what I've got. I was given some info (not checked it or verified it) but there are quite a few Abraham Huggetts on there.

I also have some photos of Kate and others, presumably Huggetts, maybe her parents, although I'm not sure.
Masters, Edwards, Gray, Fulthorpe, Herron, Zacks/Zaks/Sacks, Stadler, Palm

Offline rihuggett

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Kate Huggett of Croydon was my great great grandmother. Her father was William Henry Huggett born 1844, Croydon.
/quote]
Hello, yes I have Kate Mary Huggett, Mrs Masters down on my tree, her siblings (Annie Matilda Horwood, Rosina Pugh, the short-lived Elizabeth Sarah Rachel, Miriam Julia and William Henry [and possibly George])and her father.  William Henry b.1844 was a survivor of the 1856 smallpox outbreak which took several of his siblings as you have probably discovered.  His father William b1816 was the son of Richard Huggett b.1787 by his first wife Rachel Privett.  It was Richard who made the move from the 2 villages where we all come from, Horne and Burstow in Surrey.  Richard's father Abraham b.1757/8 (marr 1781 Ann Luckin) was the next youngest brother after my own ancester Richard b.1754 (marr 1781 Mary Bysh).

It will take you an age to get through it but if you can shed any light on things as you independently check it out, I would be grateful.  I have other Huggett lines from Surrey which I cannot tie up yet to our line.

Regards, Richard Huggett.

PS You have a closer relative and family genealogist in Ernie Huggett of Croydon and the vast amount of Huggett data I have built up is shared with Ernie.  I will happily send you all I have, but despite the name the "attachment and other options" indicated by the upwards arrow does not seem to allow the attachment of data, so you must provide me with an email address.  Mine is richard_huggett@yahoo.co.uk
Norfolk - Cory, Mills, Douglass, Dagless, Shingles, Burton
Surrey - Huggett, Butcher
Middlesex - Hassell, Spenceley, Millward, Mills, Barry, Kelly, Buckinger
Bucks - Chapman, North
Oxon - Pratt
Sussex - Butcher, Huggett

Offline rm91

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard, thanks for the reply and for your email address.

That is all in line with what I have on my tree, so that is good. I was shocked when I found out William and Elizabeth lost 6 children between 1856/1857 to smallpox. Must've been very tough times.

Thank you for the additional info and it is interesting to see just how we are related.

I have spoken to Ernie Huggett in the past through GenesReunited, he was the one that gave me the names/years of birth of the ancestors beyond Richard Huggett and Rachel Prevett/Privett, although I think he told me he got that information from someone else. Might have been you!

I will send over an email, thanks Richard.

Kind regards,
Russell
Masters, Edwards, Gray, Fulthorpe, Herron, Zacks/Zaks/Sacks, Stadler, Palm