Author Topic: surname HARBER - a book or even a rootschat project?  (Read 8785 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
surname HARBER - a book or even a rootschat project?
« on: Thursday 25 September 08 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have acquired a book about a woman called Martha Harber who lived in Alvechurch. It was written c.1904 in her memory just after she died - she was 87 and had lived a long but humble and extraordinary existence. The book describes her life, events and also the village of Alvechurch and how it and the people changed throughout the 19th century. She describes her friends and neighbours - one of whom was my gggg grandad - and particular 'odd' charachters in the village. Even the elderly folk in the poorhouse are mentioned by name who would otherwise be long forgotten about.
It is only very short - you can read it in an hour or so - and i dont intend to sell it or give it away - as it is a lovely reference to my gggg grandad and the place where my family originated, however i thought it would be nice if i could share it with someone who is researching marthas line (she herself didnt have children - but one of her siblings descendants perhaps). It includes a picture of the humble lady herself along with many anecdotes and memories - it would a be a lovely thing to have if you are researching the Harber family.

If no one replies to this, someone in the chatroom suggested we could open this as a rootschat project for rootschatters to find Marthas descendants...

Anyway, we'll see what respone we get!

Thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My grandmother, life in India
    • View Profile
Re: surname HARBER - a book or even a rootschat project?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 October 08 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,
it sounds charming and i would be interested , i used to work in Alvechurch, my pets vet is in Alveschurch and a close firend of mine has roots in Alvechurch.

i would not mind a dabble in finding out about Martha ,

Best wishes
Debz
Cutcliffe- Devon
Courtenay Powderham Castle
Barnard -Oxford and Claines
Tollet - Begbroke
Gamble and Clement Calcutta
SHAW-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
WILD-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 October 08 12:55 BST (UK) »
PS i would love to read it....  :)

Debz
Cutcliffe- Devon
Tollet - Begbroke
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 08 14:41 BST (UK) »
 If you go to this site there is a ref to Martha from the Historical Society' ( about halfway down page)

www.bsoc.co.uk/March2000.pdf

Had a quick look for family trees with Martha on them.  Nothing was obvious at first glance. It is lovely she has not been forgotten. Copies of the book are available possibly still, they are mentioned on site.

Trish

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
That was a lovely read and photos too  :)

i did have a look at martha's census returns ...it's still a nice little village even tho it's changed.

My cat hates going tho... Alvechurch means vaccinations  ;D

Debz
Cutcliffe- Devon
Tollet - Begbroke
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 October 08 15:48 BST (UK) »

Its worse for me ;D

I have 4 cats :) :)

I looked up censuses too.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 October 08 09:58 BST (UK) »
Here is Martha, taken late nineteenth century:

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 October 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
ah, what a sweetie....doesn't she look lovely Alison....

i sometimes go to the butchers in Alvechurch , in the row of houses where martha was servant.

beautiful photo.

Debz
Cutcliffe- Devon
Tollet - Begbroke
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 October 08 13:13 BST (UK) »
i would post some images of the book but i dont want to do that in case of copyright etc (although i dont think it was ever published as such - theres no publisher in it and its just a paper booklet). Has anyone got anywhere with tracing her family?

Alison