Author Topic: What database or program should I use ?  (Read 42940 times)

Offline casram

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What database or program should I use ?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Like Mike I also use Rootsmagic for my ONS -have done so for over 10 years and find it is very easy to use and it happily accepts unconnected individuals. I like the fact that I can easily join people to the appropriate family later as I find links ( or unlink them when I discover mistakes !) You can add notes to people and also pictures, scans of documents and other media.
I looked at Custodian but could see that it offered anything I could not do with Rootsmagic.

Carolyn
Broadhouse, Broadist and variants - world wide - one name study
Oxfordshire - Broadist, May, Carpenter, Eden, Goold (Gould), Parker, Tanner
Gloucestershire - Broddis, Deacon, Midwinter
London - Fox, Gill, Maidlow, Easton
Norfolk - Stebbings, Gore, Gotts, Hubbard, Cropley
Berkshire- Haines, Kent, Booker, Noke, Norris
Yorkshire - Ramsbottom, Robinson, Dawson
Northamptonshire - Jones, Loak, Dent, Randall, Reynolds, Ramsbottom, Jelley, Rutland
Ireland - Withers, Cassidy, Leahy, Sweeney

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gary2017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What database or program should I use ?
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you very much for your message! The way you described how RootsMagic works with the "unconnected" individuals and being able to make notes is exactly what I am looking for.  You described perfectly what I am looking for! I will be downloading RM tonight and I"m looking forward to using it.  This group has been great and thanks to you and Mike, I now feel confident which program will be best for me. Thanks again! :)

Hi
Like Mike I also use Rootsmagic for my ONS -have done so for over 10 years and find it is very easy to use and it happily accepts unconnected individuals. I like the fact that I can easily join people to the appropriate family later as I find links ( or unlink them when I discover mistakes !) You can add notes to people and also pictures, scans of documents and other media.
I looked at Custodian but could see that it offered anything I could not do with Rootsmagic.

Carolyn

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.