Author Topic: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School  (Read 28752 times)

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 January 09 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Susan18A,

Glad to make contact with you again.  (Pseudonyms hiding known friends - which probably happens to other Rootschatters!)
Apologies to anyone who just wants to know about Wilkie's Lane school.

breaky

Offline dundonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 March 09 21:51 GMT (UK) »
For the benefit of anyone interested in old school-registers, etc,  you should contact the Dundee City Archives as they have quite a collection.   You'll just have to ask them what they've got for St Joseph's.    Incidentally,  I was brought up in Wilkies Lane (1938 - 1951) and well remember the school.   I used to play in the playground in the evenings,  etc.    There was a war-time emergency water-tank  (about 10metres square by 1 metre deep) standing in the playground area bounded by Belfie;ld Street and Loudon's Alley.   This was for fire-fighting purposes.   I used to cut through the upper part of the school site to get from Wilkies Lane to Belfield Street on my way to school at Blackness Road.  At the top end of Wilkies Lane,  just past St Joseph's school ,  stood the catholic chapel.    As children,  we used to congregate outside the chapel when a wedding was taking place,  to wait for the departing couple to lean out of the window of the  wedding-car and throw pennies and ha'pennies,  for good luck!   It was certainly good luck if you managed to scrape up a penny or two and didn't get killed in the rush!!     Good luck to you all in your searches for Cuthills etc.

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 March 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dundonian,

I too know this area very well although my family moved out the area when I was about 6 years old into newer houses recently built on the outskirts of the city.

My uncle lived in Isles Lane just a bit down the Hawkhill from the St Josephs school. Some of the family lived on the Burn as it was called and we lived in City Road.

Betty
also a Dundonian!!

Offline dundonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 14 March 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I hope Colcal sees this,  as I cannot understand how to reply to her e-mail received today.   Re St Joseph's, etc, etc.  -  although I lived near St Joseph's School,  and played there,  I wasn't a pupil there.     I would cut through St Joseph's on way to my own school at Blackness Road.   Sorry to disappoint you Colcal

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 August 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dundonian,

Hope you read this post.  I've now found out that my Grandmother didn't go to school in Wilkie's Lane as I first thought.

My Grandmother and her family lived at 49a Wilkie's Lane in the early 1950s.  My Dad Terry Morgan would have been about 12 then and his little sister Sylvia about 10.  It's a long-shot but do you perhaps remember them?

Offline dundonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 August 09 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hello polarbearnoodles.   Sorry I have to disappoint you,  but I don't recognise the Morgan children.   I left Wilkies Lane in mid-1951,  and it may be that they hadn't yet arrived in the lane.    No 49a must have been well up the lane,  on the right side,  fairly near the chapel.     I lived at No.2 which was down the bottom of the lane overlooking the Hawkhill  (the main street).   

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 August 09 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Dundonian,

Just saw your previous reply re Wilkies Lane!!  Do you remember the DYE family who lived there? I am related to them.

Betty

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 August 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Dundonian,

Just saw your previous reply re Wilkies Lane!!  Do you remember the DYE family who lived there? I am related to them.

Betty

Offline dundonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 August 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Betty Boo,   I'm afraid the name DYE doesn't register with me(at present).      I do remember quite a few people who lived in Wilkies Lane but I ought to have made clear that I was aged 11 when I left  in 1951.   When were the DYE family there,  and,  if you know it,  what number did they live at??     My family  ( Mabel Smith,  Wilf,  June and Ronald - that's me ) occupied the third floor of No.2.     From our bedrooms we looked out across the Hawkhill,  and  the Princess cinema was right opposite.

Kind regards,