Author Topic: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School  (Read 28682 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again Dundonian,

The DYE family lived in Isles Lane in the 1950's and before that too, they were in a house upstairs on the left hand side as you entered Isles lane.

Big family Jessie, Rena, Patricia, Tony, George, Billy and others that I can't even remember now.  They too had a large house with inside toilet which was unusual at that time as most toilets were outside and shared with other families.

Ah the Princes Cinema I remember it well I used to line up every Saturday for the childrens films and I also remember getting in Free on your birthday as too.

Betty

Offline dundonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again Betty Boo,    I see now that your DYE family didn't live in Wilkies Lane itself,  but two streets away in Isles Lane.   That explains why I was unlikely to know them.      As regards the Princess Cinema,  I too used to line up every Saturday for the Princess Club.   I remember the proprietrix  (Miss Miles I think)  who used to lead us through the on-screen promise  (to be good citizens,  etc, -  I can't remember the details) and when she finished and said  "on with the show"  a huge roar went up as the main film started!   At the end they used to open the crash-doors into Well Road,  and we would stagger out into the blinding daylight having been in the dark for over an hour.   Happy days, eh?

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Dundonian,

Yes as you say Happy days!!  I left the town center to live in Douglas when I was about 6 years old.  I later went to Robertson's dance hall in the Hawkhill, we called it Robbies, don't know if you were old enough to remember that as you left Dundee in the 1950's.  It was thew 1960's before I went to Robbies, also saw the Beatles in the caird hall in the 1960's too.

Betty

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 07 August 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi  Polarbearnoodles,

I just happen to be reading through the messages and came across the one about Cuthill's.

I have a Cuthill in my tree.  She was May A Cuthill and she married a George McLaggan on the 7 Sept.1877 at Panmure Feus, Barry, Angus.  I have her father as being William Cuthill and mother Christina Gray. 

That is all the information I have on them at present.  I am sure I have a copy of the marriage certificate but do not have time at presen to look for it as going away to work.
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 07 August 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Weemanswife,

Thanks for your post.  Very interesting!  I think you're definitely related to me somehow.  We'll need to do some more research to work out how.

As you'll have read above, my Grandmother was a Cuthill and is descended from a long line of Cuthills who originate from Inverkeilor in Angus. 

There's a bunch of descendents from this line who have a private website and if your ancestor is from Barry it's likely that you will be related closely to one of them, if not me.

There are others on this thread who are also related to this line of Cuthills.

I'll have a look at the info you posted and try to work out how we fit together.

Please stay in touch.

Sharon

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 07 August 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I just had a quick look on scotlandspeople and I have found the marriage cert between May and George you mentioned.  As you say, her parents were William Cuthill and Christina Gray. 

My G-G-G Grandfather Robert Cuthill married a Christina Gray in 1865 but obviously these are not the same people!

I can't find a marriage cert for your William and Christina which would have helped to identify them.  I'll try to post on the Cuthill family website this weekend and see if your names chime with anyone.

Sharon

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 07 August 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
Me again!

I think I may have found your ancestor in my tree!  She might be my Great Great Grand Aunt, daughter of Robert Cuthill and Christina Gray who married in 1835 (not 1865 as I said in my last post).

Email me at (*) if you would like to discuss.

Sharon

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 08 August 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Back to the Cuthills.

I have found the marriage certificate for George McLaggan & May A Cuthill they married in 1877.
His father was given as George McLaggan & Mother Ann Tyrie.  May A Cuthill's father is given as
William Cuthill (Ploughman) and her Mother Christina Gray.

I have found a death certificate for George and it lists him as single and dieing on 5th May 1928 aged 72 at the Royal Asylum in the Parish of Montrose, Forfar.  His Mother & Father match but listed as single.

By the George would be a Great Grand Uncle to me.

My Mother's Father was a McLaggan and I was born and brought up in Carnoustie but now live in Fife.
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 08 August 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi sharon

Cannot let this go.  Have been at it all afternoon.  I have found a Georgina McLaggan born 26 Aug 1879 At Easthaven, Panbride, Carnoustie and her father was George McLaggan and Mary Ann Cuthill,  married 7 Sept 1877 in the Parish of Barry. 
You probably know that Barry & Panbride are both registration in Carnoustie.

Will carry on.