Author Topic: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School  (Read 28545 times)

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 09 August 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The mystery deepens, as my information fits with yours in some ways but not in others!

I have a death record for Annie McLagan, widow of George McLagan, a salmon fisher.  Annie died on 15 January 1946, aged 93, at 18 Smithy Croft, Arbroath.  Her father is shown as Robert Cuthill, ploughman (deceased) and her mother is shown as Christina Cuthill, m.s. Gray (deceased).  Her death was registered by her son Joseph Cuthill.

This puts her birth date at around 1853.

This fits with the 1861 census showing my Cuthill family (Robert and his wife Christina) which lists a daughter Ann aged 10.  She was born in Cromwell Park, Perth.

The marriage record which you drew my attention to also fits with these dates, as she was 23 when she married in 1877.

The problem is: why is her name shown as May A Cuthill and her father as William Cuthill if she is my ancestor and therefore a daughter to Robert Cuthill called Ann?

I'm also not entirely happy about May and George's marriage taking place in Barry as weddings were traditionally held in the bride's parish of birth.

I've not found a birth record for either an Ann or a May A Cuthill.  Nor can I find a marriage record for a William Cuthill marrying a Christina Gray.

I'll do some more digging this afternoon but I thought I'd post what I have in the meantime.

More later!

Sharon

Offline weemanswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 09 August 09 17:17 BST (UK) »
I have found a death certificate for a Annie McLagan who was married to George McLagan and it gives her parents as Robert Cuthill and Christina Grayshe died aged 93 in 1946 at 18 Smithy Croft, Arbroath.  Jos. Cuthill son was informant.
It states she was the widow of George McLagan and yet the death certificate for George who died in 1928 at the Royal Asylum in Montrose discribes him as being single.

It is all very confusing but interesting.

Regards Joan
Anderson, Arrnott, Alexander,Brand,McKay,Rattray,Maguire,Green,Wallace,McLaggan,Guild,Ferguson,Donaldson

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 10 August 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan

I had a look at George's death cert - did you notice there is an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries?  Alas, it's not been scanned so we can't view it!  I wonder if it says he is not single and is actually married to May or Annie Cuthill.

I was once told of a saying in genealogy:  The information is only as good as the informant's knowledge of the deceased!

Did you also notice on Annie's death certificate that their son Joseph's surname was Cuthill - not McLagan!?  I tried to find his birth record but no luck so far.

Thanks for your info on the two daughters - I'll have a look at those records.

I did some digging yesterday but to no avail.  I did find a George and Ann McLagan on a 1901 census in Dundee.  There was also a son called Alexander so I looked up his birth record but his mother's maiden name was Low so they're not our family.  I kept in mind that there was another George and Ann McLagan in Angus at the time but his occupation was a coach driver and our findings to date all show our George to be a salmon fisher so I'm confident our findings so far are correct.

I plan to post on the Cuthill Family Directory and ask a chap called David Gray for advice.  David is an experienced and knowledgable researcher and is an expert on the Cuthill/Gray families of Angus - he may have come across all this before and already sorted it out.  He lives in Arbroath so not far from you!

Fingers crossed.

Sharon

Offline Tim Bobbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 14 August 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Polarbearnoodles.
You mentioned Terry Morgan as being your father.  I was in the same class as him at Logie between 1951 and 1954. 
I was wondering if he is still around and still living in the Dundee area. I'm now living 20 miles or so from Dundee.  If Terry is still about, I'd like to make contact.
Terry is on this photo, as am I. 
Regards
Tony M.

Offline dundonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 14 August 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Tim Bobbin.     I recognised a few faces in your Logie class photo as some of these boys were in my class at Blackness Primary School (up to 1951).   ( I'm not sure if Rootschat rules permit this,  but I can identify Alex Christie;   John(?) Birse;  Keith Norrie;   James Alcorn;  and Willie Soutar. )                                                                                                   

'Dundonian'   at Romford,  Essex

Offline Tim Bobbin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 14 August 10 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dundonian.  Is there anyway to have a private chat on here?  I have only just joined - not really doing any research into Family Tree as a nephew is already doing it all.  He has all the paperwork etc and has gone as far back as the mid 1700's so far. 
I was hoping that perhaps I might find some old classmates through this link.
Regards
Tim Bobbin (aka Tony M)

Offline dundonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 14 August 10 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hello again,  Tim Bobbin.      Having reviewed the rules of Rootschat  I see that it is out of order to do anything that might identify a living person.    That being so,  I don't think I can take it any further with you.     Sorry about this.      If I'm wrong,  can someone put me straight please.

Kind regards,

Dundonian

Offline Sharon Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 05 January 18 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tim Bobbin

I'm reading this thread many years later in 2018.  Sorry I didn't see your post when you wrote it and many thanks for posting the photo of my father, Terry Morgan, during his school days.  Unfortunately he passed away in 1990.

Kind regards

Polarbearnoodles

Offline BleepyF

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee
« Reply #53 on: Friday 02 December 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering how long 13 Wilkie's Lane was around. My paternal great great grandpa lived there with his family in 1851.