Author Topic: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School  (Read 28748 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilkie's Lane, Dundee - School
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 September 08 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Pbn,

I just managed to open the photograph of your grandmother, lovely picture, you are so lucky to have it.

Betty 

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 September 08 13:20 BST (UK) »
Ahh!  Thanks again.

Good luck with tracing your Irish roots!

Pbn x

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello polarbearnoodles

Have you any links with the Cuthills of Inverkeillor who are part of my family?  They also ended up moving to Dundee after living in Arbroath.

breaky

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Breaky,

Yes, I do have some information about the Cuthills of Inverkeilor!  I began my research quite recently but I think I've found an amazing amount of information so far.  And, just last night, I managed to contact a long-lost Cuthill and I think he has a mine of information which he is happy to share with me!

Where do you fit into the Cuthills of Inverkeilor?

I am descended from a whole line of Robert Cuthill's.  One of these Robert's was married to Christina Gray and his son was William Cuthill who was born in 1848 and married Christina Japp.  Do these names ring any bells?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Polarbearnoodles,

I link in from James Cuthill, born 1841, son of Alexander Cuthill born 1802, who, I think, is Robert's brother.  Your other surnames are familiar, too. 

It's possible we are both in contact, as well, with the "long-lost Cuthill" you mention, who is the source of much of my information - I'll go check and get back to you.

It's good to hear from you.

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi - we're distantly related but I can't figure out the link!  I have Alexander and his son James in my tree but I can't trace them through to my home person without getting completely lost!  (this is on ancestry.com which I can access from work).

On my laptop at home I use Family Tree Maker (from the Who Do You Think You Are series) and it has a handy feature which tells you the relationship between two people but ancestry.com doesn't appear to have this feature (so frustrating!).

Alexander does have a brother called Robert but I don't think he is the same Robert as mine.  My Robert was born in 1808 and died in 1881 and according to his death cert, his parents were Robert Cuthill and Helen Jameson whereas I think your Robert was born in 1808 and died in 1881 and his and Alexander's parents were David Cuthill and Betty Jamieson.  I think I've seen a few published trees on ancestry.com which appear to mix these two Roberts up.

It's so easy to go off on the wrong track though so I'm happy to be corrected!

My long-lost Cuthill is a Robert Cuthill from Swansea who is closely related to me being my father's cousin.  I've seen mention of a Hugh Cuthill on the internet too.

I'll keep trying to work out the link between us and let you know when I do!

Great to hear from you too - I find all this fascinating!

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
 As I'm from the David Cuthill and Betty Jamieson branch, any relationship is, as you say, is a distant one, not as close as I thought, but with the unusual surname, it's worth making contact whenever it crops up!

I haven't explored much outside my own branch of Cuthills - no tree on Ancestry - and no shared cousin, either, it seems, but good luck with your searches.

I sympathize with your having to search for St Joseph's school - my old school in Dundee, Hawkhill primary, is still on its old site, but has been re-named Blackness primary - Blackness Road being a different street nearby and the original Hawkhill school road is now New Hawkhill...but at least there are lots of pictures of it on the Dundee Photo web-site.

Offline polarbearnoodles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 16:13 BST (UK) »
As you say, it's nice to find a fellow Cuthill descendant!

Please ask me if you have any questions about your Cuthill branch as I added them to my tree whenever I came across one so I just may have the answer.

Also, I'm going up to Inverkeilor and the surrounding areas on the weekend of 17/18 October so let me know if you would like photographs of anywhere.  My sister lives in Forfar so we're planning to visit all the old stamping grounds!

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 13:20 BST (UK) »
That's really kind of you to offer to take photographs while in Inverkeilor, but I do have a photo (and a transcription of the wording) of Alexander Cuthill's gravestone, from another Cuthill family member, together with a view of the church, so all my hopes are fulfilled already.

I find it so heartening that everyone researching family history is so willing to help one another.

Have an enjoyable weekend!