Author Topic: James Alexander Lamb - 1911 Census  (Read 10945 times)

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
Re: James Alexander Lamb - 1911 Census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 September 08 05:46 BST (UK) »
1906 census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberts
Alberta (Lethbridge)

William Stratton head 55 born Scotland
Jane wife  35 born Scotland
Ellen daughter 12 born Scotland
Andrew son 10 born Scotland
Jessie  daughter 7 born Scotland
William son 5 born Scotland
Robert son 2 born Scotland
James 1 born Alberta

Arrival in Canada 1904
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 September 08 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi  Lynwen,

Thanks. I think Mary Leslie Lamb is correct as this was her full name - her mother was Mary Leslie.

There is also a marriage for James Alexander Lamb to Ellen Wheeley/Poynton on 4 Dec 1920 in Vancouver.

James certainly didn't waste much time finding a second wife! How do I go about finding out more about her? Did they have more children?

Does anyone know how I might obtain marriage and death certificates? I'm based in UK.

Thanks for the info on the Stratton's Nell - I'll need to look into this one further.

It's great how quickly you all work!

Laurina  :D

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 September 08 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurina,

Sorry, I should have added more of an explanation on the BMD registrations here in BC.  The registrations are our equivalent of the UK BMD certificates only they contain a wealth of information like birthplace, parents names and birthplaces, immigration dates, occupation, next of kin, burial etc.  The later the registration, the more information recorded.

That's the good news, the bad news is that we have stringent privacy laws that limit the publication of births to 1903, marriages to 1932 and deaths to 1987.  If the event falls outside these dates, it is very difficult to obtain the information unless you are a direct relative.

Luckily, the published registration records are available on microfilm at many public libraries so it is a simple job to look up the copy and jot down the details.  I just have to suffer through a couple of boring meetings before I can escape to the library at lunch!  I only wish work was exciting as genealogy.   :P

Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 September 08 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,

So would I be able to find out much more about a marriage for James Alexander Lamb to Ellen Wheeley/Poynton on 4 Dec 1920 in Vancouver?

What about the deaths of James and his first wife Mary - would that give me more info?

Laurina

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 September 08 21:32 BST (UK) »
Here are the details from the marriage registration of 4 Dec 1920:

James Alexander Lamb, occupation Chauffeur, Widower, Presbyterian, 38yrs old, residence – 1439 Broadway West Vancouver, born Dundee Scotland, father James Lamb born Penniciuch Scotland, mother Margaret Stewart born Dundee, groom can read and write.

Ellen Wheeley, housewife, widow, Baptist, 44yrs old, residence 235 29th Ave East Vancouver, born Basford England, father William Poynton born Nottingham, mother Martha Turner born Nottingham, bride can read and write.

Married at 1438 Broadway West by a Presbyterian minister (name illegible), Harry Warren and Lizzie Harding were the witnesses.
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 September 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
Death - Mary Leslie Lamb

Mary Leslie Lamb died at Vancouver General Hospital of influenza and bronchial pneumonia, she was admitted 6 days before she died.  Born on 22 Oct 1885 in Scotland, father Archibald Downie born Scotland, mother Mary Leslie born Scotland.  Residence 4009 11th Ave West in Vancouver, prior to her death she lived in the city for 4yrs, in the province 4yrs and in Canada 10 yrs.  James was the informant.  Mary was buried on 29 Mar 1920 in Vancouver although no cemetery is listed.

and James Alexander Lamb

James Alexander Lamb died at Shaughnessy Hospital in Vancouver of bronchial pneumonia.  Prior to his death he lived in the city 2 ˝ months, the province 56yrs and Canada 57yrs.  Residence – 1488 West 20th Street in West Vancouver.  He was a widow, born Dundee Scotland on 27 Nov 1882.  Occupation – Postman, Federal Civil Service.  Years in Occupation 32, last worked 1950.  Wife’s name Ellen Poynton.  Father Lamb first name not know born in Scotland, mother not known born Scotland.  The informant was his daughter Dorothy M Stratton, her address was the same as his.  He was buried at Capilano View Cemetery in West Vancouver on 7 Sep 1967.

Shaughnessy Hospital was a long term care facility so he was probably admitted when his daughter could no longer care for him in the home.  He must have been quite ill when he was admitted as he died only 2 1/2 months later.
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 September 08 21:57 BST (UK) »

Nice, Lynwen !

William Hamilton Stratton died 1974 Vancouver ,June 20- age 73
1974-09-009498   M# B13333    GSU  M# 2050337
Daughter Dorothy must be within restricted dates...

Did you see higher up the page that there was more info on Stratton...? reply #7
I also added the 1911 census url which hadn't pasted yesterday...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 September 08 22:26 BST (UK) »
Wow Lynwen, I'm very impressed, you've come up trumps again. I'm amazed with the detail on the Canadian records.  This chap has been difficult to trace as he was known simply as Jack, who went to Canada.

I remember meeting Dorothy M Stratton, my father's cousin. Her and her husband visited England in 1968 and my my dad and I met them in London and took them round the main tourist sites. Dorothy - known as Margaret, gave me a head scarf with pictures of Vancouver on it which I still have 40 years later! I'm coming to visit Canada next year - can't wait!

She made quite an impression on me as a youngster.

Thanks J J for your imput - I need to investigate the Strattons as I don't know a great deal about them, I did me Bill Stratton in 1968 - he was a lovely gentleman.

I now need to find out more about Ellen, I guess she was too old to have any children with James, but did she have any from her first marriage? When did she arrive in Canada?

Your a great lot on this Canadian board - thanks again.

Laurina

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 September 08 22:27 BST (UK) »
I think Dorothy died in 1996

Laurina