Author Topic: McCALLION.  (Read 52961 times)

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCALLION.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 May 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve and Veronica
                                       Can you tell me where the information re Denis McCallion and Mary Sweeney came from?

Offline VjOsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 May 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Patrick my information came from Bridget death certificate, where it lists her father as Denis McCallion, farmer,  and her mother as Mary Sweeney. 

Steve, the information on ancestry is correct, with the exception that Agnes Cecilia is James's daughter (i.e. Bridget's granddaughter).   

I do have the information on Bridget's family once she arrives in Australia, but very little from Ireland, and I don't think anyone from Bridget's family does - this is mainly because she is listed as McCallion, McCallum, McCallen etc on various documents, and I think most of us assumed she was a McCallen.

Cheers

V

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
All

I sent a note to pamdixon11 at Ancestry.com asking her about her family tree which shows Denis McCallion (1805-1882) and Mary Sweeney (1812- ) as parents of Bridget McAllen (1834-1924) who married Edward Doherty (1816-1881) and their descendants.  I also invited her to join this blog.

Steve C.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
I am asking the wrong thing I think. What I am trying to find out is based on a report sent to me by Ann Simon some years ago. The reprort say the Mary Sweeney was from Milfordand when she was hired to a family in Muff she met and married Denis McCallion. The wedding it seems took place in Milford. This is something we have never heard of before this point and we are wondering who supplied this information. The report also says that Edward Doherty's father James(born c 1780/1790 Killlea) married an Elenor McColgan (born c1790 Iskaheen). The roport goes on to give Elenors parents, Edwards siblings etc. At another point it seems to trace the Doherty's back to c1630 in Killea.

With the best will in the world I think that some of the Doherty informaion at best is conjecture at best. Anyone else got thought on that?
o

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
Patrick

So, do you think that parents of Denis McCallion (1833 – 1914) were not Denis (b. 1805) and Mary Sweeney (b. 1812)?  In other words that Bridget McCallion and Denis (b.1833) weren't siblings?

Also, who did you mean by "wee Denis" and "Mary McCallion"?  I was assuming you meant Denis (b. 1833) but couldn't figure out which of the many Marys you meant.

Finally, I still don't understand who Mary Dever might be.  I did find a marriage record in Philadelphia of a James Devers and a Mary Crosson in 1893 which initially led me to think that Mary Dever might be Mary Crosson.  But that doesn't seem very likely since James Dever & Mary Dever were living in San Francisco at the time, and James Dever was naturalized there in 1890.

It seems to me that Mary Dever wasn't necessarily a McCallion. Couldn't she have been related to Annie Logue Feeney on the Logue side instead?  Just a thought.

Steve C.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 11:38 BST (UK) »
To be truthful I am in no position to dispute Denis being the son of Denis McCallion and Mary Sweeney what bothers me is where did this information come from as proir to have it been sent to me via Ann Simon no one had ever heard of this but that does no mean it is untrue it is just unproven.

The wee Denis I mentioned was the son of James McCallion and Anne Crossan of Clunelly. James and Anne were my grandparents so wee Denis was my uncle. This James McCallion was born 1867 in Meedenmore the son of Denis McCallion and Mary Ruddy and if the information correct this Denis was the son of Denis McCallion and Mary Sweeney.

Mary Dever was born Mary McCallion daughter of Denis McCallion and Mary Ruddy( sister to James) and she went to California c 1890 with or to join a sister Roseann (Roseann being Keiths line). Mary married a Hugh Dever/Diver( from Donagh parish Donegal we think)in California as far as we know and they sent the rest of their lives in USA

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
Patrick

Ah, this clarifies a lot for me.  I see that Mary Dever and Hugh Dever are buried in the same plot at Holy Cross cemetery in Colma. 

If Mary Dever and Ann Campbell were first cousins, then their fathers Denis (b. 1833) and Michael (born about the same time) would have to be brothers and have the same father. 

I got the impression that Michael's father was James McCallion (b. ~1799) but that now seems unlikely since the only James McCallion in Tithe Applotment 1837  & Griffiths 1851 lived in Iskaheen, not Three Trees.  There is also a question whether Denis' father was Denis (b. ~1800).

In the Tithe Applotment 1837, there are the following entries for Three Trees:
   Denis McCallion
   Denis McCallion
   Hugh McCallion
   William McCallion
This seems to suggest that there were two Denis McCallions (not sure if this is true).  At any rate all were presumably born in the early 1800's and any of them could have been fathers of Denis and Michael (except Hugh probably).

We know that Hugh was from Gortnamona and Marie & Dennis Reilly are in his line.  It seems possible that there is some confusion between the Denis who married Mary Sweeney and was the father of Bridget McAllen and the other Denis who may have been the father of Denis & maybe Michael.  There's also William Campbell who I don't have any information about.

What do you think?

Steve C.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 May 14 02:08 BST (UK) »
Steve
        Re the tithe it gives 5 names living in Meedenmore Manus Doherty, Andrew Barr, Thomas Barr William McCallion and Denis McCallion and you will see they appear to be grouped together as if they shared the land. (Re sharing the land we will come back to at another point). I am 99.9999% sure that this is the Denis McCallion we are discussing. There is another Denis McCallion who has a farm nearby( can't remember at this point where but I think it is called the Park or Horse park(working from memory here and its letting me down). I believe this to be the Glackmore McCallions. If we now go to other records we see mention of a Denis McCallion jnr and a Denis McCallion sen and another just Denis McCallion. Now who is who at this point?. is hard to say but what we know is that the Denis McCallion who married Mary Ruddy lived on the farm numbered 3A(see G.V.) It seems that Denis McCallion(1) who married Mary Sweeney had a farm of c30 acres and on his death(1878) the farm was shared by 3 brothers, Denis(2), Michael and an other, but who was the other?

On a death cert of Denis's(2) daughter it says the informat was Daniel McCallion(cousin). So we have gone through the baptismal records for St Patrick's Church to try and find Daniel and lo and behold there is 2, both born Meedenmore. 1 Daniel bjune b1876, parents Patrick McCallion and Unity Moran and 2 Daniel b Jan 9 1884 parents James McCallion and Mary Moran.

I think we will leaeve that for tonight as its now 2am and we have more ground to cover so to be continued.

Patrick

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 May 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
So the Tithe tells us there is 2 McCallions in Meedenmore. Going by the parish records there were 3 McCallions in Meedenmore at a point. This is misleading as Michael McCallion did not have any family I have been told but as far as I know. So how do these folk fit into the picture? Keith procured the Cancelled Land Books for the area and in the remarks colum on on of the pages there is a note which says "Rundale holding?". This entry was made a long time after rundale Holdings were abolished but this leaves us with the question was the principals of a Holding maintained until after the death of Denis(1)?. At this point I will let you google Rundale Holding and then let me know what you think. Steve do you want a copy of the report that Ann Simon sent?