Author Topic: McCALLION.  (Read 52999 times)

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCALLION.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
I've been analyzing the Iskaheen RC baptism records & other sources and it looks to me as though there are the following McCallion groupings: Aught, Glackmore/Meedinmore, Gortnamona/Clunelly and Iskaheen. 

Glackmore & Meedinmore are within walking distance (with Three Trees between).  Clunelly is to the East and Aught is to the West.  Marie mentions Quigley's Point which is East of Clunelly.  I can't find Gortnamona on the map but I assume that it was in the area of Quigley's Point.  Iskaheen is south between Three Trees and Muff.

Patrick Ruddy & Keith Brehmer fall in the Meedinmore group starting with Denis McCallion (~1800 - ?) & Mary Sweeney (~1805-?).  This line is Denis (1800)/Mary Sweeney -> Denis (1833)/Mary Ruddy -> James (1867)/Annie Crosson -> Bernard Ruddy/Margaret McCallion -> Patrick (don't know about Keith's relatives but know they are cousins).

I (Steve Campbell) fall in the Glackmore group starting with James McCallion (~1799-1870) & Mary Laughlin (?) (1800-?) -> Michael (McCallion) Campbell (~1833)  & Margaret Logue -> James R. Campbell & Mary Logue -> Weldon Campbell -> me.

Marie and Dennis Reilly fall in the Gortnamona group starting with Edward McCallion (~1815-?) & wife Mary -> James (b. 1848) & Nancy Barr -> Michael & Ellen Bradley (to Marie), Denis & Margaret Doherty (to Dennis Reilly) and possibly James & Mary Anne Deeny.

It seems possible that James McCallion (b. ~1799) of Glackmore & Dennis McCallion (b. ~1800) of Meedinmore could be brothers.  The Meedinmore & Glackmore groups seem to be closely related.  My great-grandfather Michael (McCallion) Campbell was from Glackmore and his wife Margaret Logue was from Meedinmore.  They are related to Margeys, Feeneys, Logues, McDevitts & McDaids. 

I probably have some of this wrong but it's helped me make sense of things.  I believe that there's a good chance that I'm related to Patrick & Keith but less so to Marie & Dennis.  Ironically, I was born in Pacific Northwest but live in the Boston area where Dennis' relatives immigrated in the 1900s and changed their name to Campbell!

Any comments & corrections are appreciated.

Steve C.

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
Another question: have any of the males done the Y-chromosome test?  I did the Family DNA test kit and it came out clearly Irish.  I only had one close match which was a certain Claude Massey (deceased) but I can't find any Masseys in the Iskaheen RC records.  I'm currently waiting for more precise analysis but I guess that if Patrick & Keith are related, it's at least 6 generations back.

Steve C.

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve,

The Gornamona and Aught McCallions are my direct line.  The Edward McCallion (1815) and wife Mary are not my connection.  James McCallion's father was Hugh McCallion (Tithe Records) in Gortnamona.

There were McCallions in Gortagore, Three Trees as well.  The last known on this line is 90 years young and I have questioned her.

Steve, my great grandmother was a Margey from Clunelly.  Feeney's lived next door to my McCallion's in Gortnamona.  Logues are popular in Clunelly area, so it's all within radius.  McDevitt and McDaid are the same name.

Marie
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 04:24 BST (UK) »
Marie

I apologize for making the mistake.  Yes, I see that Hugh McCallion is mentioned as living in Gortnamona in 1837 & 1857. 

Patrick & Keith

I meant to say that if I'm related to you, then it's at least six generations back.

Thank you all for your help.

Steve C.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 May 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again Marie and Steve.
                                        Marie as I recall you suggested that wee Denis(Meedenmore) and Mary McCallion Bradley were 2nd cousins and if so that links the Meedenmore McCallions to the Gortnamona McCallions and if the information on San Francisco Census (1920) is correct then this would connect the Meedenmore McCallion to the Glackmore McCallions. That in turn would connect all 3 families something that would not come as a great surprise there just has never been any clues to that being the case

Offline VjOsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 May 14 05:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

My name is Veronica and I live in Australia.  My GG Grandmother was Bridget McCallion (1834-1924) who married Edward Doherty and then emigrated to Australia in 1854.  Bridget's parents were Denis McCallion & Mary Sweeney.  I had no details of any of Bridget's siblings until seeing this post today. 

Cheers

Veronica

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 May 14 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

I wonder if you could contact me by e.mail. I have a number of questions I would like to ask re Bridget and Edward and the source of your information.

Offline cbluesdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 May 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Veronica

My understanding is that Denis McCallion (1805-1882) & Mary Sweeney (1812-?) had at least three children (maybe more that I don't know about):
    Denis McCallion (1833 – 1914)
    Bridget McAllen (1834 – 1924)
    Ann McCallion (1842 – ?)

Bridget (McCallion) McAllen married Edward Doherty (1816 – 1881).  According to the Alexander Penrice Stuart family tree in Ancestry.com, Bridget & Edward had these children:
    James (1854-1911)
    Mary (1856-1895)
    Ellen (1858-1859)
    Edward (1862-1938)
    Eliza Jane (1864-1936)
    Elizabeth (1867-1867)
    Catherine (1868-1949)
    William Alfred (1870-1951)
    Agnes Cecilla (1888-1958)

So, it looks to me as though you have a common ancestor with Patrick & Keith in Denis McCallion & Mary Sweeney.

Steve C.

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 May 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome Veronica to Rootschat.  Good to hear from another McCallion looking for their roots.   :)
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.